Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley Eyes Potential Comeback? (Csnwashington)

Commander Chaaarmnder

Chris was never fully healthy the last 2 or 3 years he played. He was getting his knee drained multiple times a week.

If he is now fully healthy, hasn't had the wear and tear on his body for the last 2 years, combined with all the tape he has broken down and studied, he may just surprise some people if given the chance. I for one would root for him regardless if it was or wasn't with the Redskins.

does anyone think that he would entertain the idea of playing anywhere besides with the Skins? 

what's the % that he's gotten intetrest from Skins? I think for  him to even give this any thought, 75%.  I see a player/coach capacity. 

(UPDATE :: good grief, Cards want him and I could not have been more wrong on Skins interest. I really thought he would never entertain another team.) 

I've got no problem with us trying him out, but I don't think he'll make it.  I'm assuming he wouldn't play special teams?  Seems like that would be a big selling point to teams looking for a #3 TE, but I don't remember him playing special teams when he was here.  He was a guy that I thought would actually have a long career because his game didn't really rely on athleticism - he was a guy who was just always open.  Not necessarily because he juked his defender...more like he just knew spots on the field where there wouldn't be defenders.

His signature game no doubt, with Parcells standing around sucking eggs on the sideline.

He did a Q & A on ES the week before that game. My question was asked first. I asked if Parcells telling him he wasn't NFL material before the draft was motivation for him. He was diplomatic, but said yes.

That's the acme of my ES tenure.

Anything for a story in the dregs of summer. CC47 had little left in 2012, and nothing by '13. He was never Tony Gonzalez in the skills or longevity departments. We love Cooley bc he's ours, but I doubt anyone else in the league shares the same sentiment.

Love Chris  Cooley, what ever he feels is best for himself I'am all for it, as long as he can be a factor on the field and not look like a player trying to recapture the "Good old Days" and fail miserably . Plus when he was with the Skins, and was trying to work a contract extension, and there was somewhat of a issue of Chris possiably not getting a deal, I remember he wanted to be a Redskin, if not he would retire.

Would Chris Cooley, really consider the  Cardinals  as a option  if the Redskins did not have a  roster spot? Hail 

I don't see it. But he's already in the building all the time. Couldn't hurt to give him a checkup to see what kind of shape he's in.

Is he better than the bottom ranked guy coming to camp on day 1?

He's about a million times smarter when it comes to the game of football, for whatever that may be worth.  Funny since he's tried to cultivate this laid back careless Spicoli image but when you hear the dude talk about the game, break down some film, explain concepts and assignments, it's like your stoner buddy suddenly revealing he's actually pretty well versed in quantum physics.

He would be a great coordinator, maybe not coach per se, but I'd pay him to draw up plays for sure.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13302308/arizona-cardinals-interested-signing-chris-cooley

The Arizona Cardinals have spoken with tight end Chris Cooley, who has said he wants to make a comeback, and have expressed interest in signing him, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Cooley, 33, left the NFL after the 2012 season and started a broadcasting career, but he never officially retired and has been working out hard this offseason with an eye on returning to the league.

I'm rooting for ya Chris!

All the best to him. he was a good team player. Plus he was all about the lulz, so I kinda see this as his Marky Mark Invincible moment, just to have some fun and play the game he loves. If he catches on, good for him. If he doesn't, he'll have had fun and still have a career ahead of him.

Yep just saw this ESPN report as of last night:  

"The Arizona Cardinals have spoken with tight end Chris Cooley, who has said he wants to make a comeback, and have expressed interest in signing him, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13302308/arizona-cardinals-interested-signing-chris-cooley

I wouldn't think so. Gruden, the current tight end coach, McCloughan, etc. don't really have much of a relationship with Cooley. They weren't here when he was great, good, or even struggling. Heck, they just weren't there. He's a Redskins favorite to the fans who remember him, but there's been so much turnover that the will to give Cooley a shot for old time's sake would be really unlikely except as a PR move.

If Gibbs was still here I could see it. Gibbs loves his old gnarled up, grizzly vets. Cooley is just a name and some tape to this staff.

Archived