Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

Name

Role Jon Gruden Defensive Quality Control, Defensive Backs, Assistant Defensive Backs, Defensive Assistant Mike Shanahan Secondary

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/MorrRa0.htm

I didn't realize his role was expanded under Gruden, how can you be ^

I'm guessing before and after, not at the same time.  

Edit, at the link it shows he was DC at Kansas State for a year in between roles.

John Keim says the decision to bring back Haslett isn't solely up to Gruden, which is just so depressing to me.  We are such a massively dysfunctional organization.

Why is it depressing?  I think the management of a lot of organizations have an influence in decisions like this.  I'm not saying that our management is as good as other teams, but I don't think it's unheard of that management gets involved with things like this.

If we fire Haslett, just to promote Morris to DC, I'll be pissed.  We need someone who has a proven track record of success.

Why is it depressing?  I think the management of a lot of organizations have an influence in decisions like this.  I'm not saying that our management is as good as other teams, but I don't think it's unheard of that management gets involved with things like this.

If we fire Haslett, just to promote Morris to DC, I'll be pissed.  We need someone who has a proven track record of success.

If a Coach can't pick his own staff what worth the Coach?

Not just here but in ANY pro football organisation. 

Hail. 

You owe me a coke. lol. no seriously, I want something out this.

Of we're ever at a game together, I'll buy you a coke. Or beer.

But I haven't been to a game in ages. And it doesn't look good for the future. So I wouldn't get your hopes up.

If a Coach can't pick his own staff what worth the Coach?

Not just here but in ANY pro football organisation.

Hail.

Coaches can generally pick their own staff, but, as in life, having checks and balance isn't terrible. Sometimes your boss has to save you from making a stupid decision. Now, the real problem is that I don't trust Jay, Bruce OR Dan to get this right.

Maybe if they all work together, and we have Devine Intervention, they can get it right.

Coaches can generally pick their own staff, but, as in life, having checks and balance isn't terrible. Sometimes your boss has to save you from making a stupid decision. Now, the real problem is that I don't trust Jay, Bruce OR Dan to get this right.

Maybe if they all work together, and we have Devine Intervention, they can get it right.

FWIW, I sincerely hope it is left with Gruden, he goes and retains Haslett, and all those that are trying so vainly and failing so spectacularly to justify retaining him for the sake of continuity can sit back and reap the seeds of their 'misguided' logic. 

Hail. 

http://es.redskins.com/topic/382538-wp-redskins’-3-4-defense-finally-built-to-jim-haslett’s-liking-is-capable-of-causing-havoc/?p=9957141

2015 Defensive Coordinator, Washington Redskins:

Candidates:

- Pepper Johnson - DLine - Bills

- Mike Vrabel - LB - Texans

- Dick Bumpas - DC - TCU

- Lou Spanos - LB - Titans 

- Kirby Smart - DC - Alabama

- Mark Duffner - LB - Dolphins

- Justin Wilcox - DC - USC

FWIW, I sincerely hope it is left with Gruden, he goes and retains Haslett, and all those that are trying so vainly and failing so spectacularly to justify retaining him for the sake of continuity can sit back and reap the seeds of their 'misguided' logic. 

Hail. 

The only thing that could possibly make that scenario even more rich, laughable, would be for Gruden to promote his son to a paid position, while Haz does the same for his son.

Might as well go full circus. 

1. Vic Fangio, defensive coordinator – San Francisco 49ers  –  Fangio is the defensive coordinator for the 49ers and their defense has been ranked in the top five of the league the past four seasons.  A very impressive stat.  Vic Fangio has extensive experience as coordinator in the NFL, having been defensive coordinator for the Panthers, Colts, and Texans in addition to the 49ers.

http://riggosrag.com/2014/12/27/washington-redskins-defensive-coordinator-possibilities/

I usually hate threads like this.

That being said, and I hate to admit it, but Wade Phillips has been known to make Filet Mignon out of roast beef. We got a lot of roast beef on this wack ass team.

1. Vic Fangio, defensive coordinator – San Francisco 49ers – Fangio is the defensive coordinator for the 49ers and their defense has been ranked in the top five of the league the past four seasons. A very impressive stat. Vic Fangio has extensive experience as coordinator in the NFL, having been defensive coordinator for the Panthers, Colts, and Texans in addition to the 49ers.

http://riggosrag.com/2014/12/27/washington-redskins-defensive-coordinator-possibilities/

Why would Fangio make a lateral move from a team loaded with defensive talent, to a team of scrubs like the Redskins? Not to mention the fact, even with the Harbaugh drama, that this organization sucks compared to the 49ers.

I usually hate threads like this.

That being said, and I hate to admit it, but Wade Phillips has been known to make Filet Mignon out of roast beef. We got a lot of roast beef on this wack ass team.

Why would Fangio make a lateral move from a team loaded with defensive talent, to a team of scrubs like the Redskins? Not to mention the fact, even with the Harbaugh drama, that this organization sucks compared to the 49ers.

I agree on both points Bantu, his name keeps popping up, but I don't see him coming here. 

Redskins Defensive Coordinator Possibilities:  This is a list of possible defensive coordinators for the Washington Redskins in the event that current DC Jim Haslett isn’t retained in the position.

More chance of Fat Albert losing a pound than Mike Nolan ever coming back to this town. 

The only thing that could possibly make that scenario even more rich, laughable, would be for Gruden to promote his son to a paid position, while Haz does the same for his son.

Might as well go full circus. 

This is why you always have been and always will be one of my fav. posters.

Completely and utterly on my wavelength, 

Love yer man, Your misguided love of rentboys thing not withstanding. (How's that for a late 'Taken out of Context' thread entry this year?  :lol:.).

Hail. 

Redskins Defensive Coordinator Possibilities:  This is a list of possible defensive coordinators for the Washington Redskins in the event that current DC Jim Haslett isn’t retained in the position.

No offense to you, but the names offered in that blog are toilet paper worthy.

It's ****

1. Vic Fangio, defensive coordinator – San Francisco 49ers

Amateurish writers never make mention of a coach's contract, which is prohibitive of lateral moves, in these fantasy hires. Furthermore, can someone please write a worthwhile reason to hire a certain coach, like, you know ... based on scheme, or blitz packages, or observations other than: "they have lots of good players and they make lots of good plays, and they be good 'cause they win games ... let's hire him."

It just a lazy mention even if Fangio is a genius.

I think the personnel department of San Fran has just as much ownership for the defense's success as the D. Coordinator.

They have good players, the good players were brought there by Scouts and Directors and GMs.

2. Dennis Thurman, defensive coordinator – New York Jets

What is this fascination with Rex Ryan and the Jets? 

Why would hiring the subordinate to Rex Ryan be advantageous to us? 

If anything, Rex gets props from former players like Ray Lewis because of his personality and passion, his camaraderie. By hiring the "defensive coordinator" under Ryan, does anyone think you are going to get ANY of the supposed Ryan "positives" like: "personality," etc.? 

I don't. 

I don't know Thurman from Adam, but ... plundering from a team that's probably worse than we are, in the Jets, just seems like typical Redskins executive decisions. The Jets are a clown show like the Skins.

Can we just simply use commonsense here? 

3. Mike Nolan

Haha! - Do I even need to respond to this one?

If the writer hadn't lost his audience with the previous two mentions, then mentioning Nolan, back here

with the Skins, under Snyder, is just retarded. 

side note: If you actually read the blurbs from the writer, it's always the same thing. All of the candidates are from organizations that might fire their respective staffs. 

That's it!

Those are the reasons this writer: "Barksdale," uses for offering these candidates. It's mindnumbingly droll. 

4. Jerry Gray

OK, again, let's just read what Barksdale writes, what Barksdale provides as a reason to hire someone:

Gray played nine seasons in the NFL as a defensive back mostly with the Rams. 

Gray has previous experience as a defensive coordinator with the Buffalo Bills and the Tennessee Titans.  He was DB’s coach for the Redskins from 2006-2009 under both Joe Gibbs and Jim Zorn.

Gray is currently the defensive backs coach for the Minnesota Vikings.  He has plenty of experience and already understands what it’s like to coach for the Washington Redskins.

OK, is there a reason to hire this man listed somewhere in here that I'm not reading?

OR, has the writer simply given us a timeline of the man's positions?

How about talking in a little detail of how Gray burned the bridges so bad in Tennessee that few teams are even willing to give him the title of Defensive Coordinator in this league again ...

What, no mention? - No ****. 

The only why given by the writer is: "He has plenty of experience and already understands what it's like to coach for the Redskins." 

Great.

Awesome reason to hire someone.

He did leave the Skins before you know. And Gray doesn't seem to make many long-lasting relationships with the various teams he's with. In for a cup of coffee and then out.

How about talking about how the players improved or didn't under the coach. How about talking about what coverages they play ... is it man or zone? / is it press or soft?

How about talking about how the players respond to the coach, does he motivate?

That article / blog was vapid of real information. This writer is lazy as ****. 

No offense to you. 

Archived