Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: KAI FORBATH NAMED NFC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK

TK

For Immediate Release

October 29, 2014

KAI FORBATH NAMED

NFC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The National Football League announced today that Washington Redskins kicker Kai Forbath has been named the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week for his performance in a Week 8 overtime win against the Dallas Cowboys.

Against the Cowboys, Forbath converted two field goal attempts including the eventual game-winner, a 40-yard attempt, on the Redskins’ first possession of overtime in a 20-17 road win on Monday Night Football. His performance came a week after setting a career high with four field goals including a game-winning 22-yarder at the end of regulation against the Tennessee Titans in Week 7.

Forbath has made his last nine attempts and is 13-of-14 (92.9 percent) on field goal attempts this season. For his career, he has converted 48-of-54 field goal attempts (88.9), the highest percentage of any kicker in franchise history with a minimum of 50 attempts.

This marks the first NFC Special Teams Player of the Week award of Forbath’s career. He is the first member of the Redskins to earn the honor since Graham Gano in Week 16 of the 2010 season.

Redskins players have won 86 Player of the Week awards, including 13 NFC Special Teams Player of the Week honors, since the NFL started awarding weekly honors in 1984. Forbath joins Gano, Hunter Smith, Santana Moss, Ryan Plackemeier, Shaun Suisham, Antonio Brown, Brian Mitchell (three times), Matt Turk (twice) and Chip Lohmiller as the only members of the Redskins to receive the award.

We just need more penalties on the other team to keep moving the kickoff up to the 50 yard line so he can boom them into the stands lol.

Yes it takes 15 yard penalties for Kai to kick it out of the endzone.  Can you imagine before they moved the kickoff up?  The other team could FAIR-CATCH the return at the 20 automatically if they wanted lol

Man, Forbath has definitely been on fire on FGs this season. Reminds me of 2012 when we signed him after the bucs game (or was it after the vikings game?) and he went 17/17 to set the record for most consecutive FGs for a rookie kicker. Ended up 17/18 due to a missed field goal against dallas in week 17. taking away last season, forbath is 30/32. adding last season to his numbers, he is 48/54 (was 18/22 last season due to a few blocked FGs). hes been a pretty reliable field goal kicker i think.

First, the qualifications, then the accolades.

Forbath did get a little help from some penalties.

Still, he did excellent work.  Clutch field goals, and put ball in endzone mostly helping to avoid huge returns.

As Redskins fans, we obviously know how important solid field goal kicking is.  The fact that Forbath has pretty consistently made things farther than 40 yards is excellent, there was quite a long period where even chip shots were questionable.  Last year, he seemed injured but since he healed he's gotten very consistent.

Congrats, and keep it up!

IIRC he had 4 misses last year, 2 of which were blocked, and 1 of those blocked was from 59 yards anyway. And he was injured for part of the year anyway, so even last year, he was fine. Kai missed games last year, and the guy who replaced him missed some attempts; I think people tend to conflate his misses with Kai's.

yeah i even posted what his stats were last season: 18/22. thats only 4 misses which isnt too bad, especially since you said 2 of the 4 misses were blocked. hes been pretty good since we signed him.

Kai has really turned into a great kicker. It takes away the sting of watching Gano blast bombs every weekend.

I wasnt a fan of the Redskins letting Gano go. I know Gano was going to be a solid kicker, but needed time to grow. Atleast the Skins have found a kicker who is more reliable this early in his career.

Great job now lets trade him.

#HellNo

LOL

He's been awesome, and got us(for me)the sweetest win of the season so far.

And yes, he has the coolest name, right up there with Colt McCoy...

Can't believe Moseley never won it, or did they not give that award way back then? #3 is always in my Redskins lottery numbers, he was da man!

Archived