Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bigger benching Cousins or Polumbus

Burgold

Chris Russell alluded to some private issues that are "really big" that are impacting Polumbus, but of course he's been sworn to secrecy.  I think the Cousins benching is bigger because, for some reason, you can't bench the QB no matter how badly he might be playing.

What we learned last week was that players on this team weren't being held accountable for anything and that things were reaching a boiling point.

Gruden made the biggest "move" of his young coaching career by letting the guys know that if they aren't helping us win games, they will be watching from the sidelines.  

Had he not benched Cousins en route to a home loss against Charlie "Clipboard Jesus" Whitehurst, then I think there would have been some major shakeups in the FO.  My guess is that Bruce would have fired Haslett to keep his own job secure.

I'm not sure if Gruden is the long-term answer for us as head coach, but if he keeps making power-moves like he did today then I think the future may be very bright!

For me its Cousins. I truly thought he was a pretty good QB that was going to get better with playing time. In fact, I thought given eight or so games to start, that it was going to be tough for Griffin to get his starting job back from Cousins when he was healthy. Well, obviously that was so wrong and I will go as far as to say that Cousins should be ashamed of himself. He was given a golden opportunity to prove himself and become the starting QB of the Washington Redskins. Not only did he fail, but he failed miserably. He got progressively worst instead of progressively better, resulting in his ultimate benching in favor of McCoy today.

The interceptions that he has thrown-- including that one today-- are some of the absolute worse picks I've seen by a N.F.L QB and the fact that he keeps doing the same thing and not learning from his mistakes is unbelievable. I mean think about every pick this kid has thrown. They've all been clean Ints. thrown directly into the hands of a player for the opposing team. No tipped balls, no hurries where he was ready to get crushed. Just pathetic reads and throws that go right into the lap of a defender. I've been critical of Gruden so far, but I give him credit for benching Cousins. It had to be a hard decision for him, because I believe he likes Cousins and thought that he had a good chance to become the permanent starter. I'm not convinced we win today with Cousins playing the second half and it looks like it was a winning move by Gruden to bench him.

Chris Russell alluded to some private issues that are "really big" that are impacting Polumbus, but of course he's been sworn to secrecy.  I think the Cousins benching is bigger because, for some reason, you can't bench the QB no matter how badly he might be playing.

I hope he's OK and that the major issue is something he can overcome in time (and that it's not that his wife has cancer or he is battling alcoholism)

Part of me wonders how Moses would play as a guard. You don't play out on the edge so there's less space...

Not that I'm giving up on Moses outside yet, because I'm not. Just kind of thinking out loud.

Its not giving up. Finding a spot where a 3rd round rookie could start and (possibly) excel is terrific. Outside or inside, from a franchise point of view...it shouldn't matter.

Its more productive play at a cheaper cost than Chester or Lauvao. That's a win win. We need to upgrade the overall level of play on our team. If Moses can do that at Guard, then we can devote Cap Room and Draft Picks elsewhere knowing at least one Guard spot is solidified.

Its getting to the point where I don't care what spot we drafted a player for, because that hasnt been working. I care how we can get them to contribute. Getting starting value at a lesser position is better than no value at a greater position.

Part of me wonders how Moses would play as a guard. You don't play out on the edge so there's less space...

Not that I'm giving up on Moses outside yet, because I'm not. Just kind of thinking out loud.

Heck ya, why not! We have 3 positions along the Oline that are basically turn stiles.. Get the kid(s) reps everywhere and anywhere along the line to see if he can compete!

Cousins is the backup, so his leash should be short to begin with, especially with what people say is a capable third QB in McCoy.

Polumbus is likely starting because the coaches feel there is a huge dropoff in the next guy up, so his benching seems like a bigger eye-opener.

I like the fact that he is willing to bench them. I don't think anybody would've blamed him for letting Cousins ride it out until RG3 got back. This shows that no matter what the situation is, you won't play if you're not producing. I'm curious to see what happens when Perry Riley is healthy.

Look who couldn't make our team as a backup OL but has started every game for another:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/team/roster/Mike-McGlynn/6eefbe62-0b03-4839-9dfe-f4af70b48a35

Maybe the problem is the Redskins don't have an eye for players who can contribute.

Or Gruden got saddled with another terrible position coach. I really worry about his staff.

Its more productive play at a cheaper cost than Chester or Lauvao. That's a win win. We need to upgrade the overall level of play on our team. If Moses can do that at Guard, then we can devote Cap Room and Draft Picks elsewhere knowing at least one Guard spot is solidified.

Not a terrible idea, but if we do this, I hope RG3 takes his time coming back. I already fear that what happened to Cousins has happened to RG3. I don't want him coming back into an OL train wreck. Unfortunately, that may happen no matter what the coaches do.

Polumbus, & Chester are a fracking horror show. Chester continually gets blown up in no ways a 783lb man ever should. It's really become quite hysterical. We actually play a game at the bar now called "how far out of position did Chester get relocated on that play?"

Lich had a bad game today too though. Balls...our OL is so torturous to set eyes upon it actually makes you want to pour acid directly onto your retinas.

"6. The Redskins have a problem at right tackle. Swinging gate Tyler Polumbus was benched for the second time in three weeks. Backup Tom Compton's penalty nullified a brilliant 36-yard DeSean Jackson reception on the game-winning drive. Compton was called upon because third-round rookie Morgan Moses has been a major disappointment thus far." -From NFL.com

That says it all. To go into this season with the plan we did at right tackle was criminal. We all knew Polumbust sucks and the guy we drafted to replace him struggled at the RT position at UVA so they moved him to LT where he had success. So our blockhead FO drafts him to be RT. Moses isn't the disappointment here, the disappointment lands at the feet of the FO who thought a Polumbus/Moses combination was adequate enough for this year. I know we were hung out to dry from the cap penalty and this was the first year we had the full amount back so we had to rebuild the roster, but RT should have been priority #1 along with RG. Keeping the same two starters and drafting two 3rd picks to address those positions was an idiotic plan. Especially when one of those 3rd round picks was a LT and had dropped an entire round from his projected selection position in the draft.

It's time for the Front Office to stop putting Bandaids on the secondary and offensive line. Go out and get some real talent this offseason please!

Much as it destroys me to say this: Cowboys.

They built from the O line out and are 6-1. Sucks major but there's yet another example. Bummed.

Look who couldn't make our team as a backup OL but has started every game for another:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/team/roster/Mike-McGlynn/6eefbe62-0b03-4839-9dfe-f4af70b48a35

Maybe the problem is the Redskins don't have an eye for players who can contribute.

Signed with Kansas City (8/27/14) ... Released by Washington (8/26/14) ... Signed by the Washington Redskins (3/28/14) ... Signed by the Indianapolis Colts (3/19/12) ... Acquired off waivers by Cincinnati (9/4/11) ... Waived by Philadelphia (9/3/11) ... Selected with the Eagles fourth-round pick (109th overall) in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Maybe he's just not a good fit with the Colts, Redskins, and Bengals.  Maybe the guy was a fit for Andy Reid all along, who drafted him in the first place.

Drives me crazy... so many other teams put their best 5 linemen on the field.  We seem to pick a guy out and say "He's gonna play RT in 3 years" and leave it at that.  We out think ourselves.

I totally agree that he very well could be better than Chester or Luavao.  Maybe he isn't, but why not see?  We know Polumbus plays well at guard, he's just 10 feet tall.

EDIT:  I think Greg Robinson was playing guard for the Rams earlier this season and he was like the 2nd pick in the draft.  If they can do that with that high of a pick then we can do it with late round picks :lol: .  Great post, coach.

Drives me crazy... so many other teams put their best 5 linemen on the field.  We seem to pick a guy out and say "He's gonna play RT in 3 years" and leave it at that.  We out think ourselves.

I totally agree that he very well could be better than Chester or Luavao.  Maybe he isn't, but why not see?  We know Polumbus plays well at guard, he's just 10 feet tall.

Agreed. If they don't think he is ready to play RT but can possibly play guard why not play him! You can continue to work with him as the future RT while he actually helps the team at guard. 

Chris is my guy, a lot of you know that.  But he's also really close with Tyler Polumbus.

I'm going off of what Jay said and the look on his face.  It was one of those "he ****ed up so he had a seat" and kind of left it at that.  But like you said, he did allude to Tyler playing injured.  So there is that.

Agreed. If they don't think he is ready to play RT but can possibly play guard why not play him! You can continue to work with him as the future RT while he actually helps the team at guard. 

I still think one of our better o-lines was when Trent was suspended at the end of 2010 (or was it 2011?) and we just put our no-**** best five guys out there.  Brown was down, I think, and Kory was also down for the season and had been since the Eagles game which was like week 4.  But we had guys like Willie Smith and Mo Hurt out there playing and we ran the ball at a good clip those last couple of weeks and had decent pass pro as well.

Good.   I'm glad... Might as well get Compton/ Moses in there.  Was Moses' inactivation due to injury or does anyone know?

I agree the chemistry is not there. Having said that during the game there wasn't much difference in gameplay once the change was made. So no matter what Compton while having had very limited game time isn't the impact player we need.

Moses though will actually be a train wreck. I'm not sure which game I saw him play in the 2nd half but he didn't know the difference between the o line and the lunch line. He looked completely lost. He got Kirk flattened on one play and duress on another only a few plays apart. He needs reps I get it and rather have it with Kirk or colt but I think he needs at least another off season before we try him and definitely not when Robert comes back.

Much as it destroys me to say this: Cowboys.

They built from the O line out and are 6-1. Sucks major but there's yet another example. Bummed.

I'll admit Dallas line is pretty good. But I dont think it's the new blue print to a quality oline. You can look all around the league and see line from the 1st round to UDFA starting. It's about developing players to me. I dont think dallas does well developing players so they have to go 1st round multiple years to have a good line.

I personally have faith in Moses and Long to be solid linemen for us in the future.

Ohh I almost forgot...................F**K dallASS

Hail!

staff edit---

6. Do not attempt to circumvent the profanity filters.

Type in your word and let the filters do their job of substituting asterisks for letters. Then check your post to see if all profanity was filtered. Veiled or "subtle" attempts at using profanity are unacceptable. We allow the use of either all asterisks/symbols or none at all. For example "****" and "*&*%$" are acceptable, while “s**t” or “sh*t" are not.

Members quoting profanity filter violations (or other rule violations) without editing the violation out of the quote are simply creating another violation of this Rule and may be penalized accordingly. 

Archived