Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DC Sports Curse Thread.

HailGalvatron

26 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

You listed 18 guys spanning 11 years...and I'm not even sure many of them were "marginal starters" as you describe them. 

Eric Williams, for example, had a 10-year career and started every game in 8 of those seasons (both for the Redskins and Lions). Tim Johnson was very similar (both for the Redskins and Steelers). Olkewicz was a very good player who was also a legit NFL starter (137 starts over 11 years). Brad Edwards wasn't great, but was a 2nd round pick! 

These guys weren't Pro Bowlers, but were perfectly legitimate starters on contending teams. Especially given the even more impressive talent they were surrounded by. 

Actually only listed 18 guys from the 3 Super Bowl winning teams/years ... and they were described as "marginal to average".  

And you said "stacked with talent at every position" .... which they clearly were not ... and was easily demonstrated.

And Dan Reeves and Marv Levy have no business being mentioned in the same sentence as Joe Gibbs.

5 hours ago, 10 said:

Actually only listed 18 guys from the 3 Super Bowl winning teams/years ... and they were described as "marginal to average".  

And you said "stacked with talent at every position" .... which they clearly were not ... and was easily demonstrated.

And Dan Reeves and Marv Levy have no business being mentioned in the same sentence as Joe Gibbs.

OK man. If you don't think that our team had a major personnel advantage over most others, I don't really know how to continue this conversation. Maybe saying we were stacked at "every position" was hyperbole on my part. I admit that was overstating it. But, the 1980s was an era of haves and have-nots. The teams led by rich owners could buy talented rosters while many other teams could not. Combine Cooke's wealth with having the best GM of that era, and we were perennially in the top-5 when it comes to overall talent. 

Gibbs was special too. I even stated that someone like Reeves or Levy would have probably won one Super Bowl. Gibbs won three. I'm not insulting him as much as spreading the credit around to other key members of the organization from that time period. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Most people refer to the DC Curse as the four major sports including college athletics.  I will, however, take anything I can get.  So way to go Mystics!  Win the championship please.  Props to the DC United as well, I remember those MLS Championships.  Who watches MLS though seriously?  No offense to anyone, but that is amateur soccer.

Archived