Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To My Fellow Fans: Don't Let the Redskins Ruin the Redskins For You

kleese

First of all, I've been on ES since 2001, and I've been known to produce some wild rambles. Warning: Here comes another.

I also fancy myself an armchair psychiatrist (as evidenced by the RG3 insecurity thread). So have a seat on my couch, and you can send me a PM after reading and I can give you the address of where to send the check.

The frustration and anger is palpable among the die hards. Words like "misery, debacle, disgrace, hell (that was mine)," etc getting tossed around. Threads about not enjoying football as much anymore. Threads about not enjoying life as much anymore. Threads about how the stadium sucks, the owner sucks, the team sucks, the NFL sucks. Threads about how people just can't and won't care as much anymore.

And it's not even October yet!

Before we can make a real diagnosis and prescribe an antidote; we must first get to the core of why you are even here in the first place.

So why is (insert your name here) a Redskins fan? And why does it matter?

The "E" in ES is an important designation. This place represents the die hard fan. The rabid fan. The mildly embarrassing fan. It represents me. Not a place for casual observers.

For me, here is why I do this:

I am a very competitive person. I like action and I like to have something on the line. I have an odd desperate obsession with always wanting something specific to look forward to. "The weekend" isn't good enough for me. The Redskins game at noon as the focal point of the weekend is what I need. It then makes all events leading up to it more enjoyable. And most importantly, it makes all events after more enjoyable....when we win.

And that's what on the line for me. A piece of my happiness and a peace of mind is on the line for me. Every year when the schedule comes out, I can't help but look at December. I then picture how awesome it will be if those games matter. I start looking at our personal schedules and making sure there are no conflicts-- just in case that Philly game on the 22nd is a big one. Just like it always was when I was a kid.

And when we look like garbage in week four to fall to 1-3, it hurts because all those plans and hopes feel like they are being stripped away again. And then you feel like an idiot for allowing them to once again make you feel this way.

It becomes a part of you. Why do people say they don't wear gear after losses? Because they feel a certain sense of ownership in this. And the jeers and jabs are too annoying (or worse) to endure. Most die hard fans are a KNOWN as die hard fans. I'll catch up with someone on social media from 25 years ago and the first thing they will say is "Still rooting for the skins?" And then I'll have to put my tail between my legs and make some sort of self deprecating remark to try and diffuse it before I get the "what's wrong with them" question or God forbid, the name change question.

So when the game starts on Sunday, that's what's on the line for me. And it's a big deal. I am also a fan of the Cincinnati Reds and OKC Thunder (season ticket holder). Same story with those teams, but football is different due to the individual importance of each game and the fact that I am personally most closely associated with the Redskins-- even though my number one fan goal is for this current Thunder core to win a title-- but I digress.

So I feel the pain of my fellow fan, both metaphorically and literally.

Snyder gets the brunt of it. He's the top dog and he's been around the longest. So he gets hammered. Much of it is deserved. But for me, it's misplaced ultimately because I truly believe the guy wants what we want. I don't think he is in this just to make $ off of our stupidity and I don't think he's in it just be a glorified GM. I think he's desperate to win just like we are. So fan protests, refusing to buy jerseys or beer, etc doesn't do a damn thing. He's ALREADY trying. It's isn't like he sees 60000 empty seats vs the Chiefs and thinks "maybe we should try to win games now." He tries. He just hasn't proven to be very good at it. He did what we wanted... Gave someone else control... He gave it to Gibbs. He gave it to Shanny. He gave it to Bruce. And no matter what, HE always has to be the one making the call. If he fires Bruce, HE has to hire a replacement.

Do I sort if wish he'd sell the team? Yeah, fresh blood would be nice. But it's a pointless topic, so I don't fret it. I just hope that someday he gets it right. In the meantime I don't mind "supporting" him because I do think he's trying.

But supporting HIM has never been what it's been about for me. Which brings me to my point. I think. Maybe.

I do this for me. I do it because for whatever strange reason it has always made sense to me. I've been trudging to the game or to me TV set for thirty years now-- and over 2/3 of those years have produced some awful football and some awful feelings walking out of bars, stadiums, or just my living room.

But I will never stop. I won't even back off. As a matter of fact, the worse we get, the MORE effort I put into making an event out of it. The MORE I want to plan road trips. Because it is ultimately up to ME how much I get out of this. Not them.

We get 16 guaranteed games per year. That's it. I am bound and determined to make the most of them.

I went to Houston this year. I'll be in Arizona and Dallas later this year. Was in Denver last year. Night before that game went to the Rally across from Coors Field. Beautiful night, great atmosphere. Good college games on TV. Lots of food, drinks, and laughs. Woke up Sunday feeling good; went for a jog with the Rocky Mountains as a backdrop. Day was gorgeous. Great time pregame. And it was all made possible by my love for the Redskins. The feeling deep down that even though I am 90% sure we will lose, that maybe today is the day-- even if it only lasts for a day. Game starts and we find ourselves up 21-7. The "maybe this is really happening" feeling kicks in. Then, 4 seconds later it's 75-21 and the Broncos are taking a knee to end the game. I trudge out of stadium feeling deflated and frustrated and briefly get angry at myself for spending all this time and money and heartache on them. But I wouldn't even be there if it wasn't for them.

A lot of people have hobbies. Let's say you like to go hiking. It's a safe hobby--emotionally at least. It is unlikely you wake up with butterflies or can't sleep the night before. It is unlikely it can bring you to tears (good or bad). It is unlikely it makes or breaks your week. It just something you enjoy. But it's not enough for me. So I chose sports. I chose the Redskins.

So I make a concerted and conscious effort to not let the Redskins take the Redskins away from me. I still plan my weekends around it; get up early on gameday, have fun food, set up both TVs, and do what I do.

I'm not being a "sucker." That would assume its about them. But it's not.

Our friends Pez and Huly have this thing figured out. You make this or break this. Not them. And part of it is suffering through the losses and embarrassments. But they get back up each week and put together what might be the best and most spirited tailgate in the league. And on a much smaller scale I try to do the same thing.

I was in Tulsa the other night for the game (approx a 2 hour drive from my home in OKC). I was there for some work stuff, but made sure to make plans with a friend to watch the game. As always I was a little hesitant because I knew a loss would mean a horrible two hour drive home that would stretch after midnight with a full work day ahead. I could have just gone home early, watched from my house and hit the sack as soon as Kirk threw his 30th pick of the night. But I didn't. I met with my buddy at on old favorite spot of mine. Tried to make as much an event out of it as possible. And my my mind wandered to how great it will be if we win... Easy ride home, enjoy all the football the next TWO weekends because we play on MNF, etc... Got my hopes up about it. And then boom...45-14.

But there must be a reason I keep doing this. And I don't pretend to fight it.

My advice: Just give in. Accept that you are a hopeless fan and you can't stop caring no matter how hard you wish you could or how much of a jackass they make you feel like for caring in the first place. Make the most of whatever routine you have-- or even enhance it. And then try to laugh about it.

My same friend I watched the game with in Tulsa

the other night will just so happen to be here in OKC the night we play Seattle. We already have plans to go eat and watch the game. I'll wear a Redskins tee or jersey. We will probably lose. It might get ugly. If it isn't ugly, it will be heartbreaking I'm sure. But I'll wake up that morning feeling more energized and excited than most normal folks do on a Monday

Can't wait.

Pretty much everything you said is spot on how I feel about the Redskins too. I would imagine for the true diehards of the Redskins, or any other team for that matter, feels this way also. I'm still feeling down and out after Thursday night, however come Oct. 6th I will try to get as pumped as I can for the MNF game. I won't be as hyped as I hoped and I will feel less confident that we will even be able to compete with the Seahawks, but come game time I will proudly don my Redskins gear. HTTR!!!

I remember the three year stretch after Gibbs left from 1993-1995 after we plummeted from glory.  This was back when we still played at RFK which still had the mystique and getting a ticket to attend a game was still considered a big deal. But I didn't have season tickets and maybe went to a couple of games in '94, but the rest of the time didn't even feel compelled to watch the games on television. Then we got on our hot start in '96, the new stadium opened in '97 and made it a lot easier to get tickets, and I think having gone to the majority of the games at FedEx has sucked me in to the team for good. 

I can't imagine a scenario short of the team leaving the DMV that I wouldn't be a fan.  And I absolutely look forward to when the schedule comes out in April to see when we're going to play everyone.  However, I'm at the point where the suck has been so great that its really hard to get your expectations up for any given year.  Seems like one out of every three years is decent.  The playoff runs definitely get the juices flowing, and I remember being at the stadium for that season finale in 2012 against the Cowboys on pins and needles until Rob Jackson picked off that pass. But otherwise.....meh.  The loss to Seattle in the playoffs didn't even really sting. The league in general has also drained my enthusiasm.  Sorry, but I like the games decided by who plays the best, and not by ticky-tack calls.

I'll always feel the desire to watch the Skins to see how well they do, but they are going to have to string together a few winning seasons to get my expectations and excitement to where it was in years past.

Actually, the team we have fielded in the non-Gibbs years doesn't deserve the honor of that name.  So, I can live with the team being called something else.

As for Snyder, I have no doubt he wants to win.  Thing is, he has no clue how and his ego has gotten the best of him at times. The Washington Idiots are not structured to be a winning organization. This team hasn't employed people who really know how to build a football  team the right way. It all starts at the lines and goes from there. No, we go for the sexy positions or go after the sexy free agents. We didn't need Jackson. That could've been used to bolster the o-line or d-line. If Robert was the great QB everyone says he is; then he would've elevated what we had. We did see some of that in 2012.  I honestly don't know if I can enjoy watching Robert when he returns. It isn't because of his ability. I just don't think he can stay healthy and every play he makes; I'm going to be scared to death he gets hurt again.   If the time comes where the decision must be made to move on from Robert; what will Snyder's reaction be.

I've resigned myself that I will be a fan of team that will be angonizing losers mostly during Snyder's ownership. The occasional playoff birth here and there.  Heck,maybe even one superbowl win with a team that just gets hot and rolls all the way to a Lombardi. I have no faith Snyder will ever have an organizational setup that will lead us to being consistenant year in and year out winners.  Snyder hasn't shown that he values the basic building blocks of building a team.  He values the big sexy name more often than not.

Allen isn't really a personnell guy. So, he won executive of the year with the Raiders.You think he did anything without Al Davis approving it. He and John Gruden when paired together didn't do that great a job together in Tampa.  Jay- I have this uneasy feeling he may not be ready to be head coach; especially in a horrible organization like ours.

I will be watching my favorite TV shows when the Seattle game is on; though I will probably just listen to the game on my laptop just to see how we are doing. I don't think I can watch them right now. Listening is less painful.

I also don't have much faith for 2015 either.  My gut tells me we start fresh in 2016 and I will be there hoping Dannyboy got it right this time. I am convinced that if the Skins finish with 4 or fewer wins; that either Allen and/or Gruden won't make it.

I was willing to buy into Haslett excuse but that was a mistake.  This team can't even do a firing right.  When decide to fire the head coach; you don't keep most of the defensive staff that was 50% if not more, of why we were losing. That should be Dan's #1 must change.  Thing is, just like last time; there was no other candidate.  The Skins were locked on Jay.

What's even worse; we have seen teams that were once nothing but losers become good or good teams that sucked, finally turn it around.  The Redskins aren't one of them.

Things have gotten so bad after Cousins threw away our hopes and dreams that I'm starting to think this team will turn it around.  Last year you had some hold outs arguing that things weren't as bad as the media was making them out to be.  Everyone figured out that it was eventually.  This year I see chicken little threads that aren't sarcastic.  I see so many people declaring the season dead and gone and we aren't even out of September, yet no one is demanding they turn in their fan cards and become fans of the Ravens.  The homers are in hiding or in despair themselves.

What does this mean?  It means the team is going to do something to reel us all back in.  They'll beat the Seahawks or go on a three win run afterwards.  

When they've got us believing again, when we open up our hearts just enough to let a little hope sneak in, the trap door will open and we'll all go tumbling into the dark once more.  It's the belief that makes it hurt more and this team loves to hurt us. 

Couldn't agree more. I get upset just like the rest of us when we lose or do something stupid (like sign Haynesworth for example). But it will never stop me from watching and rooting for the team, and holding out hope that some day we'll turn it around and be relevent again. Even when I know we don't stand a chance, I still find myself donning my gear and turning the game on, and hoping we at least show something positive.

As for Snyder, I have no doubt he wants to win.  Thing is, he has no clue how and his ego has gotten the best of him at times. The Washington Idiots are not structured to be a winning organization.

Bingo, he's just a clueless fan who wants to win with a fantasy football team. Unfortunately since 1999 the only consistencies he brought to DC are team mediocrity and low hope to most of the fanbase. The guy has a true love for his ego but none for this franchise, if he had he would have sold the majority of his shares. 15 years later I still think we're going nowhere with him, I don't believe in him. I learned to live with it and I'm just getting pumped up when we beat our division rivals.

Now we're facing the Seaderalls (can't even remember last time we beat them) and the Cards, with all the injured players and the bad defense, we have more chances to be 1-5 rather than 3-3. If we could only beat those Seaderalls that would keep me happy for the rest of the season.

Interesting post Kleese.

My name is Otis, and I am a diehard.  No, I'm not trying to compete with anyone but just stating the plain truth: I am a diehard.  Everywhere I have lived, my neighbors find out real fast (during football season) that I am a Redsksins fan.  Anyone that has known me for a week or longer, knows I'm a diehard.  People, when describing me always use 'The Skins Fan' as part of the description.  No matter what state I've lived in, what time of year, or how old the person is that knows me, all know me to be a Redskins Fan.  That's who I am.

And as a Redskins Fan, I am an obstinate optimist.  On a visceral level, I only see Redskins Football kicking ASS.  I have been like this my whole life REGARDLESS of how competitive the team is.  My reality is the sun shining gloriously on our good fortune.  And this is the tone in which I discuss Redskins Football. 

Have I been laughed at?  Scorned, made fun of, harrassed, and jeered?  You better believe it!  And in return, I have always stood firm as a Skins supporter, backed down to NO ONE, and resolutely held my ground.  I am a Redskins fan.  You can be whatever you want.  But I am a Redskins Fan.  And a funny thing happens once my attitude is understood: people respect me for it.  They may still feel a certain way about the team, but they respect a guy that loves his team and makes no apology for it.  Apparently, it is an uncommon trait.

And then I began to read this forum.  Bitter disappointment doesn't even begin to qualify my low regard for far too much of the commentary here.  I was nonplussed....I suppose I live in a fantasy land, but I had never heard Redskins Fans disparage and pillory the team like this!  Year in, year out I would see this happen here.  Initially, I was shocked.  I talked to folks in the streets, but would never hear this level of unhappiness with the team.  Now, it occurs to me that a sizable number of people on the board enjoy crying over the team.  That's not how I choose to cheer the team, but every man is entitled to his opinion. 

I choose to cheer The Washington Redskins to Victory.  EVERY Sunday.  As long as I am in this life, that is how it will be.  I look forward to each and every ballgame every year.  Always.

We get 16 guaranteed games per year. That's it. I am bound and determined to make the most of them.

That's me, dead on the money (in fact, I'd been saying 'I got 16 Sundays a year' for years).  I don't understand why any individual that dislikes so much about the team, chooses to cheer for it. 

Anyhow, sorry for my rant.  But I wanted to put those thoughts on the record.  Maybe it's me.  Maybe I don't belong here.

Interesting post Kleese.

My name is Otis, and I am a diehard. No, I'm not trying to compete with anyone but just stating the plain truth: I am a diehard. Everywhere I have lived, my neighbors find out real fast (during football season) that I am a Redsksins fan. Anyone that has known me for a week or longer, knows I'm a diehard. People, when describing me always use 'The Skins Fan' as part of the description. No matter what state I've lived in, what time of year, or how old the person is that knows me, all know me to be a Redskins Fan. That's who I am.

And as a Redskins Fan, I am an obstinate optimist. On a visceral level, I only see Redskins Football kicking ASS. I have been like this my whole life REGARDLESS of how competitive the team is. My reality is the sun shining gloriously on our good fortune. And this is the tone in which I discuss Redskins Football.

Have I been laughed at? Scorned, made fun of, harrassed, and jeered? You better believe it! And in return, I have always stood firm as a Skins supporter, backed down to NO ONE, and resolutely held my ground. I am a Redskins fan. You can be whatever you want. But I am a Redskins Fan. And a funny thing happens once my attitude is understood: people respect me for it. They may still feel a certain way about the team, but they respect a guy that loves his team and makes no apology for it. Apparently, it is an uncommon trait.

And then I began to read this forum. Bitter disappointment doesn't even begin to qualify my low regard for far too much of the commentary here. I was nonplussed....I suppose I live in a fantasy land, but I had never heard Redskins Fans disparage and pillory the team like this! Year in, year out I would see this happen here. Initially, I was shocked. I talked to folks in the streets, but would never hear this level of unhappiness with the team. Now, it occurs to me that a sizable number of people on the board enjoy crying over the team. That's not how I choose to cheer the team, but every man is entitled to his opinion.

I choose to cheer The Washington Redskins to Victory. EVERY Sunday. As long as I am in this life, that is how it will be. I look forward to each and every ballgame every year. Always.

That's me, dead on the money (in fact, I'd been saying 'I got 16 Sundays a year' for years). I don't understand why any individual that dislikes so much about the team, chooses to cheer for it.

Anyhow, sorry for my rant. But I wanted to put those thoughts on the record. Maybe it's me. Maybe I don't belong here.

You are certainly more optimistic than I am. But I do think your general approach is the one I'm preaching here.

I'd like to make it clear that I absolutely get more excited for a game when we are 9-4 than when we are 4-9 (not that we are ever 9-4, but you know what I mean).

I had a friend that always thought the game before Thanksgiving was most important to him. Why? "Because the turkey tastes better when we win." I am totally and 100% on board with that and understand the sentiment perfectly. And if we are 2-13 going into the Dallas game to end the season I am not going to be "pumped" for it. But along the way I will look for any reasons to hope and any silver linings I can find.

If we are 2-7 at the bye, I'll hope we rally in the second half, maybe finish 4-3, best some good teams, and hope that momentum carries over into 2015.

Snyder gets the brunt of it. He's the top dog and he's been around the longest. So he gets hammered. Much of it is deserved. But for me, it's misplaced ultimately because I truly believe the guy wants what we want. I don't think he is in this just to make $ off of our stupidity and I don't think he's in it just be a glorified GM. I think he's desperate to win just like we are. So fan protests, refusing to buy jerseys or beer, etc doesn't do a damn thing. He's ALREADY trying. 

It's not a matter of "wanting the same thing we want". Of course he wants to win. To me, that doesn't exonerate him. It's the WAY he goes about trying to get to that goal that has always bothered me. Two kids could want the same toy. One could save his money or ask his parents nicely for it, while the other could throw a tantrum and act as if he DESERVES that toy simply BECAUSE he wants it. They both want the same thing, but there's much more to the story than "want."

He's definitely improved over the years, no doubt, and I credit him for that, but I still view him as the common denominator in this period of epic suck. I still feel like the tone he sets at the top of the organization is not one that makes people respect him or want to win for him. They want to win for themselves, or IN SPITE of him. People wanted to win FOR JKC, even though he had his own problems. Coaches actually loved that guy. I remember the footage of Norv in the locker room after the first win after Cooke passed, and he was crying, as were other players. Does anyone imagine that kind of emotion for Snyder? Not at this point. 

I've known people who've been on the "inside," and they tell me how awful the feeling is out there at times because of him. It's not a sense of "family" that he creates or a "we're all in this together" type of feeling. To me, that means something and that is PART of the issue. A big part. 

I really do share your feelings OP. But I'm now 47, been a fan for over 40 years and it's just getting really hard to stay fired up when you're constantly playing yourself out of the season so early on. Even the last three times we made the playoffs-- 2005, 2007 and 2012-- it took five and six week win streaks to close out the season to get into the tournament.

I stated in another thread, that last Sunday morning I was as pumped for a Skins game as I've been since the 2012 finale against Dallas and truly believed we were going to beat Philly. I then thought we'd beat the Giants on Thursday night and would be in control of the division by this Sunday. Even if we split those two games in four days, we'd still be 2-2 and I don't think anyone would be too down on that. And how enjoyable would that be to wake up this Sunday with the Skins off and in first place or at worst .500, sit and root against Philly and Dallas and have a nice relaxing football Sunday that mattered even without the Skins playing. Well, it took exactly four and a half days from last Sunday until Thursday night for that delusional thought to die and when I woke up this morning, I had no real interest in watching or caring about what happens in the N.F.L today.

Do the Redskins control my overall general mood? I don't know. But considering how I feel when they're good and how I feel when they're not, the answer would be yes...at least through the football season. There is no denying that when they are good, September through December is much more enjoyable than if they stink. I mean common, for us who lived through the golden years from 1981 through 1993, how many of you can honestly say that Thanksgiving and the holiday season weren't more enjoyable? Not only were we a perennial threat to win the division, we were a perennial threat to win the whole shootin' match. Commentators would say things like "The Washington Redskins are the best run organization in the N.F.L." and they were right. To have had a taste of those days and to now have your seasons essentially over by Halloween or in this years case the end of September, is borderline depressing.

I'll obviously never stop rooting for the Skins and I have a 15 year old son that loves them as well. Hell, my 12 year old daughter is a fan and I converted my wife from a Dolphins fan 15 years ago. The Redskins-- good or bad-- will always live prominently in this household, but damn how I long for those Sundays when Skins games REALLY mattered, because it really does add a little extra spice to my life.

I don't think we will win anymore games. Like I mentioned after the Eagles game that I feared it was our Super Bowl. We saw what happened in the Giants game. There won't be a difference in the Seahawks game. Like the other poster mentioned, I will be watching my other shows at that time and turning it over during commercial breaks. I hope they win, but it is too disappointing to believe anymore.

The fact that Snyder won't let real "football" minds run the organization is all I need to know about his "fandom". We have not had a true front office structure since he bought the team. Allen is just another yes man.

And let's face it, he wasn't that stellar in Tampa Bay either, although a lot better so far than here. I remember being excited when he appeared on the sidelines of Zorn's "Swinging Gate" waterloo game. Now, I just watched a team he helped assemble have perhaps an even worse performance to the same team after five years with Allen on board. So far, no good. Another guy with a name and no results. 

One thing to note: The next owner will change the name so as much as he is not a good owner, he is the last line of defense before the name is changed.

I could live with the name, Washington NuttyBuddies, if we could regain our pride and respect with a 10-6 season.

Not knowing exactly what those asterisks are hiding, I find this post to be a bit ... unsettling. :)

lol. A few too many beers and typing through squinted eyes, prevented me from proofreading how that post might appear. The mystery word was "****ing."  No need to fear.

edit: darn filters. Rhymes with "witching"

Do the Redskins control my overall general mood? I don't know. But considering how I feel when they're good and how I feel when they're not, the answer would be yes...at least through the football season. There is no denying that when they are good, September through December is much more enjoyable than if they stink.

I'm about your age and have been a fan about as long as you. While I agree that watching football is funner when the Skins are good, I'm well past the point of this team getting me too upset. Watching the games and reading the board provides entertainment......I don't look too much more into it than that. Maybe its because this team so rarely plays in any huge games.

Thanks Kleese. 

First of all, great post. You do an incredible job of painting a picture in here with your writing. 

Secondly, being a "lucky" fan (finally there's an advantage to closing in on 40!) who experienced the Gibbs years has given me a luxury that others might not have.

From the time I started watching (5 years old in 1982) through the tight playoff loss in San Francisco (15 years old in 1992) the Redskins solidified themselves in my world as a beautiful thing. The associations that have back to that time (even though it's now outnumbered by more than 2-to-1 in actual duration) are priceless. Experiencing perennial contenders during my formative years will probably have enough legs for me to always smile or get butterflies when I see or hear something Redskin-related. 

That doesn't mean the past two decades haven't frustrated me or worn me down. They have. But watching anyone wear the uniforms and represent the organization on Sunday afternoon is a personal way of transporting me back to being 10 and watching my team on the carpet in front of our family room TV. I'm suddenly in elementary or middle school again, feeling the crisp weather of a 1980s fall day, smelling the scents from the adjacent laundry room as my mom did the laundry for the week. It's nostalgic and takes me back to a time of great memories with my family, my childhood heroes, and just all around magic of being a kid during that time. 

So, each week I get fired up and excited to watch the Redskins. Occasionally they reciprocate and the current team provides me with a reason to be excited by hiring Gibbs back, winning their final X games to make the playoffs, or having everything click on a given Sunday to win easily. So, there are fun times with the current team but for me it's almost predominantly about linking back to my past and re-living that magical decade before life got in the way...when nothing was more important to a kid than the local, dynastic football team in burgundy and gold. I'm so lucky that the team's success aligned with that part of my life and I wouldn't trade that in for anything. 

Hail to the Redskins. 

And let's face it, he wasn't that stellar in Tampa Bay either, although a lot better so far than here. I remember being excited when he appeared on the sidelines of Zorn's "Swinging Gate" waterloo game. Now, I just watched a team he helped assemble have perhaps an even worse performance to the same team after five years with Allen on board. So far, no good. Another guy with a name and no results. 

The most glaring problem with Allen is he prefers to play it safe and do his job based on a comfort level. What do I mean by that? He chooses players and coaches that he has ties to from his past tenure instead of due diligence. I know that is a common practice, but he has taken it to another level. Like I said in another thread. He's been put on notice.

Snyder gets the brunt of it. He's the top dog and he's been around the longest. So he gets hammered. Much of it is deserved. But for me, it's misplaced ultimately because I truly believe the guy wants what we want. I don't think he is in this just to make $ off of our stupidity and I don't think he's in it just be a glorified GM. I think he's desperate to win just like we are. So fan protests, refusing to buy jerseys or beer, etc doesn't do a damn thing. He's ALREADY trying. It's isn't like he sees 60000 empty seats vs the Chiefs and thinks "maybe we should try to win games now." He tries. He just hasn't proven to be very good at it. He did what we wanted... Gave someone else control... He gave it to Gibbs. He gave it to Shanny. He gave it to Bruce. And no matter what, HE always has to be the one making the call. If he fires Bruce, HE has to hire a replacement.

Myopic, misinformed, and flat out wrong. The only reason Snyder still has defenders, which is what you are doing despite claiming not to

I could give you the answers but I feel like that would be cheap and you wouldn't learn anything. It's been well documented so I think it would be a good homework assignment for you. I find people learn a bit more when there is work involved.

I'll give you a hint. The bolded part is important

The fact that Snyder won't let real "football" minds run the organization is all I need to know about his "fandom". We have not had a true front office structure since he bought the team. Allen is just another yes man.

This. He may be a "fan" of the Redskins, but he's more of a fan of money. The formula for having success in the NFL is out there. But, this fool wants to do it his way. Won't work until you bring in football minds to run a football team.

I feel like this is a support group. Well at least some of you have seen the glory years and know what it's like to be one of the elite franchises. The best season I ever remember seeing was 99, and we all remember the gut punch the season ended in. I remember being devastated, but not just thinking, but knowing we'll be back. Then we went on to sign the 1994 dream team, and it's been nothing but suck since.

Every year my love for the team lessens. It just gets hard rooting for a crappy team every year, and being the butt of all the jokes at work and with my friends. Tired of getting whooped on primetime, drama in the locker room, and just always finding some new bizarre way to rip my heart out. I'll always root for them, but man I wish we could just get right one day.

Oh well at least I know a browns fan, so we can make fun of our joke franchises together.

Archived