Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To My Fellow Fans: Don't Let the Redskins Ruin the Redskins For You

kleese

There are some personnel on this team that deserve our utmost respect. But this current squad (coaching staff included) deserves nothing but scorn from the fans. They clearly don't care about us, aren't moved by our support, don't play for us, and they continue to disgrace the uniform, the memories and the things this team has accomplished since inception.

Jay Gruden was on the radio on Friday and and said he was disappointed in the crowd response. No **** asshole, you didn't have this team prepared to play, you just coasted through the week without a care in the world. It took Doc Walker and even B. Mitch to say the fans were in "it" as much as they could be, but the poor performance really sucked the life out of them.

Then Doc asked why the Skins don't conduct late afternoon or evening practices to condition the team for night games...Gruden sounded shocked and surprised at such a thought. Apparently Gibbs did that all the time.

This is like battered spouse syndrome. We get treated like absolute and utter garbage and with total disregard by this owner, front office, and team yet we keep coming back for more.

SHOW SOME ****ING PRIDE...if not for us, do it for Sammy Baugh, Bobby Mitchell, Sonny Jurgenson, Larry Brown, Riggo, Darrel Green, Art Monk, Joe Gibbs, George Allen, Bobby Beathard, Kenny Houston, Jerry Smith, Dexter Manley, the Hogs, Sean Taylor, etc.

I will NEVER stop supporting and loving the Redskins franchise, but this current abomination on the field that call themselves the Washington Redskins is a travesty.

There are some personnel on this team that deserve our utmost respect. But this current squad (coaching staff included) deserves nothing but scorn from the fans. They clearly don't care about us, aren't moved by our support, don't play for us, and they continue to disgrace the uniform, the memories and the things this team has accomplished since inception.

Jay Gruden was on the radio on Friday and and said he was disappointed in the crowd response. No **** asshole, you didn't have this team prepared to play, you just coasted through the week without a care in the world. It took Doc Walker and even B. Mitch to say the fans were in "it" as much as they could be, but the poor performance really sucked the life out of them.

Then Doc asked why the Skins don't conduct late afternoon or evening practices to condition the team for night games...Gruden sounded shocked and surprised at such a thought. Apparently Gibbs did that all the time.

This is like battered spouse syndrome. We get treated like absolute and utter garbage and with total disregard by this owner, front office, and team yet we keep coming back for more.

SHOW SOME ****ING PRIDE...if not for us, do it for Sammy Baugh, Bobby Mitchell, Sonny Jurgenson, Larry Brown, Riggo, Darrel Green, Art Monk, Joe Gibbs, George Allen, Bobby Beathard, Kenny Houston, Jerry Smith, Dexter Manley, the Hogs, Sean Taylor, etc.

I will NEVER stop supporting and loving the Redskins franchise, but this current abomination on the field that call themselves the Washington Redskins is a travesty.

Eh, I think that's an emotional response fans have, but not one based in reality.

Our 2006 defense got annihilated all year. That was with ST and Gregg Williams. Was it due to lack of pride?

I'll keep saying it... EJ Biggers might have the biggest heart in the world. He might care more than any player in the NFL. But it doesn't look like it because he sucks. It's as simple as that.

Eh, I think that's an emotional response fans have, but not one based in reality.

Our 2006 defense got annihilated all year. That was with ST and Gregg Williams. Was it due to lack of pride?

I'll keep saying it... EJ Biggers might have the biggest heart in the world. He might care more than any player in the NFL. But it doesn't look like it because he sucks. It's as simple as that.

"They came in better prepared. The coaches had them ready to play. We didn’t have our team ready to play. They outplayed us in every phase."

Lack of pride quote from jay Gruden IMO

"They came in better prepared. The coaches had them ready to play. We didn’t have our team ready to play. They outplayed us in every phase."

Lack of pride quote from jay Gruden IMO

Just acknowledging that they got their tails kicked. Joe Gibbs lost a Super Bowl to an inferior team 38-9. Did Gibbs lack pride or did he just get outcoached? Coughlin whooped Gruden the other night as did the assistants. Coach-speak is usually to harp on things like rather than to call players out and just say, "we totally suck."

You guys just don't understand what it's like to be a younger fan here.

When you guys talk of a team in a proud, prideful way, I just don't get Cuz to me the Redskins are no better than the Jags, Raiders, or Browns. To me, they are just a sorry, sad franchise that ****s controversy and embarrassment. That's the Skins to me.

I can't keep letting this **** ruin my week. I honestly don't want to be a diehard anymore. It sucks lol

Between the Skins and my new obsession/curse of following Arsenal over in England, sports have been just so disappointing recently

Every year you come in excited. I buy Madden, Fifa, 2K, and NHL every season and it gets me hype for the new year and new guys...then I always end up hating the games because the teams disappoint

I don't even know where I'm going with this lol

*Whispers I did grow up through the 'Skins glory years and have seen your 'other' team lift a League title and League Cup in the flesh.

I know, I hate me too. :lol:.

Hail.

Just acknowledging that they got their tails kicked. Joe Gibbs lost a Super Bowl to an inferior team 38-9. Did Gibbs lack pride or did he just get outcoached? Coughlin whooped Gruden the other night as did the assistants. Coach-speak is usually to harp on things like rather than to call players out and just say, "we totally suck."

Coaches speak is different from loser speak.

Jay Gruden used loser speak the other night.

lol, I think it's funny (not being condescending here at all) how fast Gruden's "refreshing honesty" lasted. Now we don't want him to tell the truth about getting embarrassed.

Where's Mike Shanahan's deflecting when you need it, amirite? :P

Joking aside, this is all about winning guys. We don't win, nothing anyone says or does will be endearing. We win, suddenly everyone is brilliant.

I just want to see a competent, competitive team that doesn't make ridiculous mistakes, ever. When they do, it should be shocking, not the norm. Right now, it's still the norm. Gruden, like every other coach that's been here, has claimed they're going to fix it since the start of the year. Actually, it's been something throughout preseason even. He has not done that, yet. That's where I'm judging him.

I don't care about the excuses given about personnel and talent. If you can't get your guys to play professional, mistake-free football with a total understanding of situations within the game... then you're just not a good enough Head Coach. That has nothing to do with talent. He's done well calling plays for the most part, but he's a Head Coach. We might as well have kept Mike if that's the case. 

That has got to get fixed NOW. Enough. You can't coach your team to play basic, sound football then you can't coach. If they can't play well without committing penalties or turning the ball over, then bench them no matter who they are. 

Great post as usual Kleese.  

For me, I have to be honest....I am totally and completely emotionally taxed out when it comes to the Redskins.  Thursday really took it out of me...in a way it hasn't for quite a while. I'm still here, and I'm still a fan, but for my own mental health I have to step back from this thing. Their success or failure has become way too personal for me.  

We can't blame Jay Gruden for what has happened before him....but I just cannot fathom how we can continue to suffer blow out after blow out after blow out after blow out on Nationally televised games.  Just mind-boggling how this team NEVER shows up to play on a prime time game.  I absolutely DREAD prime time games with this team.  Thursday, Sunday, Monday, doesn't matter...we always get blown out in incredible fashion.  

Didn't mean to pain you as fair weather. Apologies if that is how it came off.

You commented that back when they were good you allowed them to dictate your life to the set detriment of other areas--- or at least that's how I took your comment. I was saying that if it is a detriment to your life, then a change should probably occur whether they are winning or losing.

Sorry for the angry response..The Redskins were part of the best period of my life...we went to Carlisle and partied with em at the Ginger Bread Man...we'd organize Harley rides to the College Campus and rent rooms there during training camp (Hogs for Hogs..I wonder if they still do that) and we'd drink and talk with players after practice..got some great autographs from the REAL HOGS...went to Monte Coleman's Sporting good store and talked chit and bought stuff...Gibbs always preached Redskins Pride and EVERYONE in DC from 1982 to 1995 was on cloud 9...we all bought into the franchise...lived for Sundays...I can't explain what it feels like going from THAT to "THIS"...incomprehensible...and losing isn't the issue..it's how the organization deteriorated...signing Bruce Smith, Deon, Haynesworthless..not BUILDING the REDSKINS...Shoot we'd win with the likes of Neil Olkewicz at MLB undersizied and slow and a SMALL CENTER Jeff Bostic blocking Randy Friggin White...This TEAM doesn't hold a candle to the REAL REDSKINS

I watch the Redskins and have for the last roughly 20 years because they represent my home region and because I enjoy football.  They are Washington's team.  Which is why I'll never get the "if they change the name I quit" crowd.  I thought you rooted for the team because of the city not the nickname.  I mean would I prefer to keep Redskins, yes but the whole "Redskins represents a winning tradition blah blah"...the 80s are over.  The early 90s have passed.  The name represents losing and incompetence and mismanagement and embarrassment.  Too many older people need to stop living in the past.  This franchise is pitiful.

Now, because I care more about the "Washington" than the "Redskins", I am able to ignore the losing tradition because we happen to have three other teams representing my home region also.  One of which has a chance to win a championship in less than a month.  We just had a no-hitter for a team that by the way, actually plays in D.C.  Won't be watching the Seahawks game (blowout), that's Game 3 of the NLDS.

I want more than anything for the team to be good.  I think a good way to break free of the depression is to realize the team and franchise don't owe you anything.  They don't owe you wins or memories or trophies or awards.  People think because we've sucked for 20 years that we deserve to be good.  So you feel like you're being cheated.  But the fact is, it's not the case.

I watch the Redskins and have for the last roughly 20 years because they represent my home region and because I enjoy football. They are Washington's team. Which is why I'll never get the "if they change the name I quit" crowd. I thought you rooted for the team because of the city not the nickname. I mean would I prefer to keep Redskins, yes but the whole "Redskins represents a winning tradition blah blah"...the 80s are over. The early 90s have passed. The name represents losing and incompetence and mismanagement and embarrassment. Too many older people need to stop living in the past. This franchise is pitiful.

Now, because I care more about the "Washington" than the "Redskins", I am able to ignore the losing tradition because we happen to have three other teams representing my home region also. One of which has a chance to win a championship in less than a month. We just had a no-hitter for a team that by the way, actually plays in D.C. Won't be watching the Seahawks game (blowout), that's Game 3 of the NLDS.

I want more than anything for the team to be good. I think a good way to break free of the depression is to realize the team and franchise don't owe you anything. They don't owe you wins or memories or trophies or awards. People think because we've sucked for 20 years that we deserve to be good. So you feel like you're being cheated. But the fact is, it's not the case.

Very well put. The schedule comes out... From there, the only thing they "owe" me is to show up and play the games. From there, it's up to me what to make of it and what to do with it. If I feel I'm being taken to the cleaners or if I'm not enjoying my experience at all, then I am free to walk away at any time. I haven't walked yet, so obviously I never will. I try to enjoy it as much as I can and someday it may all feel worth it.

I'll catch up with someone on social media from 25 years ago and the first thing they will say is "Still rooting for the skins?" And then I'll have to put my tail between my legs and make some sort of self deprecating remark to try and diffuse it before I get the "what's wrong with them" question or God forbid, the name change question.

Yeah I hate that! When someone asks if I'm a Redskins fan I end up saying something like "yeah unfortunately". I want so bad to be proud, but I really am ashamed sometimes. 

Sorry for the angry response..The Redskins were part of the best period of my life...we went to Carlisle and partied with em at the Ginger Bread Man...we'd organize Harley rides to the College Campus and rent rooms there during training camp (Hogs for Hogs..I wonder if they still do that) and we'd drink and talk with players after practice..got some great autographs from the REAL HOGS...went to Monte Coleman's Sporting good store and talked chit and bought stuff...Gibbs always preached Redskins Pride and EVERYONE in DC from 1982 to 1995 was on cloud 9...we all bought into the franchise...lived for Sundays...I can't explain what it feels like going from THAT to "THIS"...incomprehensible...and losing isn't the issue..it's how the organization deteriorated...signing Bruce Smith, Deon, Haynesworthless..not BUILDING the REDSKINS...Shoot we'd win with the likes of Neil Olkewicz at MLB undersizied and slow and a SMALL CENTER Jeff Bostic blocking Randy Friggin White...This TEAM doesn't hold a candle to the REAL REDSKINS

Wish I could have experienced the winning. You are fortunate.

This is the perfect setup for an upset:  

Cousins likely won't have a 4 pick game back to back like that, and we can expect to focus on running to protect him instead of seeing what he can do

Russel Wilson is not Eli Manning

It's at home, not Seattle

Absolutely no one expects us to win

Griffin reportedly is trying to be back before the bye-week.  Ain't over until the fat lady sings...

Hail

my point was that nobody knows for sure 4 weeks into a season how the season will end. but screw it, if people dont want to agree to that logic, fine. im done trying to argue with people here. and its not an "act". its just me trying to let people know not to give up 4 weeks into a season. have fun abandoning ship, people...i'll be here when we win a superbowl. good riddance.

Just let everyone vent that's why we joined this board.

Sorry for the angry response..The Redskins were part of the best period of my life...we went to Carlisle and partied with em at the Ginger Bread Man...we'd organize Harley rides to the College Campus and rent rooms there during training camp (Hogs for Hogs..I wonder if they still do that) and we'd drink and talk with players after practice..got some great autographs from the REAL HOGS...went to Monte Coleman's Sporting good store and talked chit and bought stuff...Gibbs always preached Redskins Pride and EVERYONE in DC from 1982 to 1995 was on cloud 9...we all bought into the franchise...lived for Sundays...I can't explain what it feels like going from THAT to "THIS"...incomprehensible...and losing isn't the issue..it's how the organization deteriorated...signing Bruce Smith, Deon, Haynesworthless..not BUILDING the REDSKINS...Shoot we'd win with the likes of Neil Olkewicz at MLB undersizied and slow and a SMALL CENTER Jeff Bostic blocking Randy Friggin White...This TEAM doesn't hold a candle to the REAL REDSKINS

That NFL is gone forever. Even if we went 16-0 you wouldn't be hanging with Kerrigan and DHall at the bars at training camp :)

The NFL you reference was more raw; the early 80's was the first real wave of players that didn't have second jobs. The salaries were growing rapidly, but still not to a point where the average Joe couldn't relate. And if that was a particularly fun and memorable time of your life then those memories are unlikely to be matched.

But ask a Seahawks fan what they think about the early 80's. I am quite sure they are having more fun now.

For a lot of us that got to experience the good years, there is a dual mix going on. It's the remembrance of the football itself, but also the remembrance of childhood/youth. That's powerful stuff to compete with.

More power to ya bro.

I remember the first time I had tickets for a mnf game - vs eagles in 1991. Couldn't have been more excited.

The thought of buying tickets for the Seattle game - at the $30 that will surely get anybody willing into the place - is simply depressing. I can't imagine how awful it will be to trudge out there, watch the skins get mauled beyond reason, and then schlep back home at 11:30 pm.

But if you can still get up for it - hey there's gotta be some die-hard die-hards. Bless ya!

More power to ya bro.

I remember the first time I had tickets for a mnf game - vs eagles in 1991. Couldn't have been more excited.

The thought of buying tickets for the Seattle game - at the $30 that will surely get anybody willing into the place - is simply depressing. I can't imagine how awful it will be to trudge out there, watch the skins get mauled beyond reason, and then schlep back home at 11:30 pm.

But if you can still get up for it - hey there's gotta be some die-hard die-hards. Bless ya!

You were excited to see the best team in franchise history play on MNF. You aren't overly excited to see a bad team play on MNF. Seems logical. :)

I was lucky to become a fan during the tail end of Gibbs I.  I wasn't really into sports and the only thing I did root for growing up as a teenager in the 80's in West Virginia was WVU football.  I remember the Skins win over Miami in Superbowl 17 as my first Superbowl. I remember we were rooting for D.C. and my  dad switched the channel after Miami got a lead. I went into the bedroom and watched the Redskins come back and win.   Only casually followed sports then. Don't think I watched a Superbowl again until either the 49ers-Dolphins superbowl or definitely the Bear-Pats superbowl. Still have my Superbowl Shuffle 45 single.  Since I wasn't aligned with anyone then, my mom bought me a Cowboys bookbag one year and the Steelers the next. I remember there was something about the Boys bag I didn't like.   I spent my freshman year in college at George Mason in 86-87. Think my roommate was a Boys fan. GM didn't work out for me;so I ended up going to an in state college at Marshall.  Watched Superbowl 22 and was enjoying the second quarter.  Everyone around me didn't enjoy the blowout but I did.  It was after that Superbowl,I realized I was Skins fan and have been following them ever since. I even liked sports; well watching them. So becoming a die hard a Skins fan; also made me more of a fan of sports in general. I lived in the D.C.area again from fall 1990 to summer 1992. Was so lucky to experience winning a superbowl in the area where the team was based.  I remember walking down to the Superbowl Merchandise store they setup the after we beat the Lions.  Didn't have much money then but I did get some souvineers.  That was a great time and was looking forward to future.

Alas, I was stunned during the blizzard of 1993 when I read that Gibbs retired.  Was glad the following year when Cooke said he would fix this after Petitbone's failed year.  I should've known then, it was the beginning of long term misery when the Skins hired a Cowboy- Norv Turner.

I remember the old AOL sports boards and the TSN boards;which had many of early posters. I was excited when they said they were creating a Website/Message Board just for the Skins.  I was literally one of the first signees in 2000. It was 2000 right?  I picked Rdskns2000 as my name because after the 90's, which had 6 years of wilderness; I thought the 00's would be our decade.  14 years later; I am worn out.  I will always be a fan but I now realize as I started in my earlier post; this team will never be a constistant winner.

For those homers who remain optimistic year in and year out until the math says you're out; good for you. The others, we are fans who are just worn out by over 22 years of mediocrity to down right putrid.  Even during RGIII's run in 2012; it took me  a while to believe. That's what it has done to many of us.  I think the orginal creator of the board isn't that much of a fan anymore; years of Snyder have worn him out.  For those who maybe critical but still bother to post on this board shows that we are still fans.  Just critical.

I wonder what Zoony was referring to?  Hmm.  Just confirming many's suspicion that despite the illusions of giving up control; Snyder was still there behind the scenes manipulating things or applying pressure to get things down.  I have no doubt that Snyder had some influence over the decisions made during Gibbs 2 run.  I am waiting for the tell all book from Shanny were he confesses that he was pressured to get Mcnabb and he was pressured to give up whatever it took;to get the second pick in 2012.

Oh well.  That's the sad life of a Redskins fan.  I think someone posted once the record of all the teams records from 1999.  It might have been me. It  was an eye opener.

I've just lost hope that this downtrodden team will ever amount to much under the Snyder. Only joy is knowing Jerry Jones will keep the Boys from winning much; as long as he runs the team.

For perspective, I was 12 when the 'Skins won their last superbowl.  I remember the excitement watching it with my family, my Dad telling me stories of when we still lived in Maryland, his trips to RFK stadium etc etc.......I remember during the playoffs I was selling beef jerky to raise money for the school trip and I would get updates on the games when folks would answer their doors.

The most painful thing about being a fan of our franchise is that we have been an exception to the rule in modern day NFL.  With the exception of 2012, we have been bottom feeders year in and year in a league that is built on teams going from worst to first, or at least worst to respectable.  About the only consistent thing about our franchise is the losing, and it sucks. 

Being unpredictable from season to season has it's cons as well, but at least you get the good mixed in with the bad.

We don't even get to experience the "pretender" kind of seasons.

The NFC East is a division that has been up for grabs every season for the last decade.  Even when the Giants won their superbowls, they were barely winning the division.  It has always felt like a 3 team race.  No matter who was winning the division, we were the cellar dwellers.  We aren't even beating the law of averages that would suggest we should be randomly winning the division even if by fluke, every so often in a division where 9-7 or 10-6 will usually get it done.

It wears on you, and it doesn't make you less of a fan when the mental exhaustion of making excuses year after year, or looking ahead to next season as the one that will "change everything" fails to produce any different results.

The only thing that is really getting me through it is just realization, the "we are what we are" confession.  I no longer expect things to be different.  I have been through this script so many times since the mid 90's that until I see it with my eyes happening before me, I will be resigned to rooting for a mediocre team.

The most painful thing about being a fan of our franchise is that we have been an exception to the rule in modern day NFL. With the exception of 2012, we have been bottom feeders year in and year in a league that is built on teams going from worst to first, or at least worst to respectable. About the only consistent thing about our franchise is the losing, and it sucks.

Being unpredictable from season to season has it's cons as well, but at least you get the good mixed in with the bad.

We don't even get to experience the "pretender" kind of seasons.

The NFC East is a division that has been up for grabs every season for the last decade. Even when the Giants won their superbowls, they were barely winning the division. It has always felt like a 3 team race. No matter who was winning the division, we were the cellar dwellers. We aren't even beating the law of averages that would suggest we should be randomly winning the division even if by fluke, every so often in a division where 9-7 or 10-6 will usually get it done.

It wears on you, and it doesn't make you less of a fan when the mental exhaustion of making excuses year after year, or looking ahead to next season as the one that will "change everything" fails to produce any different results.

The only thing that is really getting me through it is just realization, the "we are what we are" confession. I no longer expect things to be different. I have been through this script so many times since the mid 90's that until I see it with my eyes happening before me, I will be resigned to rooting for a mediocre team.

I'm ok with the resignation. That's where I am.

I am not a player, coach, or member of the FO. I can't do anything to change anything. I'm just a fan. I just show up week after week, year after year and get as much out of this "relationship" that I can. I often manufacture other elements surrounding the game in an effort to enhance the experience. Usually it ends poorly and I feel frustrated or sad. Every now and then I'm happy with an outcome and it give me a boost that week. I have accepted this fate and have decided I'd rather do it this way than not do it at all.

Archived