Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Big Reason We're 1-3? Alfred Morris Isn't Getting The Ball

Diehard Otis

For instance, here are AlMo's number of carries, yards, touchdowns, and his averages in each game to date.

Week 1

14 attempts, 91 yards, 0 Touchdowns     (6.5yd avg)

Week 2

22 attempts, 85 yards, 2 Touchdowns     (3.86yd avg)

Week 3

23 attempts, 77 yards, 0 Touchdowns     (3.35yd avg)

Week 4

12 attempts, 63 yards, 1 Touchdown     (5.25yd avg)

Notice a trend?

I want to start off by saying that I love what Almo brings and agree that he should be getting 20+ carries a game. I also noticed that he was finally used in the passing game against the giants, something that I've wanted to see for a while.

But, just to play devil's advocate....

One trend I do see is; if he gets 14 or less carries a game then he has a 5.88yd avg, but when he gets 22 or more carries then this drops down to only a 3.61yd avg. :huh:

It's only four games so not really a trend. But maybe our running/blocking isn't as good later on in the game (O-Line getting tired?) or maybe opposing teams are just sussing out what we're doing (repetitive play-calling?).

Never bought into this running the ball ____ this amount of times wins you games. It is misleading. If Almo had more carries, we would remain 1-3. The running game hasn't been impressive like years before. It is actually ending our drives. O-line is not giving Almo anything to work with.

Well, I'd say the suck is a total team effort.   True we have a great running back.  I still say the OL is an issue.  Special teams is a killer, the secondary is atrocious.  We could go on and on, but whats the point.   There's next year  There was a phrase suck for luck, what will be our phrase for next year's draft.  Oh wait, do we even get a pick next year  :)

I do need to make one correction, the only thing I've seen that's been there consistently is receiving core.  Hat's off to those guys.   

So when its constantly 3rd and 6+ we should "keep pounding" the ball?   And then when we are down 14+ we should keep pounding the ball?  I agree that our record reflects the fact that Morris hasn't been involved enough, but I think that is because the situations have dictated a need to throw more than we'd ideally like. 

So when its constantly 3rd and 6+ we should "keep pounding" the ball?   And then when we are down 14+ we should keep pounding the ball?  I agree that our record reflects the fact that Morris hasn't been involved enough, but I think that is because the situations have dictated a need to throw more than we'd ideally like. 

Agreed. However, when it's 3rd and 2, we often throw. This is where we should pound it. Rushing yards tend to rack up when leading in the 4th. We've been coming from behind and don't have the luxury. Plus, our line can't do crap. Yes, for the most part the situations have dictated the need to throw.

• 3 weeks later...

No, the reason that the 'Skins are losing has nothing to do with Morris not getting the ball.

OMG, goodness gracious! you got a lot of hyperbole going on there bro, lol

From my vantage point OP is right. Alfred not getting the ball is a big reason for the record.

He didn't say it was "the reason" singular but the inefficiency of the offense is a major reason for the failures on offense.

And a major reason for the inefficiency is a reliance on the pass over the run.

Jay can get cute with his run/pass balance but when its not working then you gotta try something else.

The strength of this team has been the running game and we have the same pieces in place OL, RBs scheme.

If we're going down I would prefer to go down playing to the strength not the weakness.

A lot of people pay it lip service, but the ability to run the ball changes everything.

And the ability to run the ball is a mindset.

Jay hasn't shown that mindset thus far but the season isn't over yet.

I have to agree with the OP. When you have a thoroughbred like Morris, you have to run him more than 15 times a game. It would be great to keep track of this during the season. Every single one of our losses, Morris is not getting the ball. And its not like we are getting blown out in the score either. Why do we keep giving up on the run?

I agree the core problem with the Skins is their inability to run the ball.  The problem, though, is not the lack of running attempts IMHO.  The problem is that defenses have adjusted to the zone-blocking scheme.  It's not working well anymore in Atlanta or Houston either.  The ZBS was already pretty ineffective against the 3-4 defense.  Now 4-3 teams have adjusted by lining up their end wider and jumping outside the tackles.  So with the ZBS not working, we have only ONE lineman capable of actually moving his man (Trent) to create holes.  Ugh.  If we fix the OL, which may take years, it will open up the passing game, allow us to extend drives, rest our defense, etc.  

It was hard sledding against Arizona and Seattle, 3.2 ypc and 2.2 ypc respectively. 

Another huge problem is not converting 3rd downs. Can't convert 3rd and long. The fear of ending up in that position is probably why we aren't running the ball more. 

I agree the core problem with the Skins is their inability to run the ball.  The problem, though, is not the lack of running attempts IMHO.  The problem is that defenses have adjusted to the zone-blocking scheme.  It's not working well anymore in Atlanta or Houston either.  The ZBS was already pretty ineffective against the 3-4 defense.  Now 4-3 teams have adjusted by lining up their end wider and jumping outside the tackles.  So with the ZBS not working, we have only ONE lineman capable of actually moving his man (Trent) to create holes.  Ugh.  If we fix the OL, which may take years, it will open up the passing game, allow us to extend drives, rest our defense, etc.  

I don't know about that, Houston's 4th in the league in rushing, with Arian Foster 3rd in the league in rushing.  And Atlanta hasn't had a running game of consequence since Michael Turner was there 3 years ago, I wouldn't blame that on the ZBS.  They're relying on Stephen Jackson, who's pretty much finished as a RB.

Play calling is DEFINITELY part of the reason for our woes. I say part, because we seem to be multi-faceted at suck right now. Injuries are piling up like crazy, and it's not like we have world-class starters at every position any way. But, our injuries and deficiencies are made so much more obvious by the play calling. I've read quite a few posts were the posters are blaming the defense. I am no Haslet fan, but any defense is going to struggle when the offense can't stay on the field and keeps giving the other team short fields to work with because of turnovers and failure after failure to pick up yards.  We do need to run the ball to keep defenses more honest and to give our defense some time to catch their breathes.  Our line stinks, but we cannot just abandon the run as easily as we have.

The ZBS still works.  4 of the top 10 rushing offenses run a zone blocking scheme.  

Well whitejimmy, I disagree to an extent.  What's troubling is that Arizona has provided all of our opponents with the bluprint on how to symie our Offense:

Load the box to stop The Run.  After a few half-hearted attempts, The Playcallers will abandon it & keep Passing.  At all costs stop The Run early & you wil stop The Washington Redskins, because they won't show the patience to stick with it until it pays dividends.  Once they start throwing, the Turnovers that ensue will put the ballgame outta reach.

And for The Record, here is AlMo's stat line:

Week 6

13 attempts, 41 yards, 0 Touchdowns     (3.15yd avg)

Let's remember, those totals were in a 3-Point contest ON THE ROAD until the final 30 Seconds (when the Pick-6 occured).  There was such a lackluster commitment to The Run that we played right into thier hands.  13 Rushes is ridiculous.

You know what's worse? This was his stat line at the half: 10 for 31 for 3.1

3 carries in the second half

Now THAT is on the Coach.  But since all of the networks & the overwhelming majority of analysts (since they are former Offensive Players) preach throwing 50 times a game, everyone buys it.  Furthermore, nowadays the casual fan believes that a Commitment to the Run is folly.

FOR THE RECORD: A Strong Rushing Attack coupled with a timely Play-Action Passing Attack Won 50 years ago, it Wins now, & it will Win 50 years into the future.  Sound principles stand the test of time.

I honestly don't think it's as simple as just giving him the ball the more the games roll.

If anything, you could make the argument Helu deserves more touches based on his recent productivity. Alfred has gone backward in that regard for whatever reason. And I'm honestly starting to think that the more we go away from the RO aspect of our game, the less effective he becomes. The lanes clog up and his vision just goes and he runs down blind ally's.

There's a lot wrong here. Not least the blocking up front. But it's not as simple as just increasing Alf's touches.

I did transcribe to that but not the more I watch him in detail of late.

Hail.

FOR THE RECORD: A Strong Rushing Attack coupled with a timely Play-Action Passing Attack Won 50 years ago, it Wins now, & it will Win 50 years into the future.  Sound principles stand the test of time.

And that is also what our current QB is most effective at. So we are crippling our passing and our rushing game at the same time :-(

Helu works in spots when the opposing team isn't thinking run but he's terrible at running through contact. He needs a lot of space to be effective and really he's a more of a receiving threat than an every down back.

Alfred, like any running back, needs a commitment to the running game to be effective. You can't just run on first down and abandon the run if it doesn't get you 5 yards every series. The running game is about beating up the defense and wearing them down. You don't get 4 yards every attempt, if you did you'd never stop. You average it when you stick to it and get a few big runs.

It would help if the line didn't suck and actually got some push. How does our OLine compare to the cowboys in terms of size and weight?

And that is also what our current QB is most effective at. So we are crippling our passing and our rushing game at the same time :-(

YES, we are.  That has been a season long frustration for me.

I honestly don't think it's as simple as just giving him the ball the more the games roll.

If anything, you could make the argument Helu deserves more touches based on his recent productivity. Alfred has gone backward in that regard for whatever reason. And I'm honestly starting to think that the more we go away from the RO aspect of our game, the less effective he becomes. The lanes clog up and his vision just goes and he runs down blind ally's.

There's a lot wrong here. Not least the blocking up front. But it's not as simple as just increasing Alf's touches.

I did transcribe to that but not the more I watch him in detail of late.

Hail.

Gibbs Hog Heaven, I disagree.

In my view, AlMo's confidence has been shaken.  At this point of the campaign, Morris knows if he doesn't get a 1st down on the carries he does get, Gruden's just going to go away from him.  As I type this, Destino just hit the nail on the head.  The point is that the Head Coach is not allowing Alfred to develop a rhythm.  Coach definitely has to answer for that.

Helu works in spots when the opposing team isn't thinking run but he's terrible at running through contact. He needs a lot of space to be effective and really he's a more of a receiving threat than an every down back.

Alfred, like any running back, needs a commitment to the running game to be effective. You can't just run on first down and abandon the run if it doesn't get you 5 yards every series. The running game is about beating up the defense and wearing them down. You don't get 4 yards every attempt, if you did you'd never stop. You average it when you stick to it and get a few big runs.

It would help if the line didn't suck and actually got some push. How does our OLine compare to the cowboys in terms of size and weight?

Absolutely.

OMG, goodness gracious! you got a lot of hyperbole going on there bro, lol

From my vantage point OP is right. Alfred not getting the ball is a big reason for the record.

He didn't say it was "the reason" singular but the inefficiency of the offense is a major reason for the failures on offense.

And a major reason for the inefficiency is a reliance on the pass over the run.

Jay can get cute with his run/pass balance but when its not working then you gotta try something else.

The strength of this team has been the running game and we have the same pieces in place OL, RBs scheme.

If we're going down I would prefer to go down playing to the strength not the weakness.

A lot of people pay it lip service, but the ability to run the ball changes everything.

And the ability to run the ball is a mindset.

Jay hasn't shown that mindset thus far but the season isn't over yet.

I would like to politely disagree.  The ability to run the ball is not a mindset.  It's about execution.

And as Russ Grim put it in his HOF induction speach, it is about the ability of the OL to move a man from "here to there against his will."

And we do not have linemen who are able to do that.

The reason that the running game worked so well in 2012 is because the defensive players had to wait a beat to figure out whether they should be pursuing the RB or the QB, and just that half a beat gave the OL the advantage.  It worked to some extent in 2013, but not as consistently.  

In 2013, the two guys who knew how to scheme the run game and call the run game the best are both gone.  The OL is the same, the RB is the same.  

They are not running the scheme well, the OL is not blocking it well, the TE blocking, especially Niles Paul, has been very bad, because he's getting pushed around like (I just heard this on the radio) a shopping cart on black Friday.  

I'm done with waiting for the running game to come around.  To my eyes, they don't have the players up front who are good enough to run it without the threat of Griffin running the ball.  There are too many plays that are negative or 0-2 yards.  They tried to run on first down several times yesterday, and I believe that only twice did they get more than 2 yards.

You can't keep trying the same thing over and over.

My solution: If it's not working, try something different.  You invested so heavily in DJax, Garcon and Roberts, and you have 2 good pass catching TEs in Reed and Paul(Who'd a thunk?), have a good, quick back in Helu that has proven he's able to take a screen or swing pass a long way.

Scrap the attempt to run traditionally. At least early.  It's not working.  Just start flinging it.  Spread them out, use route combinations to make things easier for the QB, don't try and use play-action all the time, just let him set and throw the damn ball.  

I just think that if one of the top passing QBs came here, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton or Brady, they'd run an up-temp, aggressive, pass-happy offense, and have a ton of success.  We have legitimate weapons on the outside and inside.  Use them.  Don't keep trying to establish the run when it isn't working.

You start passing first, and then when folks are so damn concerned because you're gashing them, you can start running a bit to keep them honest.  And if you throw an INT or two because you're throwing the ball a ton, who cares?  You should be able to overcome the mistakes.

But this team, unlike the previous teams, is just not built to run first. It's built to pass first.

And a word on the OL in pass protection: They've amazingly looked a little better in pass protection in recent weeks than run blocking.  I'm not saying that the QB should stand there and pat the ball 15 times, but there is enough of a pocket to get the ball out to one of the playmakers.  

I'm sure I'm going to get criticized for this, but it's honestly what I see. 

EDIT: I would like to point out that I was raised during the Gibbs era, and was originally taught "The way to win the game is to run the ball and stop the run." And I preached that straight through Norv, Marty, why I hated Spurrier from the get-go, back to Gibbs II, and on into Zorn and Shanahan.

My current point of view flies completely contrary to the way I LIKE to see my football team run.  But I also like to be somewhat pragmatic.  And just because my favorite player on the team is Morris, and I would prefer to run the ball than pass the ball in theory, I'm more than willing to see a change just to see what happens.  Because what we are currently doing is not working.  And I haven't seen any indication that it's going to start working soon. 

VOR-

Your rationale above is probably the same rationale that i imagine Kyle and Jay Gruden have.

The running game takes patience.

Your not always gonna get 4+ yards a pop. 

But you know what? A gain is a gain.

And the running game is a mindset.

ZBS is a mindset and when a team commits to it they can have success.

Look at the Ravens their OL has injuries this year just like they did last year (actually may have more this year) but this year with Kubiak they are running the ball with success using their 2nd-3rd and 4th RBs because they are committed to ZBS they have accepted that mindset.

What is Kirk's comp%? You know what those 1st down incompletions result in? NO GAIN. ZERO YARDS. 2nd and 10.

There is higher % chance for a gain by running the ball on 1st down then passing the ball. That's how you build efficiency, that's how you have time of possension and allow your defense to rest.

Your gripes about the running the ball are ill conceived because by and large your complaining about POSITIVE GAINS.

Our OL isn't great.

But they are built for and have proven success in the ZBS.

They're damn sure better run blocking then in pass protection.

Personnally I don't get hung up on form or style.

I care about function and substance.

If a coach wants to pass the ball 60 times a game, it would be fine by me provided the offense is productive and efficient.

For me it disengenuos to say the running game isn't working without first committing to running the ball.

Archived