Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's that time of year again, 2014 ES Tailgate Charity Nominations

Capt. Kaos

Once again we are back and asking for nominations for the ES Tailgate 2014 Charity of the year.

For those unfamiliar, at the beginning of each season we decide on a charity to be spotlighted at the tailgate each home game. At the end of the season we tally up the donations and deliver the money to the chosen organization.

Last year's charity was Camp Fantastic, donations in the amount of $1500

Children's Inn was the charity for 2012, donations totaling $1700

and in 2011 Wounded Warrior was selected as our charity and they received $1400

So...

What'cha got??? Help us, help them.

I have a friend on dialysis.....for the fifth time. It is very common for people to be on dialysis multiple times as kidneys only last so long. He's had both of his parents kidneys, and then two others.

I'm recommending the American Kidney Fund for the 2014 charitable contributions.

i'm sure any charity selected will be well deserving, but if i had to pick just one, i'd pick the alzheimer's association..  my mom died of this and related dementia ~10 yrs ago...  I miss her very much...

http://www.alz.org/

Count me for vote #2 for this charity. I have had 2 aunts die of Alzheimer's and currently my mom and uncle have it. If a treatment isn't found soon I hope I go sooner rather than later it runs in my family. Horrible way to go.

Here is another thought. What about a Native American charity. They have a lot of issues mostly diabetes. Also the team is trying to support them with different aspects.

I am Cherokee and it is always needed.

Thoughts? Show fan support?

Here is another thought. What about a Native American charity. They have a lot of issues mostly diabetes. Also the team is trying to support them with different aspects.

I am Cherokee and it is always needed.

Thoughts? Show fan support?

Great idea. I wonder who called you with it......Oh wait. 

:)

#loveyameanit!

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is a great organization.  Feels a little awkward suggesting a cause that would help me but I know I'm not the only ESer with MS.

I actually clicked on this topic to nominate the National MS Society as well.  For a disease that effects so many, little is known about it causes.  The MS Society is great in helping people get help and get affordable drugs.  Without the MS Society, I think my loved ones would be in financial dire straights.

I go for the MS Society too ...  my baby brother back home in Wales has been battling with this condition since his late 20's - he's now in his 40's and thanks to his big sis he can rock his own Redskin shirt (with his name on the back) and his hat.  He's true burgundy and gold... 

HTTR!!!

I need some specific American Indian based charities. Any suggestions?

although i'm sure they're deserving, considering the current climate about the team name, i'm not sure we really want to go there, but if you really want to, just do a google search bro.. lots of them can be found...  personally, i'd avoid it..  drawing more attention to a pro skins org (us), might not be the best idea at this time...  just my 2 cents...

although i'm sure they're deserving, considering the current climate about the team name, i'm not sure we really want to go there, but if you really want to, just do a google search bro.. lots of them can be found...  personally, i'd avoid it..  drawing more attention to a pro skins org (us), might not be the best idea at this time...  just my 2 cents...

I'm leaving my .02 out of the discussion, though I did speak them to Huly when the suggestion was made. I'm asking for suggestions from others on the nominations, I really shouldn't have posted my agreement to the Alzheimer's idea, it just struck close to home. I'm sure if there's enough support for the idea some one will come along with a good charity.

btw: your 2 cents is appreciated, along with any one else that would like to chime in. That's why the suggestion was posted in the first place, to get input/feedback on the idea.

I also think we should choose a Native American organization. We try to set an example in our Tailgating behavior and I feel should also choose a charity that reflects those values.

My choice is Adopt-a-native Elder Program out of Utah, www.anelder.org.  This is a volunteer led organization which provides food and supplies to Native American elders living on reservations and following traditional ways of life.  They provide twice a year supply runs to these elders as well as shoes to children and education opportunies.

Those of us who remember the winning ways of the Redskins appreciate the "Elders" of Redskins Nation and I think it would be great to assist the Elders of other Nations.

Jackie

I'm going to keep this nomination post up until Sept. 1st both for nominations and feedback, pro/con, for supporting a Native American charity.

On Sept. 2nd I will set up and start the voting poll to decide which charity we will be supporting this year.

PS... I am still working on the out of towner option for donating, I'll accept suggestions for that also. Do you have a preferred method? Would you be less inclined to donate if we used paypal?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

I think supporting a native american charity would be a good thing to do.

I also would put a vote in for the National MS society, and a local charity that does amazing work is S.O.M.E (So Others Might Eat.)

Though, if the MS Society does get nominated, I'd try and donate directly to one of the local chapters, rather than the parent organization.  

Archived