Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden Knows Offense!

MustangSteve

For me I didn't see a lot of boneheaded play. Not many offsides or delay of game penalties. In and out of the huddle quick.No fumbles or interceptions. The basic fundamentals were there. And that's where it all starts. Last year they were a mess at this time of year. Hopefully they keep it up.

This right here. This is what I liked watching the game. What score?

Considered trying to start a new thread for this gem, posted just moments ago in Breaking News.  Nut decided that it could co here pretty well, since it's really about the "tone of the offense" (in fact, not just the offense), and not just about the running part of the O. 

ESPN: Redskins' run game must power mindset

The headline, and the first three paragraphs, talks about the running game.  But the article is more about a tone, for the whole team.  not just the running game, and not just the offense.

And it's an article that will really push your Redskin Fan Buttons, too.  :)

What the **** is so wrong with this title? Getting a running game going early in a game is huge for an offense, and gave us the opportunity to open up the playbook a little. As far as the title, it fits the thread very well. We came out hammering the ball, "THEN" when the secondary came up to help, we made them pay for it. This is how you get a defense on their toes and going backwars, that is called Great play calling! But I did need to edit the thread and did.

As far as pushing buttons, I am not here to pamper 85% of the freaking crybabies on this site! Crybabies will piss, moan and complain no matter what is said in these threads anyway. If people don't like the threads then move the **** on, it's that damn simple. If you wan't to read about good offensive coaching, then they can go back to the title and thread, and over to the Bengals and see how Jays offense got better each year under him. That's the sure sign of a good coach.

Oh, I'm definately a "run the ball" kind of guy. (I thought Marty didn't run the ball enough.)

(That's also why my favorite game of the last 20 years, at least, was the NFCE Championship Game, two years ago.  When we crushed Dallas' playoff hopes, by shoving the ball down their throats, the whole game.) 

Oh, I'm definately a "run the ball" kind of guy. (I thought Marty didn't run the ball enough.)

(That's also why my favorite game of the last 20 years, at least, was the NFCE Championship Game, two years ago.  When we crushed Dallas' playoff hopes, by shoving the ball down their throats, the whole game.) 

It's not only the running, it was once we got it going, the secondary was sneaking up and then bomb! I was begging for this under Shanahan, we had that opportunity, but then many times we all sat here wondering why we came back out with some of the plays we were going with. I myself was baffled a lot with our play calling many times. 

It was great to see Jay Gruden operate the way he did, he saw some weaknesses in the Patriots D and went after it. I guess what I'm trying to say is he looked competent lol. I usually watch games with good friends from many fan bases, and after some of the plays Mike called, that just didn't make since, fans from other fan bases would look over at me like wtf was that? I would tell them I don't know, I didn't call the play lol.

I know it's only preseason and I know we have plenty of work to do, and that will show when we go up against a good solid team. Monday Nights game against the Browns will most likely break another record for audience because of Manziel, he had almost 3 million viewers last week, I would love to us shut out Kyles offense. 

What I saw in the game?  A very good running game, just like last year, as long as its run on the left side of our offense.  I saw a passing game that struggled.  I saw a DLine that got good push, but I also saw that NE didnt start most of its offensive starters.  Remember, our problem last year wasnt our offense, it was our defense, and that was no test for our defense.  We will go 3-13 again if our defense cant hold teams to under 30 points.

I agree with this. I don't think you're being negative either. Last year we were an offense that could move the ball down the field and then we'd make a critical mistake on third down leading to a turnover or forcing us to kick a FG. That's what we saw Thursday with RG3 and Robinson not connecting on that ball in the end zone. Yeah, its a small sample size, but I'm not going to act like we played lights out.

After that, it was subs on subs, so I didn't really care about things like drives and scoring. I cared more about matchups and who made impressions. With all the talk about Hoffman, I was more impressed with Ross, who had some decent plays on offense as well as a nice return on special teams.

This right here! This very thing is the reason the Redskins lost so many close games they should have won. All the mental errors from the very ones who are in charge of time outs at the right time, hurry up offense at the right time, " this team would walk to the LOS when it was desperate that they hurry", 2 point conversions and extra points at the right time. Our coaching was a mess and it trickled down to the team on many occasions.

Yeah, how in the world could a team three years into a coach's regime not be prepared to run a hurry up?  That was what they said.  If true, indefensible on the coaches part.  Even worse that he said it late in the season.  Every team must have a two minute drill and be ready to run it at a moment's notice.

Yeah, how in the world could a team three years into a coach's regime not be prepared to run a hurry up?  That was what they said.  If true, indefensible on the coaches part.  Even worse that he said it late in the season.  Every team must have a two minute drill and be ready to run it at a moment's notice.

I recall several times, last season, Cooley announcing, during the game, that when Robert scrambles, and buys time with his legs, that the receivers don't have a plan for how to get open. 

I have no clue if it's true.  (Most games, all I can do is stream the radio broadcast).  But the impression I got was that our receivers were just standing there, covered. 

I recall several times, last season, Cooley announcing, during the game, that when Robert scrambles, and buys time with his legs, that the receivers don't have a plan for how to get open. 

I have no clue if it's true.  (Most games, all I can do is stream the radio broadcast).  But the impression I got was that our receivers were just standing there, covered. 

And there is just no excuse for that,especially from a team who is coached by someone who has been in the NFL for many years and even talked about being a HOF coach. Our Redskins looked like a team that was poorly coached. 

can we get to the regular season before we sing praises on how coach gruden is better than sliced bread calling a game?   sheesh...

No we can't! Especially when our coach already has a track record for making his offense better every year.

Im a Skin fan more then anyone, but I almost can't wait to see the reaction on this board after our first loss.  I may be eating wings during that game but I'll be sitting at my computer with a bag of popcorn after it reading ES thats for sure!

I won't be surprised, I'm expecting our offense to do well and score many points, but our Defense giving up more than we're scoring.

I won't be surprised, I'm expecting our offense to do well and score many points, but our Defense giving up more than we're scoring.

Im not expecting a SOLID defense by any means but I am expecting a PLAY-MAKING defense... meaning interceptions, sack/fumbles, ball-dropping-jarring-hits.. all that good stuff to give our offense the edge in the game.

I take almost nothing as far as predicting this season out of this game.  Remember, last year's team went 4-0 in the preseason.

Things I liked though:

Shawn Lauvao (I know many aren't high on this guy, but him plus Lich at center will be an improvement)

Orakpo sack (broke contain to get to QB, which from what we are hearing was not allowed last year)

Actually running "power" (for those that don't know, it's the downhill running play where the backside G pulls and lead blocks.  This was not in Shanny's offense, and I can tell you from experience it is tough to run sideline-to-sideline in zone plays then have them line up and smash it down your throat.  Great addition to the offense)

Offense looking to get 1st downs, and not touchdowns.  Great to see game management and calling plays that keep the offense on the field and let the D rest.

I take almost nothing as far as predicting this season out of this game.  Remember, last year's team went 4-0 in the preseason.

Things I liked though:

Shawn Lauvao (I know many aren't high on this guy, but him plus Lich at center will be an improvement)

Orakpo sack (broke contain to get to QB, which from what we are hearing was not allowed last year)

Actually running "power" (for those that don't know, it's the downhill running play where the backside G pulls and lead blocks.  This was not in Shanny's offense, and I can tell you from experience it is tough to run sideline-to-sideline in zone plays then have them line up and smash it down your throat.  Great addition to the offense)

Offense looking to get 1st downs, and not touchdowns.  Great to see game management and calling plays that keep the offense on the field and let the D rest.

Looked like we ran Power O on on one play, and Morris hit the hell out of it. Cant wait to see him silence the 'System back" doubters for good. Last year it was he couldn't succeed without the RO, and he nearly still put up 1300 yds with reduced touches and a sputtering offense.

Eh, Im not getting my hopes up about anything anymore.  When Kyle Shanahan came from Houston everyone thought that we got the next great offensive mind.  Houstons O got better every year with him.

And then there was the Al Saunders playbook, and how "genius" he was.

Coaches dont make the players good, players make the players good.

Joe Gibbs was the only coach Ive ever seen where with limited talent was able to get amazing results from his players.

Bellechick is up there too.  When Brady was out they still went 11-5 and made Matt Cassel a pro bowler.

I do not expect that.   I really don't.  I expect the 'Skins to score more points than they did last year. Hell, I expect them to be better than they were in 2012, when they averaged ~28ppg.

Here's why:  

1. Griffin is in his 3rd year, and while he didn't play real well last year, he got a lot of experience.  I think they're going to be able to use his ability to move the pocket, run at times, and also throw quickly to first reads, and I think he's going to have a BETTER year than in 2012.  More passing yards, TDs, and less rushing yards. Yes, I'm expecting a better season from Griffin than his rookie season.

2. The OL is bigger and better.  Kory looks to be ok at center, and Luavo is an upgrade at LG.  for the amount of crap he takes, Polumbus played better last year.  He's serviceable until (hopefully) moses can take over.  The weak link is Chester.  Hopefully Long can beat him out, but we'll see when.  

3.  Additions of Jackson and Roberts, a healthy Reed, and a (hopefully) improving Robinson gives the 'Skins 5 legitimate weapons at any point.  Moss and Grant as backups is a huge luxury.

4.  Morris is still Morris.  And I expect him to have a monster year.  

I also expect the defense to be significantly improved.  The biggest question is, of course, the coordinator.  So, we'll see how well that turns out.  But on paper:

1. Hatcher is a huge upgrade at DE. If he, Baker and Cofield can get some push from the interior, that would be huge.

2. Clark might have lost a step and he might not be the best safety for the Steelers.  But he's a significant improvement over Doughty and Merriweather playing out of position at FS.  

3. The ILB position lost a ton of experience, but gained a lot of athleticism.  I'll leave it at that, but that was a HUGE weakness last year.

4. Amerson looks like he's going to be a very good CB.  Combined with Hall, they have 2 pretty good guys outside, and with Clark and Merriweather in the middle, the secondary is no longer the dumpster-first that it was.  Though, they are REALLY thin. 

So all that said, I EXPECT them to be at least middle of the pack in terms of PPG.  If they get to 24 PPG, that's generally good for 16th ranked, or dead middle of the road average.   

My expectation is for a +4 or +5 PPG ratio.  I might be wrong, but if I'm wrong, I'm going to be madly disappointed.  And, for what it's worth, I don't think any of these assumptions are particularly "overly optimistic." I want the offense to be as good as it was 2 years ago, with added experience, health and weapons, and I expect the defense to be average. 

If those are high expectations, then we've all lowered the bar so low that it's lying on the ground. 

Archived