Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 16: Donald Trumps wins Presidency. God Help us all!

88Comrade2000

No she's not Mrs. Koch Brothers to "lefties."

But she is Mrs. Goldman Sachs, and Mrs. Citigroup, and Mrs. JP Morgan, and Mrs. Morgan Stanley, and Mrs. Lehman Brothers. It's not like we "lefties" are making this stuff up.

https://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/contrib.php?cid=N00000019&cycle=Career

And I'm supposed to believe she'll protect Main Street from Wall Street? That those millions of dollars Wall Street gives her don't buy anything? Please.

Those same people donate to everyone in every election because they have a ton of money.  They donated to Obama and John Kerry and Romney and Bush, alike.  

More importantly, "they" aren't a monolith.  Some people working for Citigroup are donating to Clinton, some to Jeb Bush, some to Rubio, Kacich, whoever.  (I guess not very many to Bernie Sanders, for obvious reasons. :) )

As it says in the page you linked:

The organizations themselves did not donaterather the money came from the organizations' PACs, their individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals' immediate families."

Now, if you are viewing things through a Bernie Sanders colored glasses, everyone else who isn't Bernie will look the same to you.   And if the only issue you truly care about is reining in Wall Street, I guess that isn't an unreasonable position to take.   

From my point of view, there are huge differences between Clinton and the GOP candidates on innumerable issues.  

So the answer is no, you cannot think of a likable female politician? I honestly cannot, and that bothers me (a bit).

Here's a list of Senators' approval ratings:

http://morningconsult.com/2015/11/bernie-sanders-is-the-most-popular-senator-in-america/

We all know (or should know) that Bernie has the highest approval rating, but that's not my point here. This goes to your point: the second highest approval rating in the Senate belongs to a woman: Maine's Susan Collins.

Other women get high marks too: Amy Klobucher, Elizabeth Warren, and Barbara Mikulski. Warren seems to be especially well liked nationally.

I'll also add Maxine Waters to the list. I grew to admire her when she opposed the Iraq War.

And I'll mention one of my historical heroes: Jeanette Rankin, a woman who should get a lot more ink in the history books.

I could keep going here, but that's a pretty good start.

So I think there are many likable women in politics. I just don't think Hillary is one of them.

And the Republicans will revere him. (If that happens).

No. No we won't he'll have the largest stay-at-homes probably ever.

Aren't you the guy who's candidate is probably no longer qualified to run?   :)

Yep that's me. Who ever knew if ones parents or any ancestors were not natural born citizens that disqualifies you.

Well, there are plenty of studies that suggest that personal characteristics and actions, when held or taken by men, will be viewed as smart, tough, driven and assertive. All positive things in a leader.

When a women acts the exact same way, she will viewed as cold, beeeetchy and unpleasant, and as a bad leader.

Ask any high level woman executive how it works.

This is true. I don't mean my above post to deny it. It's a serious problem.

I just wanted to point out that there are indeed likable women in politics.

Yep that's me. Who ever knew if ones parents or any ancestors were not natural born citizens that disqualifies you.

It doesn't.   Trump is completely full of crap on this birther nonsense.   I don't like your candidate (Rubio, right?), but he absolutely is a natural born citizen eligible to be President.

Also, Trump's own mom was born in Scotland.   :P

Those same people donate to everyone in every election because they have a ton of money. They donated to Obama and John Kerry and Romney and Bush, alike.

True indeed, the corrupting influence of big money pervades our political system. That's why our politicians are almost all spineless mouthpieces for special interests and lobbyists. They care more about their donors than the people.

But Bernie is different. He's not for sale. He wants to fix this rigged system. That's what this campaign is really all about.

I've posted this before, but it fits here (if you haven't seen Gil Fulbright yet, it's a must see):

https://youtu.be/NAtunJv6NtE

Rubio out talking to the public at the town park about a mile from me right now. Considering this area's political demographics,no surprise that there's no small amount of traffic in the area. Tempting to go down there before he leaves and shout a couple of questions,but I'd probably have to run for my life in the process. ;) 

This is true. I don't mean my above post to deny it. It's a serious problem.

I just wanted to point out that there are indeed likable women in politics.

Well, they are likeable until they get uppity and people think they might run for President  :P  

True indeed, the corrupting influence of big money pervades our political system. That's why our politicians are almost all spineless mouthpieces for special interests and lobbyists. They care more about their donors than the people.

But Bernie is different. He's not for sale. He wants to fix this. That's what this campaign is really all about.

That absolutely is what his campaign is all about.   That's all his campaign is about.  

I agree that issue is vitally important, but it is not the only issue I care about, and what's more, I don't think Bernie has a snowball's chance in hell of just "fixing" that problem.   This problem has been building for 225 years now, and with the Supreme Court decision in Citizen's United, you can't just fix it, unfortunately.  

That absolutely is what his campaign is all about. That's all his campaign is about.

That's not all his campaign is about, and I'm pretty sure you know that. It's also about outrageous healthcare costs, skyrocketing education costs, a shrinking middle class, our embarrassingly high incarceration rate, the environment, ending perpetual wars, civil rights, etc.

That said campaign finance is a huge issue, and it is the cornerstone of Bernie's campaign for a reason. Almost all the other issues are symptoms of this disease at the heart of our political system.

And that's the bottom line: Hillary represents the disease, and Bernie represents the cure.

And to double down on Bill..there is no doubt in my mind he would have wiped Dubya off the map in 2000 had he been allowed to have a FDR like run. 2004 might have been more trouble..but a nearly comatose personality Al Gore ran a historically bad campaign and nearly beat Dubya. You don't think a wise 2 term Bill Clinton would have fared better?

From my point of view, there are huge differences between Clinton and the GOP candidates on innumerable issues.

For the record: I agree with this. Hillary is the lesser evil. The thing is I'm getting tired of voting for evil, even if it is the lesser kind.

So I'll be voting for the greater good in the primary, and I'll worry about the general later (although honestly I'm leaning towards casting a protest vote if Hillary is the nominee).

For the record: I agree with this. Hillary is the lesser evil. The thing is I'm getting tired of voting for evil, even if it is the lesser kind.

So I'll be voting for the greater good in the primary, and I'll worry about the general later (although honestly I'm leaning towards casting a protest vote if Hillary is the nominee).

And I've got no problem with people voting for Bernie, because they like his positions.  (I like some of them, myself.  I think his notion of increasing the minimum wage is the only idea I can think of that might help reverse (or at least slow) the "trickle up" direction of money in our country.) 

But all I see in this thread is "vote for Bernie because Hillary is worse than Satan" 

I don't think Bernie has a snowball's chance in hell of just "fixing" that problem. This problem has been building for 225 years now, and with the Supreme Court decision in Citizen's United, you can't just fix it, unfortunately.

President Bernie could appoint Justices who would overturn that ruling. Could he not?

And furthermore, wouldn't his election send a message? Wouldn't it demonstrate that united citizens can beat Citizens United?

Rubio loses again

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/270310-trump-wins-additional-nh-delegate

Donald Trump is walking away with one more delegate in New Hampshire than media estimates predicted, at the expense of Marco Rubio

The New Hampshire secretary of State's office released the certified GOP delegate count Monday, showing Trump with 11 delegates to the national convention. Ohio Gov. John Kasich, the second-place winner, received four delegates. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and Sen.Ted Cruz won three, while Rubio, a Florida senator, won two.

And I've got no problem with people voting for Bernie, because they like his positions. (I like some of them, myself. I think his notion of increasing the minimum wage is the only idea I can think of that might help reverse (or at least slow) the "trickle up" direction of money in our country.)

But all I see in this thread is "vote for Bernie because Hillary is worse than Satan"

In fairness I've probably been overly critical of Hillary. A certain amount of criticism of a candidate is inevitable when you argue that her opponent is better, but I'm sure I've stepped over the line more than once.

That said, it's simply false to characterize my support for Bernie as being based on hatred for Hillary. My support for Bernie is based on liking Bernie. I've repeatedly held up his voting record, his platform, and his lack of big money financing as reasons I support him. I've defended his policy proposals (e.g. campaign finance reform, progressive taxation, universal healthcare, breaking up the big banks, free public college, prison reform, "just war" foreign policy, trade policy that's good for American workers, etc.) ad nauseam.

It's no secret I don't particularly like Hillary (and my dislike has grown watching the way she's campaigned against Bernie). I do think there is a strong argument for voting against her (she polls behind GOP candidates, she has low favoribility and trust ratings with voters, she voted for the Iraq war and the Patriot act, she gets huge contributions from Wall St, she considers Kissinger a foreign policy mentor, etc.), but that isn't the only reason why I support Bernie.

I support Bernie because he best articulates the problems I see in my country. First, I will say that I reject the GOP premise that 8 years of Obama is the problem with our country, or massove govt debt.

The #1 issue is income inequality, as well as all the benefits the 1% get themselves. College debt, and health care are also big parts of the problem.

His solutuons are not 100% mine or all agreeable to me, but he articulates my concerns.

The GOP won't even touch these issues. In fact their "solutions" are typically rigged against the middle class - especially since they are such a-holes to govt workers vs. bankers, etc. Govt shutdowns harm govt employeess. There are reasons they scaled back sequestration.

One area Hillary has over Bernie and everyone else is that she will be most likely to extend a good status quo Obama is passing on - contrary to the GOP rhetoric. Additionally, 8 years as first lady, 8 as Senator and 4 as Secretary of State give her the most diverse credentials on either side as far as govt experience. Maybe Kasich...

Running a business is not at all like running the govt. I could just see Trump getting upset at the legislative and policy beaurocracy... to the point where I can picture him wanting to waterboard the Supreme Court.

"Justice Roberts, he's a great guy, smart as a whip, we need these people... but the Supreme Court ruled against my unconstitutinal efforts to build a wall.. so I made to make some changes on the court, and my secret service have occupied the chambers there. I know, I know - its hard, but we gotta makes these decisons, beause the Supreme Court was standing in the way of MAKING AMERICA GREAT! Great countries punish those who keep them from getting that last 10% of gteatness. I am sure, in a little bit the Chief Justice will rule favorably for my administration... this wall is going to take some time."

Archived