Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 16: Donald Trumps wins Presidency. God Help us all!

88Comrade2000

Reagan then proceeded to go on the campaign trail and eviscerated Russia.

I've heard that one too..

I remember back in 80 before Reagan took office.. I had a job flying into Indianapolis and I had to take a two hour cab ride to the site.. Anyway.. my cab driver was this 1 armed WWII vet. We quickly started talking about current events specifically the Iranian hostages.

I remember laying out my argument that they were fanatics, not students, and they weren't motivated by things that would motivate you or me. And we as a nation just couldn't figure out yet how to deal with them, hence Carter's Rose garden policy. ( try not to upset them)

He responded that the most fanatical enemy the United States ever had was Japan during WWII. That even the japanese fanatics got mighty agreeable once we showed them we weren't being into their reality but were invested in them buying into ours. His words have always stuck with me.

I'm getting tired of this getting thrown around as fact.  Please show me the quote where he said ALL of the people coming from Mexico are rapists, etc.  He said (paraphrasing) that a lot of them were but we were also getting some good people. 

Accuracy matters.

Here's the quote:

When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/06/16/full-text-donald-trump-announces-a-presidential-bid/

How is he not a moderate relative to the others?

Cruz is a hardline Rightwing Tea Party Conservative and you think that makes him a Moderate?

Heck, others are routinely pointing out that Hillary's policies look more like Reagan than anyone on the Right.

To call Cruz a Moderate is to misunderstand the political spectrum entirely.

But hitting them or threatening them with a stick is provocative.

Yep. I have no problem with hitting them with a stick, drawing sanctions, or using other methods as warranted. I do think that what Trump does is different. He's acting as a firestarter and hatemonger. His verbal broadsides are not about policy or American defense. 

Here's the quote:

When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/06/16/full-text-donald-trump-announces-a-presidential-bid/

I'm assuming you are showing that to prove my point.  Because in that quote I don't read anywhere where he says they are ALL rapists, etc. 

I'm getting tired of this getting thrown around as fact.  Please show me the quote where he said ALL of the people coming from Mexico are rapists, etc.  He said (paraphrasing) that a lot of them were but we were also getting some good people. 

Accuracy matters.

Ok, ya got me not all.

When Mexico sends them (as if Mexico were sending anyone) they aren't sending their best, Trump "assumes" some might be nice people, and the implication is that all of the rest are dredges.

There ya got me, Trump isn't a racist afterall.

I'm assuming you are showing that to prove my point.  Because in that quote I don't read anywhere where he says they are ALL rapists, etc. 

No not all...he assumes some aren't....assumes but he can't prove it.

But, yeah you got us good on that one.

And really, who the hell wants to take in people with lots of problems?!

Get rid of those worthless wretches! It's simply un-American to let them in.

statue-of-liberty-poem-copy2.jpg

The way I read it is that Trump is suggesting that the vast majority of Mexicans coming over are problems. The worst of the Mexican culture, but sprinkled amongst them might, MIGHT be some good folks.

It's the 21st century equivalent of "some of my best friends are Mexican"

Yes, Trump's saying stupid stuff to seem tough. He's not being even remotely presidential obviously, but he's also not casually calling for a holocaust like Coulter.

“What good does it do to have a good nuclear triad if you’re afraid to use it?” - Trump spokeswoman.

Link.

Ok, ya got me not all.

When Mexico sends them (as if Mexico were sending anyone) they aren't sending their best, Trump "assumes" some might be nice people, and the implication is that all of the rest are dredges.

There ya got me, Trump isn't a racist afterall.

No not all...he assumes some aren't....assumes but he can't prove it.

But, yeah you got us good on that one.

I wasn't trying to "get" anyone.  I'm actually not a supporter of Trump.  I just hate when words are twisted to mean something they don't or someone is quoted as saying something they actually didn't say.  I'm no supporter of Obama either but I still call out my crazy uncle on Facebook when he post a link to some crazy right-wind news story about something Obama never said. 

If you are right, why not just use the facts and let them stand on their own?  They shouldn't need to be twisted.

"The truth is like a lion; you don’t have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself"

So the 3yr old (now illegal alien) who was brought here with his mom and dad and then stayed past his visa is a criminal, JMS?

Yes.

I'm far from one of the "deport em all" xenophobes in here. But the fact is, illegal immigration is illegal.

(Until we change the law.)

I wasn't trying to "get" anyone.  I'm actually not a supporter of Trump.  I just hate when words are twisted to mean something they don't or someone is quoted as saying something they actually didn't say.  I'm no supporter of Obama either but I still call out my crazy uncle on Facebook when he post a link to some crazy right-wind news story about something Obama never said. 

If you are right, why not just use the facts and let them stand on their own?  They shouldn't need to be twisted.

"The truth is like a lion; you don’t have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself"

Fine.

Now, are you going to tell me that Trump didn't mean to strongly suggest that the people Mexico is sending aren't rapists and murderers? While allowing the possibility that there might be a few who are good?

This is like the joke about the mathematician and the physicist, you're the mathematician.

A mathematician and a physicist agree to a psychological experiment.

The mathematician is put in a chair in a large empty room and a

beautiful naked woman is placed on a bed at the other end of the room.

The psychologist explains, "You are to remain in your chair. Every

five minutes, I will move your chair to a position halfway between its

current location and the woman on the bed." The mathematician looks

at the psychologist in disgust. "What? I'm not going to go through

this. You know I'll never reach the bed!" And he gets up and storms

out. The psychologist makes a note on his clipboard and ushers the

physicist in. He explains the situation, and the physicist's eyes

light up and he starts drooling. The psychologist is a bit confused.

"Don't you realize that you'll never reach her?" The physicist smiles

and replied, "Of course! But I'll get close enough for all practical

purposes!"

But you won't hear that from Republicans or Democrats because neither one of them actually want to stop the flow of illegals because they are good for business and likely net actually good for the US economy.

Actually, that's the major difference I hear about, between D's and R's, in regards to this problem.

The R's raid a place, grab all the workers, ship them all off, and do nothing to the employer.

The D's raid the employer's office, hit the employer with big fines, and wish the now-jobless illegals good luck with their next job.

Granted, those claims seem to mostly be anecdotal.

Why? Is their a moderate Republican in the race? I can think of at least one moderate Democrat still in it. 

Or maybe the comment wasn't about extremists (like I thought Burgold was making)???

He said: "What a state for the Republicans to be in when the best in their field is Trump and Cruz."

While Clinton and Sanders are the only options in the other party. Clinton presumed to be the front runner by far, by everyrone except for the Sanders supporters. A person many people say they'll vote for because she's better than the GOP alternative, but otherwise they're not thrilled about her.

So yeah it's not like the Democrat's are in this great state looking at their field either. I didn't see him say anything about moderates or extremists.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/beckycatherineharris/what-it-feels-like-to-hear-trumps-speech-as-a-mexican-americ#.cyOeVJXPm

This is going viral. The link includes videos and gifs of a Mexican-American family (legal US citizens) watching one of Trump's numerous tirades about Mexican immigrants. 

Donald Trump hasn’t been shy about his position on Mexican immigration, which is a position that has left several people feeling alienated and upset.

When Donald Trump made a speech that generalized Mexican immigrants as dangerous and criminal, Carmyn couldn’t help but be upset.

His speech made sweeping generalizations about Mexican immigrants as a whole (both legal and illegal).

For Carmyn, watching something like this was terrifying…

…And seeing the way the crowd rallied in support for Trump was even more disconcerting.

She was unsure of how to feel: Scared, upset, angry… or all of the above.

So, in an effort to comfort Carmyn, her mother found data to disprove the horrible claims Trump had made about Mexicans and their culture.

Contrary to Trump’s claims, immigrants (both legal and unauthorized) are statistically immigrants (both legal and unauthorized) are less likely to commit crimes than native-born Americans.

And immigrants are not just active participants in society, they’re also entrepreneurs.

Essentially, the success of the United States is grounded on the people who have immigrated here.

So, as far as Carmyn is concerned, Trump can sit down…

…Because no one should feel intimidated or unwelcome in their own country and in their own home.

Fine.

Now, are you going to tell me that Trump didn't mean to strongly suggest that the people Mexico is sending aren't rapists and murderers? While allowing the possibility that there might be a few who are good?

I don't know.  I'm not in his head and I haven't had a chance to personally ask him.  That's why all I have to go on is what he said.  Again, I'm not trying to defend Trump, I'm trying to just get people to use the truth of what was said.  I guess asking for that in a political thread is to much to ask for. 

And I realize ASF that you aren't the only doing this.  It's just one that jumped out at me that I knew to be false off the top of my head and I actually had time to respond.

RE: trump's comments about rapists and murders and drug dealers.

he clarified that he was describing the people that are part of the immigration problem that bring the people here. the coyotes

which, we know is true. they do rape the women/girls. they do murder some of them for whatever reason (or they run across a cartel), and they are smuggling drugs.

*shrug*

(i need a shower now)

Archived