Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Br: What's Wrong With Rg3? Medical Experts Say He Needs More Time

MusicCitySkin

I stumbled across this bleacher report article that I feel can shed some light and perspective on what might really be going on with our franchise quarterback.  It suggests that patience is what's needed most right now.

There are several reasons why the Washington Redskins are 0-2, but the one topping everyone's list pertains to Robert Griffin III. The team's sophomore franchise quarterback just hasn't been himself, which shouldn't be surprising considering Griffin is only eight months removed from surgery to repair the ACL and LCL in his right knee.

Griffin hasn't been the dual threat we're used to, but he has struggled as a pocket passer too, despite facing beatable defenses from Philadelphia and Green Bay.

In order to get a better feel for what's ailing the reigning NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, the Bleacher Report NFC East blog spoke to a handful of medical experts from the United States and Canada, all of whom either specialize in orthopedics, sports medicine or both. That, combined with a study of the tape from the first two weeks, helped us draw some conclusions regarding Griffin's early-season struggles.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1776599-whats-wrong-with-robert-griffin-iii-medical-experts-say-itll-take-more-time

NBC Sports' Rodney Harrison (formerly of the Pats and Chargers) said the same thing about RG3 during the rain-delay of Sunday Night Football's game between the Seahags and Niners.  Harrison brought up his own ACL surgery during his playing days, and said that it took him a long time to not freak out when players would be falling near his legs.  The same is true here.  We (and I put myself in this category) were silly to believe that RG3 could hit the ground running perfectly smoothly after such a major operation.

I posted this in another thread but I think people confuse the knee being 100% repaired and healthy with Griffin the QB being 100% in football shape and match sharp. It will probably take 3 or 4 weeks for Griffin to get into football shape and shake the rust off in terms of making reads and timing with his receivers. But it normally takes as much as a full year for a player to get the full explosion they had pre injury back after an ACL.

My hope is that after the bye week in two weeks, we will see RG3 starting to get quicker and they begin to use him more effectively by rolling him out of the pocket.  For the life of me, I don't understand why we are just keeping him in the pocket given that a simple roll out would help him create better passing lanes.

My hope is that after the bye week in two weeks, we will see RG3 starting to get quicker and they begin to use him more effectively by rolling him out of the pocket.  For the life of me, I don't understand why we are just keeping him in the pocket given that a simple roll out would help him create better passing lanes.

I was watching the backside edge defender against the Packers - on runs away he was just sat waiting for RGIII. Now that might start to change as teams watch our games and see RGIII is not the run threat he was, but right now teams are taking away that roll out. We need to move the throwing point but that might need some rolling pockets and something more creative than a simple boot off the stretch play.

When I saw BR I really didn't want to click on the link but curiosity got me and I will say this is the best article I have ever read Redskins related on BR. (that's not saying much, but this was well written.) There were actual Dr. quoted, and of course a couple jabs but overall it stands as solid. 

Well, RGIII should have kept his mouth shut, instead of getting in front of mics stating he's 100% ready and eager.

Its obvious he's not.  Egos are like cookie jars; dip your hand in it once, and its so easy to keep doing it, til you're caught.

Or something to that effect; its early!

Something you'd like to confess Mr 'I don't even like cookies. HONEST!' ?

*Completely and utterly agree on the ego.

Hail 

NBC Sports' Rodney Harrison (formerly of the Pats and Chargers) said the same thing about RG3 during the rain-delay of Sunday Night Football's game between the Seahags and Niners.  Harrison brought up his own ACL surgery during his playing days, and said that it took him a long time to not freak out when players would be falling near his legs.  The same is true here.  We (and I put myself in this category) were silly to believe that RG3 could hit the ground running perfectly smoothly after such a major operation.

Us?  What about him and the coaching staff?  lol   We're allowed to think silly stuff like that, they should know better.

AP set the bar, which is truly impossible for returning to action from an ACL reconstruction, IMO.  Maybe the strength of his quads/hams presurgery helped him recover faster, but that truly was a miracle recovery.  Griffin most likely won't be back to form until late this season at the earliest, most likely not until next season.  All the rehab & technology in the world doesn't overcome the issue that your body just needs a lot of time not only for physical recovery, but the mental as well.

RGIII had a commercial out I believe "all in for week one" with Adidas.  This is where both Mike and Synder should have stepped in and had a serious talk to the young man.  Also many of us have said he should never have started this season, not until the bye.  But all the hype and talk made it essential he starts. Big mistake.  Andrews did say he is healthy but has reservations.  All this point to the fact that RGIII's ego cornered him and he had to be out there.

lets not forget also where GB and the Eagles D ranks.  They are just about the easiest Ds to play against.  I am afraid this is not over people, I think this will continue to be an issue at least until the bye, or so we can hope.

Now AP remember was totally average thru the first 6 games, so I do believe RGIII will get his feet under him by the 6th to 8th game.  By that time we might be 1-5 however.  personally I have already given up on this season and I pray RGIII plays it out and gets his old self back without any injuries.  next year with the cap back we might be ready.  

Add me to that list too. Now we all know that this is going to take some time, but the main question is how much time? How many games are we going to sacrifice trying to get Griffin back to full speed and confident. Are we going to watch the division and playoffs slip away while we have a good back up QB who is capable of leading this team to victory? Do fans and coaches even realize this team could easily be 0-6 before RG3 is fully ready to go and even when healthy our defense could give away too many points for any QB to over come. Damn it what happened to that NFC East Champion team we were all expecting to torch the NFL in 2013? Somebody needs to pay for this and I say destroy Mara!

Add me to that list too. Now we all know that this is going to take some time, but the main question is how much time? How many games are we going to sacrifice trying to get Griffin back to full speed and confident. Are we going to watch the division and playoffs slip away while we have a good back up QB who is capable of leading this team to victory sits on the bench? Do fans and coaches even realize this team could easily be 0-6 before RG3 is fully ready to go and even when healthy our defense could give away too many points for any QB to over come. Damn it what happened to that NFC East Champion team we were all expecting to torch the NFL in 2013? 

It'll be interesting to see if that scenario plays out.  When the patience runs out after the season goes in the tank while he's getting himself together.

MustangSteve I couldn't agree with you more.  Some of us were rediculed for even suggesting Cousins starts the first 4 games of the season.  What you and I (and many are saying) is this.  Why take the chance?  he is not himself.  This is the TEAM Washington Redskins not the RGIII show.  We love  him and because of that we want him to be our QB for the next 10 years.  In such a case why is he in there if he is not confident, himself, etc.  Do we really care if we toss this season in order to insure this kid will be our QB for then next 10 years.  And having said that are we really throwing in the towel this year by starting Cousins?  I don't think so or at least we don't know.  What we do know however is we are risking RGIII right now for no good reason.  

I disagree.  His knee ligaments are 100%.  Just not his confidence.  The ONLY way he gets his confidence back is being out on the field in real time game action.  If he were to sit out the entire season this whole process would start exactly where it is right now next year and we would be griping then.  Kirk Cousins would maybe get us a few more wins this season, though with our defense that may not be true.  But these games are rehab for RGIII.  Not knee rehab but mind rehab.

MustangSteve I couldn't agree with you more.  Some of us were rediculed for even suggesting Cousins starts the first 4 games of the season.  What you and I (and many are saying) is this.  Why take the chance?  he is not himself.  This is the TEAM Washington Redskins not the RGIII show.  We love  him and because of that we want him to be our QB for the next 10 years.  In such a case why is he in there if he is not confident, himself, etc.  Do we really care if we toss this season in order to insure this kid will be our QB for then next 10 years.  And having said that are we really throwing in the towel this year by starting Cousins?  I don't think so or at least we don't know.  What we do know however is we are risking RGIII right now for no good reason.  

Again I think people are getting lost in the difference between being 100% healthy from a medical perspective and being 100% in football shape and game sharp. I think he is 100% in terms of the knee structurally - its not going to get any better in the next 3 or 4 weeks anyway - but it might take a full year to get the explosion back he had before, thats quite normal for an athlete coming off an ACL.

However the only way he gets in football shape and game sharp is by playing. So my view is if you sit him for the first 4 weeks you don't gain anything in terms of the soundness of his knee and you still would have to see RGIII take time to get game sharp and in football shape once he did start.

If his knee is 100% (whatever that actually means) and he is medically cleared to play starting him week 1 was absolutely the right decision IMO. 

What you need is the other facets of the team to operate at high level to give him time to knock the rust off and keep you competitive but we have seen the defense collapse, special teams be awful and the running game sputter with fumbles, holding calls and missed blocks. The way the team has a whole as played it would not matter who was at QB and it will continue not to matter unless we get a lot better across the board and quickly.

I disagree.  His knee ligaments are 100%.  Just not his confidence.  The ONLY way he gets his confidence back is being out on the field in real time game action.  If he were to sit out the entire season this whole process would start exactly where it is right now next year and we would be griping then.  Kirk Cousins would maybe get us a few more wins this season, though with our defense that may not be true.  But these games are rehab for RGIII.  Not knee rehab but mind rehab.

I always question the "100%" diagnosis if he still HAS to wear the brace.  If he's wearing it by choice for comfort and peace of mind, that's one thing.  But I got the impression he's wearing it under medical orders, which to me implies it's still in some sort of danger.  

A great example is Chris Paul, CP3. I remember watching him after he returned from his ACL surgery. Remember thinking, wow he's a shell of his former self. He just didn't have the same burst & quickness. It came back though. By the next season he looked just like the CP3 we all remembered. Griffin will get there too.

AP set the bar, which is truly impossible for returning to action from an ACL reconstruction, IMO.  Maybe the strength of his quads/hams presurgery helped him recover faster, but that truly was a miracle recovery.  Griffin most likely won't be back to form until late this season at the earliest, most likely not until next season.  All the rehab & technology in the world doesn't overcome the issue that your body just needs a lot of time not only for physical recovery, but the mental as well.

That is just it AP was VERY pedestrian in his first 6 games with only (1) game over 100 yards.  And 5 of those teams defense were not all world, hell he only had 79 yards week 6 against the Skins.  He recovery seemed all world because by the end of the season he was killing teams.  Hell he ran for almost 1600 yards in the last 10 games of the season.   Give it time hopefully the progression for RGIII will be the same.  And I think the mental part you mention might be the biggest issue

Agree with MartinC on his points.

Assuming the knee is as medically sound and healed as it can be, you absolutely have to let him play through this and get his game back. Sitting him the first 4 weeks would be pretty much pointless since he would still have to go through the same thing after those 4 weeks; it's just delaying the inevitable at that point. Same thing with benching him; all it would do is set him back. You have to let him play and take the lumps that will come with him not being himself yet as a player. In these situations you'd hope other facets of the team would be able to shine and take up some of the slack...no such luck; our D has been downright atrocious and special teams has been completely lackluster as well. If people are going to use the AP model then you need to give him 5-6 games at least and see if he is looking more comfortable and more like the old RG3 after that.

It'll be interesting to see if that scenario plays out.  When the patience runs out after the season goes in the tank while he's getting himself together.

If the team is committed to him then it isn't in issue. He is their franchise QB and has to get his game speed back against live competition. Sitting him until the bye week wouldn't have helped because he wouldn't have gotten the full reps in practice and then once he came back, he still wouldn't have his timing with WRs down or his confidence going against full speed defenses trying to crush him.

Doesn't make sense. 

Agree with MartinC on his points.

Assuming the knee is as medically sound and healed as it can be, you absolutely have to let him play through this and get his game back. Sitting him the first 4 weeks would be pretty much pointless since he would still have to go through the same thing after those 4 weeks; it's just delaying the inevitable at that point. Same thing with benching him; all it would do is set him back. You have to let him play and take the lumps that will come with him not being himself yet as a player. In these situations you'd hope other facets of the team would be able to shine and take up some of the slack...no such luck; our D has been downright atrocious and special teams has been completely lackluster as well. If people are going to use the AP model then you need to give him 5-6 games at least and see if he is looking more comfortable and more like the old RG3 after that.

Exactly what I was trying to say. 

AP set the bar, which is truly impossible for returning to action from an ACL reconstruction, IMO.  Maybe the strength of his quads/hams presurgery helped him recover faster, but that truly was a miracle recovery. 

Also, I don't think AP was coming off a second surgery on the same knee? -AND- RGIII played weeks SOONER than AP did.. Just isn't humanly possible to be 100% in that time frame, under those circumstances, imo..

We just all believe RGIII is larger than life and believed him when he said he was ready to go full speed.. Who could blame us? Look at his work ethic, his drive, his skill level, his demeanor.. The kids a rock star! He'll be fine, just gonna take time..

Archived