Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is going to happen in Washington and Colorado with the legalization of marijuana?

Skinz4Life12

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews

Ahead of state law change, US Attorney's Office says marijuana possession illegal 'under federal law' -

http://www.kentreporter.com/news/182266431.html

U.S. Attorney's Office issues statement about marijuana law

"The department’s responsibility to enforce the Controlled Substances Act remains unchanged. Neither states nor the executive branch can nullify a statute passed by Congress. In enacting the Controlled Substances Act, Congress determined that marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance.

Regardless of any changes in state law, including the change that will go into effect on Dec. 6 in Washington state, growing, selling or possessing any amount of marijuana remains illegal under federal law. Members of the public are also advised to remember that it remains against federal law to bring any amount of marijuana onto federal property, including all federal buildings, national parks and forests, military installations and courthouses."

The wheels are turning here in Boulder:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_22126673

Boulder City Council: No ban on recreational pot shops for now

By Erica Meltzer Camera Staff Writer

Boulder will face tight deadlines to come up with its own recreational marijuana regulations, and there's a small chance retail pot stores could open before the city gets its rules in place unless officials ban such businesses soon, City Attorney Tom Carr said Tuesday night.

Despite the concerns of the city attorney, the Boulder City Council held off on any action, saying they needed more information and public input before they could even consider a ban.

Councilwoman Lisa Morzel cited the high level of support for Amendment 64 among Boulder voters as she said she could not in good conscious support a ban.

"Invoking a ban would be so non-democratic and would provoke the wrath of the public to such an extent that it would not be a good idea politically," she said.

Carr has recommended the city not allow the stores because the window for the state to write its regulations and the city to start issuing business licenses is only a few months, which isn't much time for a thorough public process around what regulations the city should adopt.

There's also a slim possibility stores could open after the state approves its regulations this spring but before Boulder has regulations in place in the fall, he said.

In a memo to the City Council, he asked the council for feedback on what members would like to do and suggested they could revisit the issue in 2014, after the market and regulatory climate has evolved.

At the council meeting, Carr said moving slowly would be better for both the city and marijuana business owners.

More after the jump

If Republicans were smart, they would come in, support the will of the people and make an impassioned defense of the 10th amendment.

No surprise that the President will continue to incarcerate marijuana users. He is quickly become one of the most authoritarian Presidents we have ever seen

Well, hope Colorado voters are going to enjoy having the feds up their asses in the near future. I didn't think the feds were going to crack down and try to make an example of our state...but it's becoming increasingly clear that they are.

Talk within the law enforcement and public health community is that we're going to see an unprecedented amount of DEA agents invading our state.

Have fun ya'll, I'm outtie in a week :)

Well, hope Colorado voters are going to enjoy having the feds up their asses in the near future. I didn't think the feds were going to crack down and try to make an example of our state...but it's becoming increasingly clear that they are.

Talk within the law enforcement and public health community is that we're going to see an unprecedented amount of DEA agents invading our state.

Have fun ya'll, I'm outtie in a week :)

Maybe so, only time will tell. But will they be spending time investigating individual citizens for carrying 2oz around in their pocket? I doubt it. And on that front, this is a big win.

Maybe so, only time will tell. But will they be spending time investigating individual citizens for carrying 2oz around in their pocket? I doubt it. And on that front, this is a big win.

Well, Holder has already met with Hickenlooper to discuss how this is going to work...and I don't think it's a coincidence that Hickenlooper has become inscreasingly opposed to this law behind the scenes.

You're right though, the feds aren't going to be wasting their time investigating and arresting individual users. They're going to go after the businesses and their owners.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/justice-to-wash-state-pot-still-illegal-under-federal-law/2012/12/05/c7e87204-3f33-11e2-a2d9-822f58ac9fd5_story.html?hpid=z2

Justice to Wash. state: Pot still illegal under federal law

On the eve of marijuana becoming legal in Washington state, the Justice Department warned that the possession, growing or use of the drug remains illegal under federal law.

“Regardless of any changes in state law, including the change that will go into effect on Dec. 6 in Washington state, growing, selling or possessing any amount of marijuana remains illegal under federal law,” said a statement issued by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Seattle on Wednesday evening.

Voters in Washington state and Colorado approved ballot initiatives last month that decriminalized the possession of up to an ounce of marijuana by adults. The Washington state law goes into effect Thursday and Colorado’s law will change in the coming weeks.

Authorities in both states have already started dismissing hundreds of misdemeanor cases and retraining state and local police for dealing with the change.

The Justice Department position sets up a potential court fight between the federal government and the states.

Though the measures violated federal drug laws, Justice had refused to provide any guidance despite requests from both states. But the statement made clear that, at least from Justice’s perspective, federal law should prevail. Under federal law, marijuana is considered a Schedule 1 drug, the same category as LSD and heroin.

Link for rest

“Regardless of any changes in state law, including the change that will go into effect on Dec. 6 in Washington state, growing, selling or possessing any amount of marijuana remains illegal under federal law,” said a statement issued by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Seattle on Wednesday evening.

:obvious:

**** the feds man...when's the last time a pot smoker went on a killing spree, sold a baby for more pot, or hit and killed a mom because he was driving under the influence.

still tokin' well down here on the south side in Parker. :)

Part of me says that the Feds are going to wake up to the fact that they're going against the political will, here.

And I'm really surprised that it's happening under a Dem admin. I would have expected the Dems to, well, not come out and endorse legalization, but at least not fight it, either.

Part of me says that the Feds are going to wake up to the fact that they're going against the political will, here.

And I'm really surprised that it's happening under a Dem admin. I would have expected the Dems to, well, not come out and endorse legalization, but at least not fight it, either.

I'm surprised too Larry. It totally sucks and I don't even toke or live in one of those states. Waste of time and $$$

Yeah, well repeated public statements made by the attorney general and justice department about the fact that marijuana is still illegal under federal law, IMO, indicates that they are setting the stage for a crack down. The feds don't give 2 hoots about the political "will" of the public...

**** the feds man...when's the last time a pot smoker went on a killing spree, sold a baby for more pot, or hit and killed a mom because he was driving under the influence.

still tokin' well down here on the south side in Parker. :)

federal law is ****ed up on this subject
I'm surprised too Larry. It totally sucks and I don't even toke or live in one of those states. Waste of time and $$$

Why be surprised?

President Obama has proven himself to be incredibly authoritarian.

Whether its record prosecutions of whistle blowers and leakers, the drone program and the "rules" which govern it, and now pot, the guy is a authoritarian statist through and through.

He could simply tell Holder to look the other way and we won't have the coming federal crackdown

There was a really cool interview on NPR last week (All things considered?) The guy on it painted a very cool picture of the Marijuana farmers in Colorado. He said gone, there, are the days of aged, compressed, stemmy Marijuana (because it mostly comes over in a concealed manner). He was saying the buds looked almost crystalline, fresh. The "farmers" were basically shirtless, um, hippies and they'd be blasting music they feel the plants would respond to inside this cavernous grow area. It was just an interesting description of the whole operation.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-two-die-at-alleged-washington-pot-house-20121208,0,5128410.story

Two suspected robbers believed to be targeting an alleged home-based marijuana growing operation were killed in a shootout on the first day of legal marijuana in Washington state, authorities said.

The 35-year-old homeowner told detectives he shot the masked intruders Thursday after they broke into his home near Puyallup, Pierce County Sheriff spokesman Ed Troyer said, according Komonews.com. Troyer told the news outlet that the masked men most likely sought to grab the pot and maybe cash.

The Associated Press reported the secluded, luxury home had a security system, a private driveway and that the homeowner had motorcycles, boats and nice cars.

The homeowner and his 9-year-old son were not hurt. The homeowner, whose name was not released, was detained, at least pertaining to an illegal growing operation, Troyer told the wire service. He has since been released.

The marijuana at the home was of large quantity, much more than one would need for medicinal use, Troyer said.

The shooting occurred on the first day of legal marijuana in the state. The law, which voters approved in November, allows those 21 and older to possess an ounce or less of pot.

Backers of the initiative hope the law puts an end to the black market marijuana industry, such as the alleged growing operation where the shooting took place.

Well, kids sure ain't wasting any time in exercising their new freedom to legally use dope. This wasn't predictable at all... :ols:

"Air Academy student hospitalized after eating pot brownie"

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22177617/air-academy-student-hospitalized-after-eating-pot-brownie

"Students arrested for feeding pot brownies to class, professor"

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/Students-arrested-for-feeding-pot-brownies-to/xLELaZ1cI0SOak5ybICwVw.cspx

* The 2 CU students (one underage) are being charged with multiple felonies. Sucks to be a dumbass :ols:

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/12/14/obama_not_going_after_pot_smokers.html

Obama Not Going After Pot Smokers

President Obama told ABC News that the federal government has better things to do than prosecute marijuana users in Colorado and Washington where voters chose to legalized in the last election.

Said Obama: "We've got bigger fish to fry. It would not make sense for us to see a top priority as going after recreational users in states that have determined that it's legal."

Here we go:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/president-obama-marijuana-users-high-priority-drug-war/story?id=17946783#.UMtCpm_Aeh0

Marijuana Not High Obama Priority

President Obama says recreational users of marijuana in states that have legalized the substance should not be a "top priority" of federal law enforcement officials prosecuting the war on drugs.

"We've got bigger fish to fry," Obama said of pot users in Colorado and Washington during an exclusive interview with ABC News' Barbara Walters.

"It would not make sense for us to see a top priority as going after recreational users in states that have determined that it's legal," he said, invoking the same approach taken toward users of medicinal marijuana in 18 states where it's legal.

Click here for the rest.

It will be interesting to see what his administration does with the dispensaries...

I think it was pretty much a given feds weren't going to go after individual users, that's a complete waste of time. I can definitely see them still coming in and cracking down on business owners, however.

Regardless, I'm outta this state tomorrow.

And sidenote: My property manager is a complete pothead and it's hysterical. Everytime he's brought potential prospects over to tour my house, he's high as a kite and our house smells like an Amsterdam hostel aftward. My very religious, conservative mother is out here helping me pack things up and yesterday she couldn't figure out what that terrible smell was. My roommate and I finally broke the news to her that she was smelling marijuana and her facial expression was priceless. Couldn't...stop...laughing. My roommate is dying to take her to a dispensary as a joke. I'm half tempted to go along with her plan because I think it would be hilarious.

Anyway, people are definitely taking advantage of the legal status now...several of the OTC athletes I know have smoked pot every single day since the measure passed in November. I don't know how they are maintaining their athletic conditioning, but I guess since it's a non-Olympic year, they don't really care too much. :ols:

I'm waiting for the newest Colorado tourism advertisement:

"Why travel all the way to Amsterdam to smoke pot? Buy American! You can fly to a major hub airport in Denver, drive two hours to some fantastic skiing and snowboarding, and smoke as much as you want. All for a fraction of the price and hassle of traveling abroad. Packages include tours of the local Frito Lay warehouses, and food provided by Taco Bell and Chipotle. Call now, flights are filling up fast!"

Archived