Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sports: Report: Cowboys impose new set of rules for Dez Bryant to live by

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19924023/report-cowboys-impose-new-set-of-rules-for-dez-bryant-to-live-by

For all of his talent, Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant has had a tough time staying off the police blotter.

To that end, in the same way you must treat a petulant child, the Cowboys have enforced a set of rules for Bryant to follow. ESPN Dallas has the details of the agreement to which Bryant agreed last week.

A few of the rules: a curfew of midnight, no drinking alcohol, no strip clubs, nightclubs allowed only if he has a security team with him, he must have security personnel with him at all times, he will be driven to practice and games by said security personnel.

The reasons for the Cowboys insistence on a new Bryant lifestyle are obvious and varied.

[...]Though oftentimes Cowboys owner Jerry Jones comes off as a coddler for talented, yet troubled players (Jeff Pearlman's book “Boys Will Be Boys” has some fascinating stories about all this), he certainly seems to be taking a stand here.

Especially when he says he's “too pissed to talk” to Bryant and, “He's just got to come on, step up and accept responsibility, and I think he can get there. I'm demanding that he work through it. He must do it or we can't count on him.”

Crazy talent but the guy is a headcase. It's ridiculous when a professional adult needs more supervision than a 10 year old because he can't be trusted by himself.

Of course he'll agree to it for now because he's not in a position to really fight it. Just wait though, after a month or two of being under constant surveillance and being treated like this he's going to start to resent it and it'll become an issue again.

Crazy talent but the guy is a headcase. It's ridiculous when a professional adult needs more supervision than a 10 year old because he can't be trusted by himself.

Of course he'll agree to it for now because he's not in a position to really fight it. Just wait though, after a month or two of being under constant surveillance and being treated like this he's going to start to resent it and it'll become an issue again.

They gave Pac Man 24 hour surveillance, too.

He ended up getting into a fight with his bodyguard :ols:...

You should see how some people are reacting on NFL.com. They say things like, "At least he is try? He understands he has a problem and asked for help." What? He never asked for help. Jerry Jones told him this is the way it is going to be or you're gone. But Jerry will never learn. He continues to draft or sign players that he thinks he can temper or even tame their problems. He thinks he is a person that can change them into productive citizens in society becaue of his work with troubled players and youth in the past. What an idiot. He gives the NFL a bad name with players like T.O., Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson, and now Dez Bryant continuing their issues off the field. It brings a smile to my face every time I hear something like this happening to Jerry Jones and the Cowboys. And he calls the Cowboys America's team. You never saw any trouble on the Cowboys before Jerry Jones owned it or during Tom Landry's coaching days. Landry would have got rid of them. I remember when they had a QB get all big and bad with I think Staubach and he was gone the next day. I don't remember the guys name but Landry ran a tight ship unlike Jerry's Circus World.

Dez Bryant at night clubs, couple of cute girls comes hey, hey dez you're hot, lets drink

"No sorry, i'm not allowed to drink, my boss forbids it, and I can't go home with you cause these guys have to drive me everywhere"

I for one can't wait for this to happen.

This dude is an insane nutcase who is about to be smothered with rules, hell catholic priests have less strict standards to live by!

I figure when he rebels against his rules, he's gonna do it in a big way, the fireworks should be spectacular!!!

You should see how some people are reacting on NFL.com. They say things like, "At least he is try? He understands he has a problem and asked for help." What? He never asked for help. Jerry Jones told him this is the way it is going to be or you're gone. But Jerry will never learn. He continues to draft or sign players that he thinks he can temper or even tame their problems. He thinks he is a person that can change them into productive citizens in society becaue of his work with troubled players and youth in the past. What an idiot. He gives the NFL a bad name with players like T.O., Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson, and now Dez Bryant continuing their issues off the field. It brings a smile to my face every time I hear something like this happening to Jerry Jones and the Cowboys. And he calls the Cowboys America's team. You never saw any trouble on the Cowboys before Jerry Jones owned it or during Tom Landry's coaching days. Landry would have got rid of them. I remember when they had a QB get all big and bad with I think Staubach and he was gone the next day. I don't remember the guys name but Landry ran a tight ship unlike Jerry's Circus World.

Hollywood Henderson would disagree.....

I find myself wondering if jerry is also going to sew dez's name in his underwear and pack him a lunch with a sippy-cup too.

If this went the pacman route it would be absolutely priceless. I thank god for the day when jerry decided to pass on randy moss which further strangthened his resolve to draft the dez bryants of the nfl world.

I find myself wondering if jerry is also going to sew dez's name in his underwear and pack him a lunch with a sippy-cup too.

If this went the pacman route it would be absolutely priceless. I thank god for the day when jerry decided to pass on randy moss which further strangthened his resolve to draft the dez bryants of the nfl world.

you hit the nail on the head. Passing on Moss not only deprived them of an uber talented receiver who wanted to play for Dallas, when he proceeded to light up the league, Double-J vowed to never make the same mistake again. I don't know if drafting Dez was a mistake, his numbers have been pretty good and everybody seems to think that the sky is the limit for him. However, the more I hear about him off the field, the more I cringe. I just can't wait for the season to start. The off-season is not friendly to him, dude needs structure.

Im really disgusted by this. I am sick and tired of this paternalistic nonsense with athletes. They are not children, let them live their lives.

And if the Cowboys are really concerned with Dez, get him real help on a human level. Not on a "dont do this and that" level.

Don't worry. The NFLPA will never let this stand. They're not going to allow teams to dictate what players do in their personal lives.

Situations like this is what makes me sour on pro sports a little bit more each passing year. No one is telling Dez he has to be an angel off the field, but if you are the GM/Owner of a team and you honestly feel you need to go to these measures to keep a player from hurting the team then it really puts the "win by any means necessary" phrase into perspective.

Some guys, no matter how much raw talent they have just don't deserve the opportunity in front of their face. Dez is too young still probably to completely give up on for Dallas, but the fact that Jerry Jones thinks this kind of thing is classy or reasonable merely because the guy can score TDs on the field, is a little sickening.

Archived