Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Peyton Manning medically cleared to resume NFL career (multi-merged---see the latest Manning rumors/"me too" articles here)

mzkp54

I dont understand why everyone is so sold on RGIII and does not want Payton. If we get RGIII we are gonna lose out on alot of potential future players because what we will have to trade to get him. If we get Payton we can draft the third best QB on the board by trading down and in the process pick up some picks. Payton can mentor teh QB we get over the next 2 or 3 years. It would be just like Farve and Rodgers. If my memory serves me right Rodgers was the 16th pick. About the same location we would get the third best QB in this draft. Bring Payton to DC!!!!

peyton an wayne are going to arizona to team up with fitz, breaston, beanie an williams. Why wld he cme here when he could choose for himself, once released, to go to arizona?

FYI Breaston is in KC.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2012 at 06:54 PM ----------

Medically cleared to play means he can go out on the field, not that he can play at his previous level. As I said in another thread, his arm isn't there yet, this just means he can take a hit.

Big deal, Rex can take a hit too.

What I took from the article and the TV reports is that Manning's neck is considered stable enough for him to be medically cleared. What isn't clear is what level of arm strength he has, to what degree the nerves are functioning. That sounds like it's the bigger hurdle right now, and until it's proven that he can throw with the same velocity as before the multiple surgeries, buyer beware.

I don't think Manning would want to come here. Guy has all the money he wants, esp when you factor endorsements. He'll go to a team that has the best chance of winning a Super Bowl. With our mediocre OL and WRs I highly doubt he'd want to come here.

Sign manning

Pull a last year and trade back to get an extra second

Drat Tannahill in the mid-late first

If possible, trade back our early 2nd to pick up an extra 3rd

Use the two 2nds and two 3rds to attempt and fill some needs like CB, Safety, O-line, WR, or Fletcher's eventual replacement

You fill a few needs rather than trading away the draft. You get your QB of the future with someone who can occupy it a few years while he learns.

The nerve still hasn't regenerated.

Funny how this came out now when he's due that 28 mil next month.

Great way to over shine the SB too.

i'm not sure the timing really helps manning too much. as you mentioned, the nerve is still the major issue and the colts are not going to pay him before that happens. are you saying you believe he intentionally leaked this today for some strategic reason?

I was reading the article, the docs put a tentative date of full regeneration at the anniversary of it (mid-May).

They might re-sign him if it's that early.

I was reading the article, the docs put a tentative date of full regeneration at the anniversary of it (mid-May).

They might re-sign him if it's that early.

i am not so sure...i think the colts are looking for any excuse to move on. having manning be injured at age 36 during the same offseason they have a shot at luck is far too fortunate a scenario to not take advantage of. they can easily say that they did not trust the arm strength and could not bring themselves to pay the guy 40+ million (bonus and salary) for one season.

From what I've been reading being cleared to play does not mean the same as being effective like he once was. The nerve damage has caused weakness in his throwing arm. It could be perfectly safe for him to play, but it may not be the same ole Manning. Guess next comes the throwing tests. I still think its a long shot Indy pays him that bonus.

This. Being medically cleared to play just means the fusion took hold, and he's in no danger of agravating his injury. He can take all the hits, but he still can't throw the ball.

also Mortenson is very close to the Manning family.

it was funny seeing how BSPN covered it, making it seem like Manning is back, while NFL Network were saying that the nerve hasnt regenerated.

I don't think Manning would want to come here. Guy has all the money he wants, esp when you factor endorsements. He'll go to a team that has the best chance of winning a Super Bowl. With our mediocre OL and WRs I highly doubt he'd want to come here.

I feel this argument is spot on. If healthy, Manning has at best 4-5 years of football left in him, and I'm sure he's not interested in spending those years on a rebuilding team. If released, he's going to want to go somewhere that's ready to make a Super Bowl run now with the only missing puzzle piece being that of a QB. I'm thinking Chiefs, Dolphins, 49ers, or Cardinals. Other QB needy teams like the Jets and Seahawks have too inept of coaching for it to work. I think Peyton would consider other teams before the Redskins.

Archived