Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

3 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

in MMA news, Matt Hughes' truck hit a train and he's apparently in bad shape in the hospital

I know he was thought of as a prick to a few people, but dude was an animal.  The skillsets we see now are so much more advanced, but you noobier fellows have to put yourself back in that time.  He was a beast wrestler, strong as an ox, had subs, All-American military dude.  Quite a famous fighter for the day, especially in the United States.  GSP used him as the main springboard to World stardom.  Hope he's okay, sounds really bad. 

-------------------------------------------------

See that Holm is trying to break a 3 fight losing streak against Corriera tomorrow night.  If she doesn't win that fight, I'll be shocked.

Conor vs. Mayweather?  Okay.  With the way Conor has been all over the place, this seems like a natural step.  Next, he'll build a small naval fleet and declare war on the United States.  Then, he'll befriend Emperor Palpatine and go for the Galaxy.

Then he'll defend his Lightweight title.

Against Nate Diaz.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19671777/aaron-pico-next-mma-superstar

Bellator MMA is offering just its second pay-per-view event in history on Saturday -- and it all starts with the professional debut of a highly touted prospect named Aaron Pico.

Pico is a wrestling phenom out of Los Angeles who narrowly missed making the 2016 U.S. Olympic wrestling team at age 20. He's been signed to Bellator since November 2014, under a special developmental contract.

There are many pitfalls in the sport of mixed martial arts, and no prospect is ever a guarantee -- but it's safe to say that keen observers will be watching Pico very closely when he takes on lightweight Zach Freeman this weekend at Madison Square Garden.

"This is the No. 1 prospect in the history of MMA," said Chael Sonnen, who will headline Bellator: NYC opposite Wanderlei Silva. "I have never seen a guy come in more coveted, more praise around him, more pressure put on him and more anticipation than Aaron Pico. I truly believe not only will he take over the division, he will become the face of the company and the face of the industry."

Super exciting prospect... big ESPN article... submitted in 24 seconds by a fighter you've never heard of (Zach Freeman) just now on Bellator.  :ols:

• Like 1

On 6/24/2017 at 11:08 PM, Destino said:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19671777/aaron-pico-next-mma-superstar

Super exciting prospect... big ESPN article... submitted in 24 seconds by a fighter you've never heard of (Zach Freeman) just now on Bellator.  :ols:

This James Gallagher, who fought on the same card as Pico, and is also just 20 years old just like Pico, looks like a much better prospect.

Already at 20 years old, he's 7-0 as a pro, with 6 by submission, and 4-0 in Bellator. And just submitted a Machida, who's twice his age.

8 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

UFC being amateurish again.

It's getting to the point where we need a spinoff of another thread here, and call it "Some more Refs that need to be fired"

Ahhhhh.  

There is justice in the UFC after all. 

Woodley vs. Maia UFC 214 July 29

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/6/28/15890972/ufc-214-tyron-woodley-vs-demian-maia-title-mma-news

in other news, Cowboy Cerrone is injured, out of his fight with Lawler at 213 next weekend. I think that's the 2nd time in Cowboy's 675 UFC fights he's pulled out due to injury. 213 can't catch a break. 

Edited by artmonkforHOF

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2017 at 7:34 AM, StillUnknown said:

214 is shaping up to be one of the more stacked cards in recent memory

213 tomorrow is going to be really good too.

I'm mainly interested in Whittaker and Romero.

Whittaker is really under-rated. Maybe it's mostly casual fans under-rate him because he doesn't come across nearly as intimidating or imposing, in appearance or attitude.

But he is quietly just as dangerous a man as Romero.

I feel like, before every fight of his, that I say he's going to surprise a lot of people, and then he always proceeds to do so.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

i'm not sure there's a fighter more dangerous than Romero

he has to show his age at some point right? Not alot of MMA fights, but a lifetime of wrestling has to show in his performances eventually. Whittaker probably has the edge on the feet, but its a small gap. Romero just a different kind of guy, power to kill in one shot, and the wrestling to make your life hell.

Has anyone watched this season of Ultimate Fighter?  It's the first one in a long time I've watched all the way through.  Cody Garbrandt might be the dumbest coach I've ever watched, and that neck tat isn't helping.  Also, I had never heard of Julian "Let me Bang" Lane before but that video clip is hilarious.

Glad Jesse Taylor made it to the finals.  His season was one of the ones I actually watched previously and I always thought he was really good, even though he pissed away his first opportunity.

9 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

he has to show his age at some point right?

Yea, I think you said something about his short MMA career, and thereby the lack of punishment he's taken, has something to do with being in such great shape at 40.

But Whittaker may just be the man to do it, in the UFC, to become the first man to land that punishment on him.

I think he may have to utilize his head-kicks, to have the best chance at winning. Those have been very effective for him, and they would also keep him at a safe distance from Romero's killer shots.

5 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I don't think she knows another way. 

Well to be honest, Amanda's last two fights were against one fighter who had one foot out of the fighting game for awhile and didn't look mentally into it from the start, and then the other was against an opponent who had over a year layoff not to mention zero stand up.

I am not saying Nunes is going to reinvent herself for this fight, but I also think if she comes in "guns blazing" in this fight it's possible she doesn't get the same results.