Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

15 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I guess my take away and solace is that its not just you or me or that kid in the article. My daughters 6 so Im just starting this birthday thing. 2 down, both successful, but close.

I teach my daughter to grab the hair with left hand and hammer fist the face with her right hand. I have instilled in her that any girl fight is won or lost by who controls the hair. Control the hair, control the head, control the fight.

boys .. throw the first punch and drive your fist through the face with the target the back of the skull, not the nose.

Our daughter has been taking Taekwondo for a couple of years now.  My talk with her was very simple.  Try to avoid fighting, tell them to stop, try to go defensive first.  If they don't listen, retaliate.  They hit you, hit em back harder.  They shove you, knock them on their ass.  Never take **** from them and get pushed around because you are scared you will get into trouble.

Told her that as long as she was the one not starting anything, she would never get punished by us for defending herself and not to worry about the teachers/school, that I would handle it.  

3 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Too bad that 300 was a popular film. The world has had to endure far too many Gerard Butler movies.

Honestly I agree with this. He's milked that long enough. I liked Den of Thieves though, despite the ending 

300 will go down in pop culture lore though

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

"Let's try control the weather, what could go wrong?"

It was like some mashup of Day after Tomorrow, a cheap thrill conspiracy movie, and like James Bond or some ****. Weirdest movie ever.

Would be awesome though, to weaponize  weather. Kill Jared Kushner with some sunshine (I swear dude is like a Vampire lieutenant colonel)....ok no more politics, had to get that one in.

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

It was like some mashup of Day after Tomorrow, a cheap thrill conspiracy movie, and like James Bond or some ****. Weirdest movie ever.

Would be awesome though, to weaponize  weather. Kill Jared Kushner with some sunshine (I swear dude is like a Vampire lieutenant colonel)....ok no more politics, had to get that one in.

The British during African colonization reportedly were devising a plan to turn the Sahara back into arriable land.  There used to be lakes in the desert and much more green when the Egyptians first started out. It's a good thing they didn't, so much of that dust blows over the Atlantic and helps give nutrients to the Amazon.  They would've destroyed one paradise just to make a new one.  For every action there's a reaction when dealing with something like a planet.

I hate debating with my siblings, one is too cynical and the other too skeptical.  They always think its a draw despite me being the only one showing hyperlinks. Just because one piece of good news doesn't save the universe doesn't mean it's not good news.  If 98% of the scientific community agrees with something, agreeing with the 2% doesn't make you skeptical, it makes your wrong.

36 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Skepticism is healthy.  But you gotta balance it with, you know, actually following through and looking into the claims and the evidence supporting it.  If you can't do that, then shut up, because your skepticism is valueless if you can't be bothered to do the research.

It's unnerving, like all the sudden any source that's too popular has a motive or biased.  Like the ones that aren't don't?

How do you find middle ground when you can't agree on which sources are legit or facts are true? I've lost count the number of posts I've deleted before posting because researching my point i was trying to make i realized i was wrong.  Everyone has Google in their pocket no, there's just no excuse anymore in 2018.

One of them had the nerve to say there isn't enough lithium for everyone two have electric cars, it take to seconds to verify a bombshell claim like that.  I am sick and tired of people being sure of something they aren't sure of.  This binary ultimatum outlook on everything has completely gotten out of control.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's unnerving, like all the sudden any source that's too popular has a motive or biased.  Like the ones that aren't don't?

I know the pain.  My dad is a smart person, but show him anything that proves global warming is man-made, and he'll discredit the source as being unreliable.  If it's a climate scientist, it's a conflict of interest and of course they'd say that because it keeps them employed (never mind that these are smart people who could have and still could go into other fields), or they aren't climate scientists, so what would they know?  A nice built-in defense mechanism to not even have to consider the evidence and just go with your confirmation bias.

12 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

A nice built-in defense mechanism to not even have to consider the evidence and just go with your confirmation bias.

When even Exxon is supporting cap and trade, it's time to update the echo chamber talking points list.  I don't want to speak for your dad or make this political, so I'll just stick to the overarching realization that some people would rather be right then figure out how to address the problem.

Or worse they've given up hope that many of these situations we face as a species is resolvable so we're reduced to arguing about whether its really a problem or who's fault it is, not how to fix it.  We're better then this, i wholeheartedly believe that, going down swinging.

Archived