Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

image.png.8436fb7fb3550d29ef2156964408d3ee.png

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/heartbreaking-story-behind-6-year-olds-lonesome-birthday-party-photo-115147017.html

Weve all seen these stories. No one shows up for a lil kids birthday party. This must be some kind of new social phenomenon. Read the comments to the article, parent after parent said one time they were the only ones that showed up.

I have a 6 year old and the school rules is invite everyone or invite off school grounds. So you invite the entire class (really 20 kids or less), have to book for 20 kids .... and then you prepare for maybe 4-8 kids showing up. Are the kids taking the invites back to parents? I know my kid has a lot of friends at school, when I pick her up she plays on the playground with everyone etc .... .

Its not the kids. Its the parents. Idk why. I guess at that age the parents know they will have to tag along and do awkward small talk with other parents? Are the parents afraid of being judged by other parents?

I dont really get it.  

Key is to have family with similar age kids. Guaranteed attendance. We are lucky in that regard.

Im just amazed at all the comments saying the same thing. We all want our kid to be happy and for kids to show up at our kid's birthday party .... so why do we not show up to other kids?

5 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

So sad. Fortunately, my kids have not experienced that. Will keep it in mind though. We have not attended some parties we are invited to—mainly due to prior commitments which are mostly sports which fall on the same time frames as these parties (Sat/Sun afternoons). Not a problem for us, thankfully, but there's also pressure to bring a gift. $20 won't put most families out, but you never know. Sometimes, the gift openings feel like some sort of arm's race. 

But I feel like, with our invites, we usually have to RSVP by a certain date. where it fails—maybe—is that there's no reminder after the invite. We have a digital family calendar, so as soon as we RSVP to attend it goes into the calendar. 

^^ You have my favorite ES avatar. The interpretation that any US citizen with a gun is a "well regulated militia" just blows my mind.

--------------------------------------

image.thumb.png.64b43d5f71c1e90259cd0f2cf8cd1331.png

^^ apparently this guy is a rapper. Idk, I guess. Colorful lime green Old navy sweater and a snake thing attached to the side of your head. is this cool? really? At 40, this makes me feel like Im 80.

Anyway for the random part .. this guy spent months practicing to do a stunt for music video where he walks out onto a plane wing while way up high in the air. Apparently he walked to far out, caused the small plane to tip and he hung on for a bit but then plunged to his death.

Rest in Peace young man.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/canadian-rapper-dies-in-airplane-stunt-gone-wrong

My parents had the phone numbers of all of my friends parents when I was a kid. Always had folks come to the parties and if they couldn't, we knew they couldn't. 

Let's not forget...because of how socially awkward many folks have become these days, just because you know someone, does not make them a friend. 

3 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

My parents had the phone numbers of all of my friends parents when I was a kid. Always had folks come to the parties and if they couldn't, we knew they couldn't. 

Let's not forget...because of how socially awkward many folks have become these days, just because you know someone, does not make them a friend. 

People dont do face to face nearly as much.

A certain house tends to roll down their windows and blare rap music. We had cops down at the end of the street for one disturbance (unrelated to the music). I was talking with some neighbors and they sd they should say something to the cops about the music. I said no, IIl go knock on their door. neighbors were stunned. Someone had the balls to do something directly and not avoid confrontation? Had a good talk w my daughter about it. As i talked with her I kinda realized, maybe face to face confrontation isnt the best idea. What if they have a protective dog and it charges past the door? They pull a knife or gun? Nobody likes be told what to do. I get it.

They closed their windows (after I walked around back bc they wouldnt come to the door), life moved on.

Life is complicated. Applying 1980's logic to 2018 just doesnt seem to make sense anymore.

40 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/heartbreaking-story-behind-6-year-olds-lonesome-birthday-party-photo-115147017.html

Weve all seen these stories. No one shows up for a lil kids birthday party. This must be some kind of new social phenomenon. Read the comments to the article, parent after parent said one time they were the only ones that showed up.

I have a 6 year old and the school rules is invite everyone or invite off school grounds. So you invite the entire class (really 20 kids or less), have to book for 20 kids .... and then you prepare for maybe 4-8 kids showing up. Are the kids taking the invites back to parents? I know my kid has a lot of friends at school, when I pick her up she plays on the playground with everyone etc .... .

Its not the kids. Its the parents. Idk why. I guess at that age the parents know they will have to tag along and do awkward small talk with other parents? Are the parents afraid of being judged by other parents?

I dont really get it.  

Key is to have family with similar age kids. Guaranteed attendance. We are lucky in that regard.

Im just amazed at all the comments saying the same thing. We all want our kid to be happy and for kids to show up at our kid's birthday party .... so why do we not show up to other kids?

Stuff like this breaks my heart.  Our daughter is 10 years old and while she has had friends attend all of her birthday parties, sometimes it was a really small number of kids.  And sometimes that was by design from us and other times just who showed up.  

This past year, she had a good handful of kids in her class that were mean to her or tried to bully her (which I gave her full permission to defend herself as long as she wasn't the aggressor and start **** first), so she didn't want them there, so we couldn't invite the entire class.  Also the timing of everything sucked because while she was born beginning of March, there were weekends in between that family couldn't make it so it forced us to have it on Saturday, March 31st which was the day before Easter Sunday.

We warned her that people may be out of town or have family coming in and not be able to make it.  Sure enough, only one kid from her school, who is a grade below her came.  Luckily, in our circle of friends, two families have two kids with the oldest a year younger and the other has a granddaughter a year younger and they all made it to the party, so we had a total of 7 kids (counting Tazette).  

I'm just glad she's at the age where we can kinda just be done with the birthday parties and start letting her have a couple of friends over for a sleepover.  But that's a whole other animal.  Just talking to some other parents, a lot of them are hesitant to do a sleepover because they don't really know the kids parents.  One of her good friends, both parents are teachers, and their oldest has been in classes with Tazette probably 3 years from grade to grade, which in a big school is a lot.  

She also was at gymnastic camp in the summer with her one year.  My wife used to talk to the mom a lot via texting or facebook.  But I completely get the not really knowing people good enough to allow your child to stay at their house.  **** is scary now.  

1 minute ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

My nieces and nephews are social butterflies. They have enough self confidence I can tell them they don’t have friends and then they make fun of my mom which makes no sense. They make me laugh. 

Nor does your post really. 

Can you explain this better ? 

Just now, Kosher Ham said:

Nor does your post really. 

Can you explain this better ? 

I speak partial Ankleese...........I think he means that when he tells them they have no friends, they don't get butt hurt and cry/mope, they just simply don't care and ignore him and start making fun of others.  

13 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Stuff like this breaks my heart.  Our daughter is 10 years old and while she has had friends attend all of her birthday parties, sometimes it was a really small number of kids.  And sometimes that was by design from us and other times just who showed up.  

I guess my take away and solace is that its not just you or me or that kid in the article. My daughters 6 so Im just starting this birthday thing. 2 down, both successful, but close.

I teach my daughter to grab the hair with left hand and hammer fist the face with her right hand. I have instilled in her that any girl fight is won or lost by who controls the hair. Control the hair, control the head, control the fight.

boys .. throw the first punch and drive your fist through the face with the target the back of the skull, not the nose.

1 minute ago, Kosher Ham said:

One spliff will change everything. 

Yes indeedy.  Roll up, kosh.  Let's get Doc high and dare him to do 1,000 squats in 5 minutes. 

17 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Xiao Jiji

Kevin-Hart-Takes-Big-Words-As-Disrespect

1 hour ago, Kosher Ham said:

Did opposite of my sister because her friends were always around and she dominated the house phone.  I got my own cell paid myself soon as i could and never brought them around.  I moved too much as a kid to have close friends.  It wasn't until last year of high school i got friends that years later we found each other on Facebook.  Learned hard lessons that last year, just cause skipping school together or having sex doesn't make us close friends, trust is underrated and takes time to earn.  Time you don't understand forget enough of in two years at one school 

One of the biggest flaws of Facebook is saying everyone you add i a friend.  I dont care how popular you are, nobody has 1700+ "friends". FB should allow segmentation for followers and friends with different permissions concerning what they see from you

9 minutes ago, Chew said:

Yes indeedy.  Roll up, kosh.  Let's get Doc high and dare him to do 1,000 squats in 5 minutes. 

Think gives him anxiety attacks and thats why he doesn't smoke, not for everyone

Archived