Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pope Benedict resigning Feb. 28, voting underway

ixcuincle

What are the odds they try to modernize and pick a hip young pope

Someone in his 20's or 30's who is adept with modern technology

They already got the Pope a twitter account so they do seem to be delving into the modern technology, but will they be willing to have a younger leader take over? Or will it just be another old white guy?

What are the odds they try to modernize and pick a hip young pope

Someone in his 20's or 30's who is adept with modern technology

They already got the Pope a twitter account so they do seem to be delving into the modern technology, but will they be willing to have a younger leader take over? Or will it just be another old white guy?

They could at least pick an old black guy. Or an old hispanic guy.

The first Pope to resign since the year 1415.

Most likely didn't want to end up going out like John Paul II, who looked liked he had died five years before he actually did.

Thanks, I couldn't recall any that resigned in a long while

I'm going with the longshot of a black female laywoman

Cardinal Martini was well respected, and I believe he was the one that stated the Catholic Church was 200 years behind.

I wish I could remember the guys name...but the Cardinal from Ghana (I will look it up (Cardinal Peter something or other), would be a likely choice for a black Pope...but...his take on using condoms is simply mind-numbing.

EDIT: Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana.

Is that a Dante reference?

Celestine V was a hermit elected to the papacy as a compromise candidate who didn't want the office. He issued a papal bull giving Popes the right to abdicate, which he did shortly thereafter. Rumors soon surfaced that his successor Boniface had forced Celestine (who was popular among commoners but hated by the cardinals) out. Firghtened of being deposed, Boniface had Celestine arrested and depending on whom one believes either let him rot in prison or had him murdered there.

The alternative is ****-numbing.

Haha. Fair enough.

BTW- Thanks for pointing out my typo...another edit. haha.

Society dictates many things whether we like it or not. I don't wan't to make this a religious point either. I am just stating that even the best parents children are pressured into doing those things at a young age. Better to be safe than sorry.

PM me if you want the un-cut version.

The last thing I expected to read today. John Paul II was a hard act to follow, and while they were both dyed in the wool, conservative Catholics; Benedict won't get the same wide reaching admiration and respect his predecessor received, and probably rightfully so.

According to the NY Times Article, it seems that the three front runners are from Milan, Vienna and Quebec.

Archived