Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which feeling is worst? Losing like the 49ers in Superbowl 47 or the Bills in Superbowl 25?

SkinsHokieFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Try and imagine last night was the first time the Redskins were in the Superbowl. Never been there, never had won one.

Which feeling would have kept you out of work for days?

1) Missing a 47 yard FG as time expired which would give you the win like the Bills?

2) Failing on 4 chances to get 5 yards and the go ahead touchdown due in part to terrible play calling inside the 5 and a suspicious no call on the 4th down pass with 1:46 left in the game?

I think #2 is worse.

The Bills frantically got into FG range and their kicker missed a pretty long FG attempt. I realize it has to kill them that a few inches to the left wins them a title, but it's still not a slam dunk to hit a 47-yard FG.

The 49ers got a first-and-goal at the 7 with over 2 minutes to go. They had 4 plays to work with and, in my opinion, wasted 3 of them before they even snapped the ball. The first down hand-off to their back up RB was horrible. On second down, they roll out to the right which cuts off half the field and rarely works unless it's a VERY quick-hitting roll out. The third down play seemed fine except for the decision the QB made to throw it short of the goal line there (but still, not on the coaches). And finally on fourth down they don't even have a hot read or anything that could keep the play alive longer than a second or two.

Ironically, the one play that they didn't get off was the only running play I would have called - the QB keeper. I think CK would have scored and was calling for that on first and second down.

I think #2 is worse.

The Bills frantically got into FG range and their kicker missed a pretty long FG attempt. I realize it has to kill them that a few inches to the left wins them a title, but it's still not a slam dunk to hit a 47-yard FG.

The 49ers got a first-and-goal at the 7 with over 2 minutes to go. They had 4 plays to work with and, in my opinion, wasted 3 of them before they even snapped the ball. The first down hand-off to their back up RB was horrible. On second down, they roll out to the right which cuts off half the field and rarely works unless it's a VERY quick-hitting roll out. The third down play seemed fine except for the decision the QB made to throw it short of the goal line there (but still, not on the coaches). And finally on fourth down they don't even have a hot read or anything that could keep the play alive longer than a second or two.

Ironically, the one play that they didn't get off was the only running play I would have called - the QB keeper. I think CK would have scored and was calling for that on first and second down.

I would have called some sort of goaline Read Option or QB draw all 4 plays if it took that many.

Considering how good Jim Harbaugh typically is at the little nuances of football, I would be nauseous as a 49er fan right now. It's not like he is Andy Reid, who you expect to trip over his own....thing....in these moments. But the fact that they have only 2 time outs at 2:30 is bad enough. The that they let 30 seconds just vanish is insane. The fact that they ran two plays that are completely out of their wheelhouse is insane. The fact that they had to blow a timeout to stop a delay of game penalty is insane.

In retrospect, they could have run 4 passes to Vernon Davis (who the Ravens had no chance of covering all game) and maybe, given the ball back possibly on the strong side of the two-minute warning with two timeouts in their pocket.

I understand the idea of not wanting to give the ball to Baltimore with time on the clock if you get the lead, but you need to get the lead first. And you don't want this to be your last chance to get the lead.

Harbaugh played that entire sequence like he needed a field goal instead of a TD. And that is so out of character for him. If I were a 49er fan, I would be wondering, "Why did he choose that moment to get stupid?"

Missed FG, missed FG, and the missed FG

At least the Niners have 5 Lombardi trophies.

I am trying to put you in the shoes of having no Lombardi's, I.E being the Bills in 1990.

I have gone back and forth on this for an hour. What Harbaugh did was stupid, silly and would drive me nuts.

But the finality of the missed FG. The last play of the game. Victory or defeat right there.

I still haven't figured this one out

It's also worse for the Niners because of their amazing comeback. They were totally counted out before the blackout, and they were right on the cusp of one of the greatest comebacks in NFL history. They choked, plain and simple. The experience of the Ravens won the game. To come that far back and still lose, especially when it was RIGHT THERE for you, must be gut wrenching and will be for a long time.

At least with the Bills / Giants, it was a tight game the whole way through. But man, not being able to score there at the end and throw in that no-call ... it would suck to be a Niner fan today.

Guess RG3 is going to have to be the first read/option QB to win a SB.

I think #2 is way worse....

At least with the kick you can point to ONE reason, or 1-2 reasons why the kick failed. (bad snap, or kicker sucks)

But with #2 you can look at a whole host of different reasons and each one has potential to drive a fan base nuts. (refs, play calls, the QB, the clock.... )

A nfl kicker should be making a 47 yarder in his sleep...especially in a mild environment.

Not as much so back then (can't believe that was 22 years ago). Kickers have steadily become more reliable from further back over the years. Still, it's easily got to be this. If we can't punch it in from the 5 you feel like you gave it your all but just got beat that day. When you fight a tough game and put it in you're idiot kicker's hands and he misses.....that's a special kind of dagger. A ****ing idiot kicker blew the game? That's tough.

Did they even think of a jump ball to Moss in the corner? I'd much rather be the Bills than fail like SF last night.

This! I couldn't believe that kap refused to throw it to one of the best jump ball receivers in the game. Absolutely ridiculous.

Every time a team is kept out of the endzone, at the end of a game, even with 4 downs, people act like it wasn't supposed to happen. Like there isn't such a thing as a goal line stand. It's always one of two things: either there was a 'non call' or the team 'should have run or passed' (whichever they didn't do). Particularly at the end of the game. Regular season goal line stands in the 2nd quarter are called a result of great defense.

I also heard some stat that Kaepernick was 1 for 7 throwing into the endzone or something like that. And besides, it's always tougher in the red zone. Missed field goal? Well if the game was that close then people often point to something else in the game that could have been done.

But all things considered, which is worse for the fan, getting your hopes up with the 49ers rallying, and after that Frank Gore run, I would have gone absolutely crazy and been ****ing devastated when they couldn't score.

One is an individual's failure, the other falls on the entire offense choking when it counts.

#2 is more embarrassing for the team.

Look at it this way: it's four plays to make something happen vs. one play. You should be able to move 5 yards in 4 plays.

I think the Bills is worse, because (and I was 5 at the time so I don't really know)....but they seemed to go blow for blow with the Giants and came up just short.

If I'm a 49ers fan today, I'm obviously upset, with the "no call" and the way they lost....but bottom line, they got themselves down by 22 points, they gave up a freaking kick return for a TD... they kept shooting themselves in the foot. It was much more than just that last drive, where the Bills, it really was that last drive.

Just my 2 cents.

Its also tough to look at it independently from what happened to the Bills afterward. Even though both teams in XXV were solid, the Bills were 7 point favorites, which is pretty substantial for a Super Bowl. They got up 9 in the first half and looked like they were going to dominate the Giants, but NY clawed its way back. I don't give as much grief to Norwood as many do......47 yards is far from a gimme. However, the fact that the Bills proceeded to get blown out in the next three seasons in the Big Game......at least if they had won at least that first one against NY......

The Niners really dominated the second half but dug themselves too big a hole. I agree with LKB that having to take that timeout to avoid the delay of game was horrible. If they don't take the timeout and pass the ball after that (assuming incompletions or passes to the sidelines), even if they don't get a TD, they turn the ball over on downs, but if they could stop Baltimore back there deep, they could potentially get the ball with around 45 seconds left near midfield. Not great, but better than where they ended up without the timeout.

The question is, in the above circumstance, how would John H have played it? Would he have run the ball three straight times to chew clock, or would he have tried a pass on 3rd down if it came to that, possibly risking an incompletion. I will say that if SF had taken the lead on that drive, I had no confidence in SF's defense to prevent Baltimore from driving the ball down the field and kicking either a GTFG or GWFG (depending if SF would have made the 2-pt conversion).

Archived