Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two plays that swung the game...

Skins&Terps07

As far as the result of the actual game itself, 2 plays changed the momentum and course of this game early when we could have really gotten some distance.

In the last Seattle playoff game, it was the Cooley drop and the Suisham miss. Those plays were very late in the game, however.

Here, the tide turned considerably in the 2nd quarter.

1) The 3rd and 12 we let them convert on the dump off to the TE.

2) The fumble up 14-3 that somehow led to a 20+ yard gain for Seattle.

It's been mentioned in the Hankerson thread, but his drop on a third down pass later in the game while we were still up would have given us a good chunk of yards and a first down. I thought that was a pretty substantial play too. Bottom line though, you can always play this game. We lost and I hate the Seahawks more than ever. As big as the rivalry is within our division, I think I actually "hate" the Seahawks as much as anyone. Respect for Wilson and Lynch, I loathe the entire rest of their team, specifically the defensive players.

The fumble doesn't bother me as much. Just one of those fluky plays. Hell we had two fumbles this season that we lost on offense that we recovered for TDs. That was bound to swing against us at some point.

But the Wilson missed tackle...ugh. He makes that stop and we get the ball back with great field position up 14-0.

A question on that 3rd & 12....we never really got a good look of a replay on that one, but I could have sworn that it look awfully close to being a trap and not a catch. That throw was so low, and it looked like Zach Miller got his hands on top of the ball and trapped it, but scooped it up really fast and ran. They started to show a replay, but the hands/ball were not in the replay shot and it was cut short due to the Seahawks running the next play.

Also, lets not forget the Reed would-be INT that was in his hands. That takes points off the board.

The defense played pretty solid for what it's worth, they held onto the 14-13 lead for the majority of the 2nd half, and it was really the mess on the other side of the ball that ultimately caused the loss.

I think it is also a huge coincidence that we have not yet faced them with a healthy QB.

2005 - Brunell was basically a cripple after being beaten up by Tampa, his knee was hurt and he couldn't throw downfield

2007 - Todd Collins the backup QB was being relied up.

2012 - RGIII goes into the game already not 100% and then injuries himself to the point of being non-effective in the 1st quarter.

It's been mentioned in the Hankerson thread, but his drop on a third down pass later in the game while we were still up would have given us a good chunk of yards and a first down. I thought that was a pretty substantial play too. Bottom line though, you can always play this game. We lost and I hate the Seahawks more than ever. As big as the rivalry is within our division, I think I actually "hate" the Seahawks as much as anyone. Respect for Wilson and Lynch, I loathe the entire rest of their team, specifically the defensive players.

Amen. That Hank drop KILLED us.

And amen to your comments about Seattle. I worked for NC State's newspaper--Russell Wilson is the classiest guy you'll ever meet, and he's stuck on a team of degenerate goons. It really sucks. I lost a ton of respect for Seattle on Sunday. Sherman and Browner could end up in the hospital with career-ending injuries and I wouldn't have the least bit of sympathy. In fact, I'd probably cheer if I were at a game and one of those guys got hurt.

I will never root for that team as long as Pete Carroll is their coach. Didn't have an ounce of respect for him at USC, now I have even less respect for him in Seattle.

One of the plays that swung the game in my mind (other than the ones already mentioned) was the attempted long pass to Garcon on the third possession of the game (at least I remember it as the third possession -- please correct if I'm wrong). It was a "kill-shot" play call that would have had us up 21-0, but Griffin was just a split second from releasing and ended up fumbling recovered by Chester I think. The replay showed that Garcon was ten yards clear of the CB (Browner?) and that Griffin was under just enough pressure that he couldn't get the pass off. That would have been huge. I remember thinking, just hand the ball off to Morris, but I guess you can't entirely fault Kyle for being aggressive at that particular juncture.

The Hankerson drop in the fourth was huge. If he catches that I think we wind up scoring. I think the trip that wasn't called was pretty big too. Morris had a lot of day light in front of him.

Quite a few big plays on defense where we just missed and third and forever got converted.

As far as the result of the actual game itself, 2 plays changed the momentum and course of this game early when we could have really gotten some distance.

In the last Seattle playoff game, it was the Cooley drop and the Suisham miss. Those plays were very late in the game, however.

Here, the tide turned considerably in the 2nd quarter.

1) The 3rd and 12 we let them convert on the dump off to the TE.

2) The fumble up 14-3 that somehow led to a 20+ yard gain for Seattle.

Yep, that 3 & 12 was courtesy of one Josh ( I just suck) Wilson. Looked like he was diving into a pool and not trying to make a tackle. Man I just hope he's GONE next year. He's really really hurt us through the year. So many bad & costly mistakes.

RG3 re-injuring the knee was obviously the killer. The TD he scored right afterward was nice but was the only thing keeping us going at that point. Whether we'd stopped them on 3rd and 12 or not, it's obvious that the offense was doing nothing after the injury.

Big credit to the defense for keeping it interesting until the 4th. They played their asses off in the 3rd.

RG3 re-injuring the knee was obviously the killer. The TD he scored right afterward was nice but was the only thing keeping us going at that point. Whether we'd stopped them on 3rd and 12 or not, it's obvious that the offense was doing nothing after the injury.

Big credit to the defense for keeping it interesting until the 4th. They played their asses off in the 3rd.

This. I don't think it comes down to any one play on offense that cost us, just that we had a QB situation going on that was preventing us from getting any offense going. We make those two plays mentioned, we still lose as the defense couldn't get off the field, despite what I thought was actually a herculean effort to keep us in the game.

It is pointless 2nd guessing Shanahan about Griffin's knee injury - he had to make the call as he saw it, in the heat of battle, at the time. Hindsight is now perhaps telling him he should have pulled him. However, with us still up (I think), seeing Griffin make that 9 yard scramble on one leg, he should have been pulled, as it was hurting the team, let alone what further damage it was doing to Griffin.

I think if Cousins comes in at the end of the 1st, we win the game, but there certainly wasn't enough evidence at that point to do that. Even entering the 4th, we have a good shot at the W. But that's not how it happened, and now personally I am left with feelings of frustration that we couldn't give our best effort out there, because I think that with a healthy QB, with the way the D played, we would have won.

I'd also suggest one "play that never happened".

When the Skins went up 14-0 AND got the personal foul call - to be enforced on the KO, they got to kick off from mid-field. I looked at my dad and said "Now is perfect time to go for on-side kick".

Seattle only had two guys in the middle, and they were at least 15 yards apart. A quick kick directly up the middle, with two of the Skins gunners taking out those two hawks defenders would let Kai recover pretty easily. Even if it failed, they get ball on 40 (they got it on the 20, not a huge difference). I just think that skins ball, inside hawks 40, up 14-0, and they could have basically put the game away.

Archived