Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Josh Wilson scares me!

4d_POWER

Ok the homerism from last nights win is fading.

I don't know how many times this year I've screamed "there's Josh Wilson getting burnt again"

Last night he did force a fumble, but if u watch closely you can see he was beat bad on that play.

Also he got beat on the Jones reception and long YAC. He looked lost, then barely tried to catch up and make a tackle.

If you watch the Dhall INT, Josh didnt hit anybody on the return, he's running outside after Dhall cuts back to the inside. Is he afraid to get hit?

Almost looks like the game is being played too fast for him, like he is always a half(10)step behind, confused as to where he is supposed to be, where the defender is, and can't catch up.

I hope he can learn to "slow" the game down and begin to anticipate what is going to happen.

Didn't he get beat on the long Dez B td as well? I will withhold calling him a bum because he did get up and make the play to cause the fumble but he really seems to be the weak link in a weak 2ndary. On a positive note it is great seeing RG has got comfortable with the wideouts and that the team is finally taking shots downfield. Can't wait to see Charley Casserly(aka founding member of the A. Luck fan club) downgrade this weeks performance by Griffin.

We need 3 if not 4 starters in the defensive backfield to really get back to where we want to be and turn this defense into something special.

Hall at a push with a top shutdown guy opposite may suffice; but Wilson in an ideal World is little more than quality depth. The fact that's he's been one of the better players back there is saying VERY little given the competition.

The main objective of the next off-season has to be getting quality players back there.

Hail.

Josh Wilson is out there as often as he is because of the impact of our unexpected cap hit and the Jackson/Meriweather situations. These, and Orakpo out, are key to many of our D issues (not absolving Haslett shortcomings). A few of us have tried to remind of this at times. The factors are huge. The Tanard matter can be argued as reflecting on FO judgment.

Yet somehow we have 5 wins, and have been close in a few others. But it seems no matter our secondary, someone is scared. Be it Reed or the Carlos cushion, Jimoh, the near LB Landry masquerading as a FS, there is always a weakest link. The entire defense must be orchestrated to work together, using the players talents as best as possible. Its not a perfect science, but someone will always be the weakest link.

The other teams QB's and WR's get paid bank and all DB's take their lumps.

He had a forced fumble which offsets a TD. In general when he has been burned, he usually is close by

I think he could stand to peak back for the ball more, but for all I know, Haslet may have him fronting receivers in tight man, and not worrying about looking for the ball, when some CB's get in trouble.

Josh had perfect coverage on that last Dez Bryant TD.

As much as it pains me to say this: Romo sits to pee made an awesome pass and Dez made an awesome catch. Not even D. Green could have stopped that.

Yup. An ugly reality, and one often seeming to be missed in the world of gameday threads, is that other teams not only have pros too, but many have very talented (some even amazing) ones. They make plays too, the slimy ****s.

With Austin out and Beasley only getting underneath stuff and Dallas playing from way behind to start the 2nd half, it was all going to go through big shots to Bryant. Wilson isn't great, but he's not horrible either. His play doesn't "scare" me. I wish we had better, but recognize he's not the worst either. He was put in a situation where big plays were called up a lot due to desperation and it was up to him, and the safety help over top isn't good (though Gomes is stepping his game up and Madieu had 1 good play knocking the ball out in the endzone), so he looked much worse. He's not getting burnt every play, in fact my beef with him is he allows too much in front of him and doesn't adjust well after the catch. But we did have Dallas at just 3 after one half.

Wilson is awful. Dez had that other ball caught in the end zone as well until Madieu saved the day by knocking it out. I don't know the numbers but from where I was sitting it seemed like 3/4 of Romo sits to pee's 4 hunderd and some odd yards were against Wilson. At this point, why anyone would even bother to run against us is beyond me.

Last season, Josh Wilson was one of the best corners in the league according to Football Outsiders. That, along with how hampered we were this offseason (as Jumbo has mentioned and as has been mentioned about a billion times) is enough for me to assume his play isn't a regression, but more of a side effect of an overall weakened secondary. When teams pass as much as teams do against us because they can it's just going to make you look bad at times. We need to remind ourselves of Sean Taylor's play in 2006. Great players can have bad seasons, to little fault of their own. Football is too much a team sport.

Furthermore, Dez has been embarrassing opposing DBs the last few weeks. He's clearly on a roll. Josh Wilson was brought in to be our no. 2 CB, but he's essentially on the no. 1 WR of opposing teams every play because of that cap penalty.

Wilson is awful. Dez had that other ball caught in the end zone as well until Madieu saved the day by knocking it out. I don't know the numbers but from where I was sitting it seemed like 3/4 of Romo sits to pee's 4 hunderd and some odd yards were against Wilson. At this point, why anyone would even bother to run against us is beyond me.

Wasn't Griffin the defender on that near-TD?

Exactly. If he is not out of position, he is committing pass interference.

Granted, he got pushed off on the second TD, not called (of course) by either official staring at the play.

Cowboy WRs wearing the number 88 are allowed to push off. Check the rules dude don't be so stupid.

Threads like this make me wonder what games some posters are watching.

First it's extremely hard to grade the play of defensive backs without knowing what the coverage responsibilities on any given play are - just because a guy is the closest defender to a receiver when he makes a catch or is chasing him into the end zone does not always mean he's the guy who just got beat. Then you factor in that every corner who ever played the game gets beaten - and they get beaten much more regularly if they don't have pressure on the QB. Finally corners are very reliant on good safety play to provide support and we have had precious little of that this year.

This year our pass rush has been inconsistent at best - we even made the Dallas line of backups and scrubs look semi competent yesterday. Without pass rush and with some very average at best safety play Hall and Wilson have been exposed as would 99% of all corners in the NFL in the same circumstances. Wilson has played good football this year - he does have some technique issues he needs to work on like getting his head around to avoid those PI calls for face guarding, but he has been the most consistent player in our secondary for me this year.

Not that it means that much but Wilson is currently one of the starting corners in the All NFC East team on the ESPN NFC East blog.

Please. This topic is a stretch. Wilson has been hung out to dry by our safety play. Oh not to mention being put into position to play Man defense with no safety over the top. Add in the fact the quarterback is getting four to five seconds to throw. Hmm, am I mistaken that Dez Bryant has top 10 talent when he decides to put it all together? And we want to put it all on Wilson? Are you Kidding Me?

Archived