Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Josh Wilson scares me!

4d_POWER

I was a college DB, and I can tell you you are wrong about this play. I played on the strength of my mind as well, I'm 5'10" a weak 180 and ran a 4.5, which isn't nearly good enough for rely on talent. Wilson did play it correctly, doesn't change Bryant had position, pushed off, and the ball was delivered where only he could catch it. Wilson could never fight over the top of a push off from a guy a strong as Bryant, period.

Anyway, Wilson is average, nothing more, nothing less.

LMao Not even worth debating it. It's not even my opinion, it's a fact! Go to the tapes it's time for film study my brother.LOL smh

---------- Post added November-24th-2012 at 04:34 PM ----------

Uconn Class of 2006..My boy EB was the other corner with me,we was know as "Brothers Johnson" Because we are both from the DMV area. Edmonton Eskimos, I tore my ACL in 2010 returned back home

Well then, I guess you should've been drafted above, and be higher on an NFL teams depth chart that Wilson. It cracks me up when people automatically assume a corner should be able to cover a top flight NFL Wide Receiver who has 5+ inches and 40 lbs on them, every down, every game. He played tight coverage, but got beat off the break when Dez was interlocked with him. Its not something you can automatically say a bit of a theory class is going to fix, and the simplify it that much misses the point entirely.

Wilson has had some good plays this year, and some that he got beat on. He isn't bad, and hes definitely better than Griffin who is behind him. I'm pretty sure there are bigger issues than him on our defense. He gambled on the attempted break up on the Dez 80 yard TD, which in hindsight was a bad move but he was really close to getting his hand on that ball as well.

Are you one of the people who whined about Andre Johnson catching the TD pass over Doughty 2 years ago?

Its hard to cover receivers for longer than 4 seconds, we don't generate enough pressure making our DBs cover for 5+ seconds. If we still had some key starters on defense our secondary would not look as bad, but we don't and they have been exposed throughout the season.

Overall I think Josh has done a good job since signing with us, of course I would like to see better but not everybody is Derrelle Revis. It's the NFL and he gets to match up with the other teams best WR week in and out. Cornerback is the second hardest position in football after quarterback. It requires insane physical ability and depends on instincts to make you great.

Are you one of the people who whined about Andre Johnson catching the TD pass over Doughty 2 years ago?

No I didn't, but I love red herrings. If anything I probably would've been complaining that he should've have been put in that spot with him, because of his physical ability. Either way, not sure how its related to this thread.

I'll repeat, Romo sits to pee threw a great ball, and Dez made a great catch on a physical play. I really don't think Josh Wilson thought he'd take the play off, or forget his fundamentals during it, he was just beat by a good WR on that play. Still not sure what any of that has to do with a play in september two years ago, but enlighten me.

Wilson isn't completely awful. I have been suprised at his performance this year, he seems to have regressed from last year where I thought he was very impressive. I think DeAngelo Hall has been really good this year, in relation to everyone else on our defense of course. I thought Wilson was underrated and a good cover corner, but he seems to be not himself this year although he has had his moments.

That 85 yard TD to Bryant was more a result of our pass rushers whiffing and allowing Romo sits to pee to roll out and take his time, at the point he was about to throw the ball it was way too much time for him not to find someone, just Wilson tried to salvage it and tried to make a play. We were playing the wrong defense at the wrong time and there was some stellar blocking on the Cowboys part downfield. Wilson certainly needs to step it up this year, he has been really hurting from the lack of pressure this year.

I don't know if the stats back it up, but I've felt a lot more comfortable with the way Hall has played corner this year. He's made some key tackles against the run, gotten some turnovers and overall I feel like has done a decent job. Wilson on the other hand, I feel like I see him getting beat over and over.

I was like many on here, counting down the days till we could get rid of Hall, but now I'm not so sure. The last few weeks, I see a ton of passion and heart he's showing on that field. He's been playing hard, making a lot of big plays for us.

I think he's doing ok, not great, but ok.

The only thing I wish he would start doing is turning his head some or positioning himself better to do so. He's had many chances to get an easy pick IF he would just turn his head and sneak a peek.

Yea, he's not a world-beater, and no one should expect that from him; he needs better coaching and he will end up being a top 10 CB easily.

What scared me was the 2nd half adjustments by the defense, or lack thereof. Luckily they were so far down their running game was all but removed, and they knew we knew. The bad part with that is, they could send out 2nd and 3rd tier receivers running gassers and wear out the secondary, but it didn't work that good...

I've re-read several of the comments more carefully and agree Wilson needs to consider turning his head more often when defending against the pass. That's often the thing that sways an NFL ref as they ponder whether there was pass interference. I mean just even a slight head- tilt back even while he's still keeping his eyes on the receiver couldn't hurt, and might convince the ref.

I agree with Moondog (post # 46) about how Wilson's tackling style might lead to injury -- but maybe he has to resort to that style because he's smaller in stature, and that's his best chance at dislodging the ball.. I wonder if the coaches are working with him on that.

I also wonder some of his 'lapses' in coverage are contingent on poor safety play. If the Skins D is trying to set traps for the QB, sometimes a CB wll release a WR because there's a safety lurking near enough by -- except in the Skins case, that safety isn't reacting to the ball soon enough. (....Just saying, it's hard to always know the scheme.)

Lastly, tall receivers and tall, talented receivers are going to have an advantage over Wilson -- especially with a QB who can throw accurately.

Conclusion: Wilson isn't a premier CB, he's a serviceable CB whose quality of play depends a lot on the rest of his supporting cast. Putting him on an island, and giving an opposing WR 4-5 seconds to shake loose -- well, the results won't be that good for the Skins.

LMao Not even worth debating it. It's not even my opinion, it's a fact! Go to the tapes it's time for film study my brother.LOL smh

---------- Post added November-24th-2012 at 04:34 PM ----------

Uconn Class of 2006..My boy EB was the other corner with me,we was know as "Brothers Johnson" Because we are both from the DMV area. Edmonton Eskimos, I tore my ACL in 2010 returned back home

Hey one of my high school teammates was your QB! You guys won UConn's first bowl game. Good on you!

Archived