Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***Official 2012/2013 Winter Weather Thread***

Skins24

November now, and we've entered that time of year where for the next four months or so, the probability of seeing winter weather is greatly enhanced :)

What's in store for this winter? It's becoming increasingly...unclear. A very favorable (for winter storms) El Nino was setting up, but decided to change it's mind. Conditions in the Pacific look (right now) as they'll be neutral for the most part. Haven't checked recently, and I'll update once I do, but I think conditions in the Atlantic are still forecasted to be favorable for average or below average winter temps for the mid Atlantic.

I'm fairly confident we won't see a repeat of last year which was a total dud. Unfortunately, (I like snow) I'm also fairly confident we won't see a repeat of 2009/'10.

Near term - Models have been waffling on a little system coming through mid next week. Earlier GFS had the system riding up the coast close enough to give us rain changing to a snow. Latest one, running now, and I think most of the other models have it scooting out to sea. Likely a non event, but something to keep and eye on I guess, and a reminder to us what time of year it is :)

Right now, I don't think anyone is thinking about snow, sleet, or freezing rain. Let's have everyone recover from this all the Sandy **** and then then worry about winter weather.

As Rdskns2000 mentioned MD and WV got a bunch of snow.

Sandy dumps snow on MD with more on the way

Superstorm Sandy dumped close to 30 inches of snow in west Maryland after 24 straight hours of precipitation and counting.

Forecasters expect several more inches of snow through Wednesday.

yeah last winter SUCKED for me. senior year of highschool and i couldn't get at least 1 or 2 final snow days??? ah well, the 3 hurricane days this week in long island kinda made up for no snow days. and i gotta admit, it was pretty fun wearing shorts almost every day last winter. dont think it ever got below 40 more than 3 days last winter in VA

Yikes! So, next week's storm is back on again for the GFS and EURO. Both have classic nor'easters. With the GFS, it still a little too offshore to affect our weather (except very cold air and cloudy) but it does have it affecting NYC and the rest of New England. They don't need that.

EURO affects us all.

Both are pretty strong nor'easters, but with the EURO it's a little closer to the coast meaning more rain (changing to snow). GFS dumps heavy snow on NYC and the northeast. Which is "better?"

Yikes! So, next week's storm is back on again for the GFS and EURO. Both have classic nor'easters. With the GFS, it still a little too offshore to affect our weather (except very cold air and cloudy) but it does have it affecting NYC and the rest of New England. They don't need that.

EURO affects us all.

Both are pretty strong nor'easters, but with the EURO it's a little closer to the coast meaning more rain (changing to snow). GFS dumps heavy snow on NYC and the northeast. Which is "better?"

kgface.gif

EURO affects us all.

EURO is often acknowledged as superior. It crushed the GFS for Sandy, by a ton.

Archived