Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biggest Disappointment (All Time List)

Khun Kao

On another forum that I post to, a question was posed: "What is your NFL teams biggest disappointment all time?" This list isn't just for players/coaches/staff, but also particular games and/or plays. As a die-hard Redskins fan with MANY years of suffering under my belt, I couldn't just choose one and made a list (not in order)....

1. Dan Snyder (to be fair, he's really done much better since Shanny has been here and I hope that continues to be the trend)

2. Vinny Cerrato (I ultimately chose him as my #1 out of the list)

3. Heath Schuler

4. Norv Turner

5. Steve Spurrier

6. Desmond Howard

7. Michael Westbrook

8. Jim Zorn

9. Super Bowl XVIII

10. Adam Archuletta

Another Redskins Fan chimed in with Andre Johnson, Albert Haynesworth, and Donovan McNabb.

I was amused when a Bears fan posted "losing to the Redskins in '86 and '87"

(PS - I wanted to make this into a Poll, but I'm not seeing how to do that...)

Before my lifetime:

1.) 1940 NFL Championship (Washington came into the game with the best record in the NFL and beat the Bears early in the season)

2.) The Redskins being the last team in the NFL to integrate

3.) The Redskins one and done streak in the playoff throughout the 1970s

4.) Sonny Jurgensen not winning a title in D.C

5.) Super Bowl XVIII

6.) Going 0-3 against the Giants in 1986

In my lifetime:

1.) Brian Mitchell fumbling in the '92 playoffs

2.) Heath

3.) The 1999 Playoff game against Tampa Bay

4.) The entire 2000 season

5.) Jim Zorn

6.) McNabb

1.Sean Taylor's Death

2.Firing Marty

4.Adam Archuleta

5.2005 and 2007 Seahawks game

Since I have been watching the Redskins, I think these 5 things were the most crucial disappointments.

Honrable Mentions, B Llooyd, Malcolm Kelly's knees, 99 opening game loss to Dallas , 99 playoff loss to Tampa, taking Landry over AP (hindsight, I know)

Pretty sure this was Brian Mitchell and, yes, it was very disappointing.

It was Brian Mitchell, and this one was the first that came to my mind. I still say it was the fumble that caused Gibbs to retire.

To be fair to Brian, it was more Rypien's fault, as he never got the ball to Brian. The Skins had come back from a big deficit against the 49ers, Mitchell was gashing them, and on the play in question, there was a hole big enough to drive a Hummer through. If Ryp gets the ball to Mitch, it's TD Redskins, and off to the NFC Championship. Maybe even Superbowl #4!

1 - The old ball sack, who I feel ran our organization into the grave

2 - Haynesworth

3 - Zorn's hiring, not the man himself

4 - Vinny

5 - McNabb

6 - The "Morris dropped the ball before he crossed the plane" thread on ES

7 - Landry

8 - Brandon Lloyd

9 - Rypien's hold out in '92

10 - Booing Sexy Rexy when he took the field in preseason

Agree with the Brian Mitchell fumble, can still see it clear as day.

Can't forget about the Richie Petibon era either. Especially how it started off so well with a demolition of Dallas on opening night. The Skins then lost 9 of their next 10 games and started a downward slide that we are still trying to fully recover from...

For me, the two SB losses are huge.....our first SB appearance, and loss, allowed the fins to achieve the perfect season that we continue to hear about every year since then.

After those two losses, think the next bitter pill was actually providing the sole victory for the cowgirls during the first season of jones, johnson and aikman. Would have loved for the girls to have had a winless season.

Then I would put some of our p,ayers chosen in the draft....like shuler and desmond howard.

34-35.

Superbowl 18.

Jack Kent Cooke's will.

Week 1, 1999.

Week 15, 2006.

I would say Deion Sanders but I expected him to act like an ass and he did, so I wasn't exactly disappointed.

Thinking about the disappointments, I really have to agree with JKC's will. It's impact has been long lasting.

Archived