Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Anyone Participated in the Tough Mudder?

Rdskn4Lyf21

I came across this online the other day, and I really want to enter the one in Tampa. Here's the course map for it and a video from the Pennsylvania event:

http://toughmudder.com/events/florida/florida-tampa-2011-course-map/

Ul1yYK_z0Rc

....has anyone ever participated in this? Thoughts?

More info. on the event below:

THE TOUGH MUDDER PHILOSOPHY

Tough_Mudder_Gudkov_Facebook0028-500x333.jpg

The Tough Mudder series was created because there is not an event in America that tests toughness, fitness, strength, stamina and mental grit all in one place and all in one day. Sure, there are a few that will test these things – for thousands of dollars and a week of your life. But in one day in one location? We don’t think so. Other mud runs like the Muddy Buddy series? Forget it – unless you want to run alongside your 60-year-old grandmother. Tough Mudder is a truly exceptional event for truly exceptional people. Fair weather runners should stay at home.

FACT – Marathon running is simply boring. And the only thing more boring than doing a marathon is watching a marathon. Road-running may give you a healthy set of lungs, but will leave you with as much upper body strength as Keira Knightley. At Tough Mudder, we want to test your all-around mettle, not just your ability to run in a straight line, on your own, for hours on end, getting bored out of your mind.

Tough Mudder is also about experiencing a true sense of camaraderie that, sadly, is rarely seen outside of the military these days. To get over some of our obstacles you will need the help of others – they are simply too much for one man to tackle alone. Tough Mudders, unlike some other types of endurance runners, are team players; they help out other Tough Mudders. We want everyone to compete, but being a Tough Mudder is also about making sure no man is left behind, not worrying about your finish time.

THE TOUGH MUDDER PLEDGE

Pledge2.jpg

We think it is important that all Tough Mudders uphold the ideals and philosophy behind Tough Mudder and share a common attitude to teamwork and camaraderie. For this reason, we make all participants recite it together when they are on the start line. This is something very important to us, so if you want be a Mudder you have to accept the principles of the Mudder.

The Pledge:

As a Tough Mudder I pledge that…

* I understand that Tough Mudder is not a race but a challenge.

* I put teamwork and camaraderie before my course time.

* I do not whine – kids whine.

* I help my fellow Mudders complete the course.

* I overcome all fears.

COURSE DESIGN

Tough_Mudder_Gudkov_Facebook0113-500x333.jpg

Each event consists of a 7-12 mile trail run over uneven, hilly, and wet ground that includes 17-20 military-style obstalces. Each event is designed to be slightly different and incorporates varying features depending on local terrain.

I'm signed up for the VA one in Oct. Training is going to be, well, tough. By the way, what is your training going to consist of? What kind of shape are you currently in?

I'd say on a scale of 1 to 10 of being in shape I'm a 7.

The best shape I've ever been in, and the most athletic I've ever felt (while playing sports) was after doing P90x. The structure of it worked for me, but unfortunately I got bored. I just started working out again, and I'm incorporating the same scheduling as P90x, and a lot of the same workouts, just tweaking them some. I'm also doing PACE running and on my stationary bike. It's basically interval training and focuses on increasing lung capacity.

What's your plan?

Some of my coworkers are doing the Tahoe one (Squaw Valley) in September. I think it's better if you find a "team" to do it with.

That's what I'm hoping to do...I started asking friends this morning if they'd be interested.

This is awesome.

YErZ5GjOyas

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 11:13 AM ----------

My goal is the Tampa one, I just need to find a team.

Looking ahead, there is one in D.C. on February 11th and 12th. Would any of you guys like to put together a team for that? I'd be more than happy to come up for it.

I'd say on a scale of 1 to 10 of being in shape I'm a 7.

The best shape I've ever been in, and the most athletic I've ever felt (while playing sports) was after doing P90x. The structure of it worked for me, but unfortunately I got bored. I just started working out again, and I'm incorporating the same scheduling as P90x, and a lot of the same workouts, just tweaking them some. I'm also doing PACE running and on my stationary bike. It's basically interval training and focuses on increasing lung capacity.

What's your plan?

Well I've got much further to go than you. With 10 being ripped and 1 being unable to move, I'd put myself at 5.75. I haven't actively played sports since high school and my attempts at maintaining a gym regimen have all failed after a month or two. I'm 5'8" and roughly 170, should be a lean 155 or strong 160. Right now I'm teaching myself how to run again and building up my leg strength and cardio first. I'm trying to get into barefoot running to help avoid leg injuries. This has unfortunately set me back even more because I'm using completely new muscles, but I've still got like 6 months.

At this point I'm basically doing the running and some pushups, but will probably incorporate more upper body work as I get closer to the event.

For me, the Tough Mudder is really about having a goal. I'm sick of my body not being a well oiled machine and I want to get back to that point. So dropping $80 on Tough Mudder and then signing a bunch of friends up was the way to go. Not only would failure be a waste of my money, it would be downright embarrassing because I'm the team captain. So it won't happen.

Tough Mudder is 10 miles....

I'm doing the spartan sprint and the Warrior dash....Same concept - 5k

:)

I've read that part of the Tough Mudder psychological challenge is to tell you it's 10 miles. Then when you get to mile marker 9 and think you're on the home stretch, they inform you you've got 3 more miles. Brutal.

BTW the VA one is going to be tougher than your average Tough Mudder. The ski slopes they've got you running up and down are pretty damn steep and long.

I've done adventure races before (through EX2 and other companies), but TM seems like it's all about fitness and fighting through the challenges of being cold and exhausted. ARs require navigation/strategy/mental toughness as well as fitness whereas obstacle course type races mainly require strength

AR I'm training for in October is 24-28miles long with running/trekking (mountains), MTB, canoeing & swimming. I'm also doing an Olympic triathlon in July so training kind of overlaps. Anyway, my weekly average (over the year) goals:

2-3 bike rides (35miles road, 10-15 MTB)

2-3 runs (2 road for 7-8mi total, 1 trail for 3-5mi total)

2-3 swim (mostly pool, 2.25-3.5mi total)

Strength: weights 2x/week, kayak/canoe 1x/month

I would think for doing TM, for endurance you need to work up to being able to run 10-13 miles off-road. Shorter training runs (5-6 miles) could incorporate calisthentics/strength tests such as push-ups, heart-poppers, back-pack w/ weight in it, etc. Be inventive, make sure to mix challenges in with your runs (such as adding stairs half-way through that you have to climb 3 at a time, hard hill work, etc). Plyometrics are great as well.

Good luck!

I'm down with the obstacles. Not really down with doing a lot of running as I am out of shape. But it looks pretty damn cool.

I'd be interested to hear how hard it really is, or if its just a day of fun and teamwork. Considering people looked like they were drinking beer, it looks more like the later.

I'm down with the obstacles. Not really down with doing a lot of running as I am out of shape. But it looks pretty damn cool.

I'd be interested to hear how hard it really is, or if its just a day of fun and teamwork. Considering people looked like they were drinking beer, it looks more like the later.

I think they were drinking beer AFTER the race. Results aren't important, but their website says they only track 100 of the first 500 runners:

"However, we know a small percentage of you are out to win this event, so if you think you have what it takes to be in the top 100 finishers, we’d like to offer you the opportunity to be part of the first wave of starters. There will be 500 in this group, but only the top 100 of these will have their times recorded by Tough Mudder staff. Please note: in order to qualify, you MUST have completed a marathon in 3 hours and 15 minutes and/or an olympic triathlon in 2 hours and 15 minutes"That's a serious athlete. 2hour/15min OlyTri is pretty fast. 3hr15min marathon is averaging 7.5min/mile. Considering most marathoners don't have a lot of muscle mass you might need for TM, that type of person doing a TM and marathon at that pace must be pretty impressive.

except for the thin air, right? Or are they usually done at ski resorts and/or at elevation?

I've seen several, including the VA one, at a ski resort. Obviously your mountains are bigger than ours so the elevation will be more of a factor. The VA one is between 2700 and 3700 feet (roughly).

A freind of mine is running the VA one and is trying to talk me into running it with him. I'm on the fence about it. I ran the Marine Corps Marathon in October and I'm still in pretty decent running shape, but other than pushups I don't do much upper body work. I like road racing but running in the mud ... I don't know. I might do it just so I can say I did it.

I've seen several, including the VA one, at a ski resort. Obviously your mountains are bigger than ours so the elevation will be more of a factor. The VA one is between 2700 and 3700 feet (roughly).

Those are hills. ;)

Actually, I grew up where the local "mountain" was called Mt. Trashmore ...and it was hill made from a landfill.

So I would have to train for 5 years before I could do the one here.

Archived