Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Anyone Participated in the Tough Mudder?

Rdskn4Lyf21

I did it yesterday. Don't understand how people could run in the mud, since it was so slippery lol... Lets say my brother and I walked the last two miles of the course.. I am still sore... Unfortunayely the arctic enema was closed when I ran due to lightning (even though we didn't see the any). My favorite was walk the plank, and least favorite was Berlin Wall.

What about boa constrictor? I'm claustrophobic and was dreading that one, I didn't think it was that bad, climbing up the tube was a good workout.

What do you mean? Like sucked as in weak or sucked as in it was hard?

For instance, I didn't really think any of them by themselves were "hard", the combination of all of them is what makes this challenging. When I say suck, which one did you enjoy the least/find the most challenging/made you work the hardest/didn't enjoy/but still had fun. :ols:

For instance, I thought the Funky Monkey, Berlin Walls, and Boa Constrictor, were probably the most challenging. Funky Monkey because i'm 6'5 220, not fat, Berlin Walls because getting the entire team over took some effort, and boa constrictor because i'm claustrophobic and climbing up the tube was fairly challenging.

Electric Eel was the one that I would say "sucked" the most, got nailed a few times in the head, and once my elbow where I have had surgery, i think i might have a little bit of metal left in there. I didn't think arctic enema was that big of a deal, it was a cold quick shock, that went away really quickly. i would also say kiss the mud, crawling across the rocks "SUCKED", the first one wasn't bad, but the one that was next to route 15 was filled with rocks.

My wife said Everest was taking people out left and right, she said she saw a ton of injuries. I got hit a few times during electro shock therapy, but made it through standing up.

I had a blast, the event itself is way more enjoyable than any half marathon I have ever done. Overall, I would say the half is slightly more difficult because you don't take breaks to stand in line. I am looking forward to more of them.

Okay, I got you.

I loved the 15ft plank jump. It was the best and wanted to do it again.

I would say the funky monkey(I made it the whole way, but going on an incline with monkey bars isn't easy) and the boa constrictor were the most physically difficult. I have very broad shoulders and climbing up the inside of the tube was a challenge.

Everest kind of sucked, because it was so muddy and wet at that point. Probably would have been better on a day when it didn't rain. Don't think it would be that difficult without that added element.

The mud hills you climbed up and slide down into the thick mud, don't remember the name, was stupid and more dangerous than anything. I saw a lot of people crash into other people and a lot of mud in people eyes.

Berlin Wall was the worst! I have no upper body strength at all. Climbing up on the Boa constrictor was a pain, got a few open wounds because of it.. I was fortunate I didn't get shocked at the electric eel. I was thrilled!!!! But couldn't say the same with Electric shock therapy. Was able to go through it on my feet, but it hurts like Hell!! Didn't even attempt Everest, legs were hurting..

i grew up skateboarding half pipes, and i'm sure Everest was brutal when it was soaked, the key to getting up it is to 1. run fast and 2. don't stop running, run as far up the ramp as you can. i saw a lot of people running mid way, then jumping face first into the vert.

The mud mile was the huge mud pit, I thought that was fun.

I started with the 11:40 crowd. The Storm hit at about mile 5 and we ran the last couple miles in a couple inches of mud. The only obstacles we missed were the electric eel and platform jump (forget what it's called.) I think we did everything else.

For me I think Everest was the toughest. I mean, I fell in about a third of the way through the monkey bars (my left leg cramped up immediately in the water. That was a fun swim to the edge) and the second set of Berlin Walls was ... very high (I got over both of them but I had a lot of help and have a nasty bruise on my right forearm) but when we got to Everest I took one look and was like. "uh ... no." I ended up watching for a few minutes to see how to get up the thing and picked a lane in front of three dudes on the top who were doing a great job of pulling people up. I figured I'd give it one try and if I didn't make it I'd walk around. So I point at the guys and they point at me and I hoof it up the pipe and somehow they miraculously catch me, one of them on each arm. I start to pull myself up, thinking I'm home free, when my midsection just explodes with pain. My right oblique ... I must have pulled it something awful. I grunt in pain and start to drop, now thinking it's just not going to happen, and the guy on my left hand goes 'Pull yourself up! Grab the platform! We're not letting go!' So with this seriously intense pain in my side I reach up and somehow get ahold on the platform, and they start pulling me all the way up. I get up to the top and turn to thank them but they are already helping the next person up. I'm not sure how I got down. But I managed to climb down eventually.

Anyway, I was cruising until Everest. It kinda pissed me off to hurt myself on basically the last obstacle, but I'm glad I got up the damn thing. I think it would have bugged me more if I hadn't.

Overall the whole thing was a lot of fun. I'm not sure if I'll ever do it again, but I'm glad I did it at least once.

So...After running the spartan beast (11 miles) and watching friends run the TM, I've noticed the difference.

TM - All about team work and making the obstacles as uncomfortable as possible. The electric shock, the ice, the dark...They arent the hardest things (although you will be tired) but they are all challanging and pushing you to do things you wouldn't want to normally do.

Spartan -Is about PHYSICALLY challenging things. There isnt anything like the electro shock where you will be thinking "Can I make myself do this" but its carry this 40lbs sandbag up and over these obstacles, hobbies hop (Which after mile 8, when your legs are cramping up, you tie your ankles together and have to hop 50 yards). There isn't much team work (Go swim thru mud then climb a rope is a 1 man show) and if you don't do a obstacle you have to do 30 burpees.

Mind you -I'm not knocking either - They are both extremely challenging, but in very different ways.

• 1 month later...

Got to do my first tough mudder this weekend. Tri-State Sunday run..12miles 20+ obstacles. Did all the obstacles, failed hang tough, funky monkey (by 2 frigging bars), and peg legs(where i almost died). Probably the most fun I've had since I was a kid. Sore today, but I'm really looking forward to doing more of these.

• 5 months later...

Anybody attended this year Tough Mudder Run. Ran the Mid-Altantic today and I am completely sore. It was better organized than last year. There was actually places where you can legally park.Thirty minute bus ride to the event was a bummer but I'll take it. Did mostly every single obstacle course except monkey bars and Walk the plank. Walk the plank was closed for the day because of an apparent drowning. Overall it was much better than last years though.

I did..it was brutal. I did tristate and it was a cake walk compared to this one. The front end was run heavy with lots of hill climbs. Which I guess you should expect that in WV. Also waiting in line at the pirate booty obstacle for 10min absolutely destroyed me. Directly after that, everything below my waste was completely locked up/cramping/tight/etc, couldnt run at all. I did get my legs going again after the water slide thing. Really, it's a good thing that was at the end.

For those that did the midatlantic last year in Frederick, and then this one, how did it compare? I cant imagine the hills were even close to this years.

Has anyone heard any updates on the guy who passed away on walk the plank?

Personally I don't think he could swim, the water is pretty deep and muddy.

I think cod was drowning..I think 1 of 3 things happened;

1.) Someone jumped on him, knocked him out and no one noticed until it was too late..i had read the obstacle was not terribly organized (unusual if true)

2.) Cramped up after jumping and no one noticed. Depending on where this obstacle was, before or after pirates booty, its plausible he cramped up. We had to wait 10-15min at pirates booty, waiting in the cold for that long at that point in the course was horrid. I physically could not run to the next obstacle. So if that was the next obstacle, I could see that.

3.) Couldn't swim. Which if he couldn't swim was just dumb to do the obstacle and NOT tell his group "hey, I cant swim so keep an eye out"...

I think cod was drowning..I think 1 of 3 things happened;

1.) Someone jumped on him, knocked him out and no one noticed until it was too late..i had read the obstacle was not terribly organized (unusual if true)

2.) Cramped up after jumping and no one noticed. Depending on where this obstacle was, before or after pirates booty, its plausible he cramped up. We had to wait 10-15min at pirates booty, waiting in the cold for that long at that point in the course was horrid. I physically could not run to the next obstacle. So if that was the next obstacle, I could see that.

3.) Couldn't swim. Which if he couldn't swim was just dumb to do the obstacle and NOT tell his group "hey, I cant swim so keep an eye out"...

Walk the plank was like obstacle 4 or 5 in the course. I believe it was right after electric eel. Didn't like the wait on Pirate booty ugh the cold made it worse. Don't know what the happen to the guy who died. I was actually waiting in line in walk the plank when announced what had happen, and they are closing the obstacle.. Can't believe people were actually booing when they heard the news. My friend's mother was spectating the event, and she stayed and she said that it took like 5 minutes for divers to find the body. Heard numerous theories, stroke, couldn't swim.

Archived