Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Anyone Participated in the Tough Mudder?

Rdskn4Lyf21

Tough Mudder mid-atlantic, my group heads out around 9:20, what time are you guys running?

I don't think it seems like its going to be that hard, especially compared to a half marathon. From what I understand, unless you jump out in front with an early group, there is a lot of standing in line waiting to cross obstacles.

Doing mine in October...first time. Going with a group from work.

For those of you that have done it; how did you train for it? I've never liked running, but will normally do two days of cardio doing 2-2.5 miles at 8min pace. Was thinking of tacking on running a mile after lifting to help get my legs acclimated to the running bit.

IMO, running is a key ingredient to getting through this thing feeling good at the end. This is a 12 mile endurance challege, if I were you i would work on building my mileage up to 8 or 9 miles before the mudder.

Good luck to all. I did a 5 mile mud run in VA Beach two summers ago and had to walk through most of it because I didn't train for running in sand, which was about 60-70% of the course. I was exhausted within the first mile. I'm not sure how to even simulate that for training purposes.

Yeah I'm doing the mid-Atlantic one. My group is running at 11am I think. There are five of us and one is a doctor, so there's that. :)

I did a long run of 13 miles this past Saturday and I'll now be gearing down the running. I do P90X resistance work once or twice a week and cardio (either P90X or tae kwon do class) twice a week. I'd say I'm definitely more of a runner/cardio guy than a strength guy. Running and jumping I should be ok with. I'm guessing lifting heavy things, pulling myself over walls and swinging across monkey bars and stuff will be my biggest problem. That and I'm too old for this ****. :) I'll let you all know.

Good luck to all. I did a 5 mile mud run in VA Beach two summers ago and had to walk through most of it because I didn't train for running in sand, which was about 60-70% of the course. I was exhausted within the first mile. I'm not sure how to even simulate that for training purposes.

This has been a concern of mine. The guy in charge of our group (who's run a TM before) is slower than I am and our group has decided to stick together so I'm hoping a slower pace than I'm used to plus all the stops will make up for the off-road factor. Of course I could be just deluding myself.

This has been a concern of mine. The guy in charge of our group (who's run a TM before) is slower than I am and our group has decided to stick together so I'm hoping a slower pace than I'm used to plus all the stops will make up for the off-road factor. Of course I could be just deluding myself.

I know meatheads who have done the tough mudder and never do cardio. It isn't easy they said, but you can get through it. I am not a long distance runner at all, but overall muscle endurance shouldn't be an issue for me.

Are they in their 40s? :)

Hahaha no, but I am sure you will be fine. It sounds like if it was just a flat out 10 mile run you could handle it. I think the worst part is going to be trying to run soaked to the bone and caked in mud.

The difference is, you are mostly running and walking on grass until you hit the obstacles, wet sand is a son of a *****, dry sand is a mother &$%$%##.

---------- Post added August-27th-2012 at 08:42 PM ----------

I know meatheads who have done the tough mudder and never do cardio. It isn't easy they said, but you can get through it. I am not a long distance runner at all, but overall muscle endurance shouldn't be an issue for me.

As much as tough mudder knocks long distance running, im anxious to find out which one is more difficult, a half marathon or the mudder, based on some friends i have seen complete the mudder, right now i am going to say half marathons are more challenging. Can't wait to find out.

• 2 weeks later...
Mine's two weeks from Saturday. I'll tell you how it goes. :)
I am doing it that Saturday as well. My team's start time is 10am.
Tough Mudder mid-atlantic, my group heads out around 9:20, what time are you guys running?

I don't think it seems like its going to be that hard, especially compared to a half marathon. From what I understand, unless you jump out in front with an early group, there is a lot of standing in line waiting to cross obstacles.

I'm running Saturday too, not sure what time. I've had a crazy couple months, limited training time, and I'm coming in grossly unprepared. So I'll be the guy everyone is passing (and hopefully not the one injured).
Yeah I'm doing the mid-Atlantic one. My group is running at 11am I think. There are five of us and one is a doctor, so there's that. :)

I did a long run of 13 miles this past Saturday and I'll now be gearing down the running. I do P90X resistance work once or twice a week and cardio (either P90X or tae kwon do class) twice a week. I'd say I'm definitely more of a runner/cardio guy than a strength guy. Running and jumping I should be ok with. I'm guessing lifting heavy things, pulling myself over walls and swinging across monkey bars and stuff will be my biggest problem. That and I'm too old for this ****. :) I'll let you all know.

Good luck to you all today! Please let me know what to expect and any tips you have! I guess we're kind of lucky because it's supposed to cool down tomorrow, so that's a positive at least...unless the Arctic Enema makes that a bad thing.

I met with most of my teammates last night and now I am more excited rather than scared! We also all got shirts made.

TM.jpg

I can't wait to hear about your experiences and which obstacles are the toughest!

leave WAAAAAY early...a lot of people didnt get to run because they were stuck in trafffic.

---------- Post added September-9th-2012 at 12:04 AM ----------

Finished all 11, who ran in the rain?

---------- Post added September-9th-2012 at 12:07 AM ----------

Just made it back. Whoever is responsible for parking should be fired immediately. 4 hour to get the last 5 miles, sat in the lot waiting to get out for 2 hours. Event was good though, didn't get hurt. Only lost like 4 obstacles due to lightning.

We left in the 9:00 group and flew through the course, the parking lot was GIGANTIC, one lane roads screwed it up. I proud to say, I OWNED, the tough mudder, piece of cake, enjoy the run tomorrow Skins fans,

---------- Post added September-9th-2012 at 12:21 AM ----------

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/tym2part/TM.jpg

I can't wait to hear about your experiences and which obstacles are the toughest!

Kiss the mud, easily the most challenging, crawling across rocks for 30 yards SUCKED, next in line electric eel, getting hit in the head with 10k watts\vollts whatever you want to call it straight up sucks penis.

Tough Mudder was a blast, i'm looking forward to more of them.

Tough Mudder for today has been canceled. SO BUMMED. Their excuse (via facebook):

Mudders,

We are deeply disappointed to have to announce that Tough Mudder Mid-Atlantic Sunday must be canceled due to flooding and safety concerns. Yesterday's rain left us with an extremely waterlogged course, base area and parking area, which all prevent critical functions from keeping you safe. Our safety team spent considerable time working with local authorities to reevaluate the course this evening and have ultimately determined it unsafe for tomorrow's event. Safety has and always will be our top priority without compromise, so we must heed this decision.

We did not make this decision lightly, and we are sure it will be met with great disappointment. We are committed to bringing you an amazing experience, so you will be receiving a transfer code on Monday that you can use to participate free of charge in any upcoming 2012 or 2013 Tough Mudder event. If you have any questions regarding this policy, please email midatlantic@toughmudder.com.

Again, we truly apologize for the frustration this will cause. Our mission is to build the best endurance challenge on the planet, and we hope to have another chance to give you the experience that you expect from us.

Thank you for your support and understanding.

TMHQ

BS. The City of Frederick made Tough Mudder cancel the event because of the cluster it caused. We are pissed.

Tough Mudder for today has been canceled. SO BUMMED. Their excuse (via facebook):

BS. The City of Frederick made Tough Mudder cancel the event because of the cluster it caused. We are pissed.

Sucks, sorry to hear about that. It sounds like they were going to have smaller crowds today, i think it could have gone smoother today had they let it happen. Frederick's In the Streets isn't happening today either, they should have let it happen.

(edit) After reading their facebook page, 2 things,1. all of the police were at in the streets yesterday, could have been much smoother today 2. the parking lot is probably waaaay jacked up because of the rain.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?storyID=140477#.UEx5sY2PWIU

i did it yesterday , and the way the course looked when we were finished was terrible! theres no way, when the mud hardened, that anyone was going to be able to run it today, even staffers that were around the course said it didnt look good for tomorrow, way too many holes and divets the entire course.... dont get mad at the city, definatly not the ones who canceled it, it was the right call

I did it yesterday in the rain. So much fun and we still got in all the obstacles, but the ice bath at the beginning. A great experience and will do it again for sure. Hopefully not in the rain.

I feel bad for the ones who were suppose to run today.

I did it yesterday. Don't understand how people could run in the mud, since it was so slippery lol... Lets say my brother and I walked the last two miles of the course.. I am still sore... Unfortunayely the arctic enema was closed when I ran due to lightning (even though we didn't see the any). My favorite was walk the plank, and least favorite was Berlin Wall.

Archived