Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Anyone Participated in the Tough Mudder?

Rdskn4Lyf21

Those are hills. ;)

Actually, I grew up where the local "mountain" was called Mt. Trashmore ...and it was hill made from a landfill.

So I would have to train for 5 years before I could do the one here.

Interestingly enough, the VA mountain in question appears to actually be larger than the Squaw Valley one in terms of elevation difference compared to the surrounding landscape. The peak at Squaw Valley is about 8500 compared to 6200 at Lake Tahoe. The peak at Wintergreen VA is 3800 and the elevation in the valley is 700.

• 5 months later...
Those are hills. ;)

Actually, I grew up where the local "mountain" was called Mt. Trashmore ...and it was hill made from a landfill.

So I would have to train for 5 years before I could do the one here.

One of the greatest skate parks ever.

Interestingly enough, the VA mountain in question appears to actually be larger than the Squaw Valley one in terms of elevation difference compared to the surrounding landscape. The peak at Squaw Valley is about 8500 compared to 6200 at Lake Tahoe. The peak at Wintergreen VA is 3800 and the elevation in the valley is 700.

The thinner the air the harder it will be, even though there is more of a vertical drop in VA, I bet Tahoe is brutal because the air is so thin.

I'm about to head out for TM today, running at 9am.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 06:14 AM ----------

Worth noting is that the temp will be in the low to mid 30s when I start running. And they have added an ice water obstacle.

I run a lot, I just did a half marathon last weekend, I can't imagine running 18 miles soaking wet and muddy.

Preparing for a half marathon is time consuming, how do you even prepare for something like this?

Good luck, sounds like a tough challenge.

"The Tough Mudder series was created because there is not an event in America that tests toughness, fitness, strength, stamina and mental grit all in one place and all in one day. Sure, there are a few that will test these things – for thousands of dollars and a week of your life. But in one day in one location? We don’t think so. Other mud runs like the Muddy Buddy series? Forget it – unless you want to run alongside your 60-year-old grandmother. Tough Mudder is a truly exceptional event for truly exceptional people. Fair weather runners should stay at home.

FACT – Marathon running is simply boring. And the only thing more boring than doing a marathon is watching a marathon. Road-running may give you a healthy set of lungs, but will leave you with as much upper body strength as Keira Knightley. At Tough Mudder, we want to test your all-around mettle, not just your ability to run in a straight line, on your own, for hours on end, getting bored out of your mind."

I'm sure they get a lot of people that have never ran 10 miles in their life signing up for these things. As someone who enjoys road running, I have no doubts you need to be tuned up for this thing.

I'm sure they get a lot of people that have never ran 10 miles in their life signing up for these things. As someone who enjoys road running, I have no doubts you need to be tuned up for this thing.

They are a little heavy on the marketing for an obstacle course, :ols: but as they are asking anything up to $180 to participate depending on when you sign up, I guess they have to sell it hard.

Lots of fat and otherwise out of shape people participate in these, just like your local road races.

I know a 5'5" 130lb dude who said it wasn't 'tough' But he's one of those pasty ectomorphs they mock in the marketing. Being in aerobic shape is important.

They are a little heavy on the marketing for an obstacle course, :ols: but as they are asking anything up to $180 to participate depending on when you sign up, I guess they have to sell it hard.

Lots of fat and otherwise out of shape people participate in these, just like your local road races.

I know a 5'5" 130lb dude who said it wasn't 'tough' But he's one of those pasty ectomorphs they mock in the marketing. Being in aerobic shape is important.

Yeah, when they say it requires endurance and strength like any other event and that marathon running is boring, i'm thinking a half marathon at a decent clip (9:30 pace or faster) would break half of the people and 26 miles would break at least 90 percent. I dont have any interest in running a full marathon but i'm pretty sure one of these doesn't make your toe nails fall off. One of my friends on facebook ran the VA one yesterday, he isn't in distance running shape and he completed it.

That friend of mine ran it on Saturday (I did not.) He did P90X for nine months and got his long runs up to 13 miles, and said the upper body work is more important than endurance.

He also said that by the time you get to the electro-shock part you're so beat up you hardly notice it.

Which do you think will be more challenging, the half marathon or tough mudder?

I'd say the tough mudder. Seems harder to train for. I had never done a race before I did the half. But I trained for 3 months to get ready for it. For the tough mudder, not only do you have to train running wise, you have to train upper body wise too to get through the obsticales. Add to the fact that you're covered in mud and it definitely can't be easy.

Looks like fun, what does the electric shock feel like?

I was so numb by the time I got to it I couldn't feel it at all. The other guys I ran with said it was a minor jolt.

FYI, for the VA one and I'm assuming any others that are on a mountain, you don't spend much time running. Most of it is hiking straight up the side of a mountain. My training was pretty much useless since I was working on running.

• 3 months later...

I will be signing up for this (in Frederick, MD) on payday. I will be running with a team, I'm not sure how many people are on it yet....but I bet it'll be at least 10 of us. I am scared ****less. I have about 7 months to prepare for it, though. :)

• 6 months later...
Mine's two weeks from Saturday. I'll tell you how it goes. :)

I don't know why our guy in charge didn't make it for the Saturday race. Doesn't he know Sunday is the start of football season??? UGH. But yes, please let me know how it is. What have you been doing to train? I'm about to finish a round of Insanity and I've done a little bit of running, but nothing close to 12 miles.

Doing mine in October...first time. Going with a group from work.

For those of you that have done it; how did you train for it? I've never liked running, but will normally do two days of cardio doing 2-2.5 miles at 8min pace. Was thinking of tacking on running a mile after lifting to help get my legs acclimated to the running bit.

Archived