Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does DC's mood still revolve around the Redskins?

RichmondRedskin88

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

After watching the Redskins DVD for like the 1 billionth time and some videos of Americas game on Hulu I had a interesting question. Past players on the Redskins DVD talked about how on game day everyone forgot about everything except that game and about the city's mood after a loss

" If we lose on Sunday you can't get a taxi because the driver doesn't feel like driving and the buses were sluggish. Its the God honest truth"

"When we loss we hurt our fans and their the last ones we wanted to hurt"

I don't know if that still applies with the Redskins now after being down for so long.

The question: Do you believe the city's mood revolves around the Redskins like it use to?

It's not the same as it used to be. That's a good thing actually, or else this would be a metro area full of borderline suicidal people since Snyder took over!

Plus most kids are not Redskins fans any more. And that makes a big difference also.

Not as much for me. I'm way more excited about where the other DC teams are headed. I've never been this excited about the Wizards and Nationals before and the Capitals certainly are easy to root for. I'm far more excited about the start of college football and the NBA season than the upcoming NFL season.

I think coping mechanisms have developed. We can't be as dependent on the Redskins for our highs and lows, because they have disappointed for too long. It's been twenty years of mostly downs. I find that my emotional hangover after a loss is much shorter now than it used to be. Maybe a few hours. It used to last for days. Maybe that's because I'm older, but I think it's also because the team has reshaped my expectations. Heck, there have been games that we lost in the last few years where I felt pretty good about the skins even though they lost because of the kind of fight and competitiveness they showed. On its surface, that's a depressing thought because it's an admission that I don't expect us to be top dog, but it's also an acknowledgement of reality that has kept me and the city kind of sane.

So, no DC no longer revolves around the 'skins although it wouldn't be hard to ressussitate that feeling.

It's pretty clear to see that this city is ready to rally around a contender. The Capitals are a perfect example of this. I knew maybe one or two real Capitals fans a few years ago. Now, with an (underachieving) championship contender the Caps have gained a HUUGE overnight following. My 85 year old Grandma (a diehard Skins fan btw) who never watched a hockey game in her life was watching Caps games and cheering for Ovie.

If the Skins catch lightning in a bottle like the Caps did this city would be reenergized on a massive scale. The entire feel of the city would be different.

not at all. the dc metropolitan area stopped caring about the redskins 10 years ago. theere is no celebrations when we win, no tears shed when we lose, by the city.

now... if we start winning again, MAYBE the spirit comes back but i doubt that

but as individuals, once ur a skins fan always a skins fan. and i def take those losses and bad games to heart.

It's nowhere near the same level as my childhood and teenage years, especially with the emergence of Alex Ovechkin. As good Caps teams as we've had in the past (despite Abe Pollin's attempts to basically just use them to bankroll the Bullets/Wizards), it was Ovechkin who really brought popularity to a new level.

The Redskins will likely always be #1 in this town, but it won't be by much. We would have to do a decade like the 1980's all over again to come close to re-establishing that, especially among the younger fans.

I myself believe that a fair amount do care but I wouldn't say to the amount of where every person in DC is only thinking about the game. However, I do believe that a lot to do with that is the fact the team hasn't been in Super Bowl contention for a long time. Washington became a city that began to expect being in contention for a SB a lot. Sadly the last one was almost 20 years ago. However, Washington will always be a football town no matter what.

Archived