Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does DC's mood still revolve around the Redskins?

RichmondRedskin88

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Surely I'm going to be biased in my saying about this because I was born and I grew up in the era after the Golden Years. I think that DC does still depend a lot on the Redskins but it's not the same as it used to be now we now have a legitimate Stanley Cup team in the Caps, John Wall has arrived and the Nats have Strasburg

It still does occur but its not the same level as it used to be

The Skins are still definitely #1. What other team has the folks form the rural areas outside the beltway, the burbs inside the beltway, and the inner city in their cheering section? DC is just starving for a winner because its been nearly 20 years since we've won a title. While I think the city will get behind whichever team has a shot a winning (see the caps this year), the celebration for the Skins bringing home the Lombardi will be much larger than anything for the caps, wiz, or nats.

I think it still impacts the city but not as much as in the 1980s and 1990s. It's been obvious even during our brief glimpses of success since the glory days. In late-1999/early-2000 the city was buzzing with that home playoff game. Also, during those magical runs of 2005/2007, the same happened.

If we ever have back-to-back playoff seasons (not to mention any sustained success that stretches out over several years), the city will live and die on Redskins Sundays again. There's just way too much loyalty and history for any other answer.

Down in NC you can find a lot of DIEHARD fans, they all could care less about the panthers. It's kinda nice because you have a lot in common with someone you don't even know.

Here your expected to like either the Skins or ****birds, so no big deal when you see someone sporting some Skins gear. Hell, last week I was at the Dulles Air and Space Museum, and one of the mall cops said "any Redskins gear must be thrown in the trash". I'm in N. VA! I would expect a joke like that anywhere else but in N. VA.? I expected more support for the team when I came back for the summer, but I don't know where it is. I suppose it left with the fairweather fans on the bandwagon.

It hasn't been the same since the Redskins left DC. The team belongs downtown in a stadium in the city.

FedEx is in the middle of nowhere. When games are over it takes forever to be able to get to any after parties or for people to congregate on the streets in G'Town like they did in the 1980's.

The spirit is still there but there is no way to see it as visibly as before.

And you can thank the DC politicians for the Redskins leaving.

These boneheads wanted everything from Cooke to change the name of the team to the organization's guarantee that a certain percentage of vendor/contractors used for construction and maintenance were going to be off a list the City wanted to give preferences to.

No business is going to go along with those kinds of restrictions.

Archived