Extremeskins

KCS: Don't excuse black athletes for racial hypocrisy

bubba9497

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/830212.html

Click link for entire article

Don't excuse black athletes for racial hypocrisy

By Jason Whitlock

The Kansas City Star

There's a backup tight end for the Dallas Cowboys who is doing everything he can possibly do to invite self-promotional controversy.

He started his own "television" network on the Internet and uses the platform to stir up trouble. Early this year, the Cowboys fined him $22,000 after he recorded a rap song/video that used multiple derogatory terms to describe black people and gay people.

Now, in the past week, he debuted a video showcasing the "Black Olympics," a Kool-Aid-, fried chicken- and watermelon-eating contest between himself and his brother, a rookie free agent with the Seattle Seahawks.

His name is Martellus Bennett. He's just 22. He's black. He played at Texas A&M. He's accomplished next to nothing in his brief NFL career. He is best known for buffoonery on YouTube's Marty B TV.

For the most part, Martellus Bennett is harmless.

I am not easily offended. Perhaps it's my size and affinity for food, but I take virtually no offense to good-naturedly delivered jokes about food stereotypes. Everybody I know -- black or white -- loves properly seasoned fried chicken. Watermelon is extremely healthy and very tasty. And it wasn't until I was in my 30s that I kicked my Kool-Aid habit.

When people e-mailed me on Friday asking what I thought of Bennett's "Black Olympics," I didn't know what to think.

I wasn't offended. I was sad. I grew even sadder throughout Friday and Saturday as it became apparent to me that Bennett's grab for controversy was being ignored.

I've reluctantly made peace with the fact that black comedians and rappers can make millions of dollars shouting the N-word and lampooning/promoting negative black stereotypes.

If Barack Obama made use of the N-word a death-penalty offense, commercial rap music would disappear and nearly every black comedian would have to rewrite their material. My point is I understand the economic impact of outlawing our (black) self-hate.

What I don't understand is when and why it became OK for a black athlete to milk the same cow.

I assumed that Bennett's "Black Olympics" would cause an uproar among the groups that claim to stand against just this kind of racial exploitation.

Instead, I'm again reminded that we hold white people to a higher standard of behavior than we hold ourselves.

I say that because you know damn well if Jason Witten had recorded and televised the "Black Olympics," CNN would've aborted coverage of Michael Jackson's month-long death to perform a thorough analysis of Witten's entire life.

Witten, a Pro Bowler, would likely be looking for another job.

Witten, of course, is white. And as a white person, we expect him to have enough common sense, decency and respect for his fellow man to concern himself with playing football rather than promoting a Web TV show with silly racial stereotypes.

Pardon my sarcasm. But I've grown irate.

The blatant hypocrisy we've learned to embrace is not only sickening, but it's also self-destructive.

I said this during the Don Imus fiasco, and it's worthy of repeating: In the history of mankind, no human being has ever received more respect than he's given himself.

That bit of history is never going to change. Never.

There is no special subset of human beings capable of treating you better than you treat yourself.

So if Martellus Bennett gets to hold a fried-chicken Olympics and call us the N-word on YouTube without serious objection, so does everyone else.

Oh, we might run the careless and stupid out of a job from time to time. We might even play a role in getting another half-black, raised-by-white-people man elected to the presidency.

But the grassroots, substantive progress we're looking for will continue to elude us.

People see you exactly as you see yourself. The rules of respect are the same for everyone. How you portray and refer to yourself will determine how you're viewed by outsiders. We have the power of self-determination. We too often fail to use it or misuse it.

True article. Some black people don't seem to understand that degrading themselves by using the n-word and promoting stereotypes just helps feed the racist people in the world. It may be ignorant, but people won't stop using the excuse "If they can say it why can't I?"

Martellus Bennett tweeted me the other day and told me he wanted to be in a cartoon. We'll see.

I thought his video was funny. We all like to pretend that we don't find humor in each other, but we do. I think people assign too much meaning to jokes.

The article makes a good point, but I don't think Martellus means anything degrading by it. I'd hate to think we must sacrifice humor because a funny video like this reaffirms racism in the those who still believe in it.

~Bang

Martellus Bennett tweeted me the other day and told me he wanted to be in a cartoon. We'll see.

I thought his video was funny.

~Bang

I guess he doesn't care that any cartoon you make with him in it wouldn't be complimentary (at least I haven't seen a complimentary Cowboy cartoon).

I should add to my previous post that I never saw the video. I agree with what I think was Whitlock's general point though.

While I agree with this article, I get the impression, don't misread this and try to misquote me, I get the impression that it's ok because blacks are black.

When a white preson says ****** it's got history, regardless of how or why it's being said. While if a black person says it, because they are black it's meaning is somehow different.

However, I might point out that Dave Chappelle did the same things this guy is doing, except did it on tv, and was labled a comic genius.

IMO if it's offensive than it should be wrong for any race regardless.

I wonder what it would be like if white people went around using racial slurs about other whites. Strange just to think about it. Why are people so attracted to Shocking behavior?

I don't think it would be very shocking, and the appeal wouldn't last very long (if it caught on at all). White people don't really care about our color anyway, other than our tans.

I think if Chapelle gets offended by white people repeating his jokes, it's his own fault.

Self degradation is a common technique in comedy. Black comedians use it a lot more because it is very prevalent within black culture itself. Why? That is up for debate but I'm sure the socio-psychological impact of racism in the US has a lot to do with it.

Just a thought...

Lame article.

There was nothing offensive about Martellus Bennett's video and of course there would be an uproar if Jason Witten made a Black Olympics video..l Jason Witten's WHITE. There's nothing wrong with self-depreciating humor which is why nobody cared when Chris Cooley presented himself as "Johnny Whiteboy" a couple of years ago.

If you really want to have an agenda against Martellus Bennett, pick on his blog. His blog makes absolutely no sense.

While I agree with the gist of this, in all fairness there's nothing in the article that shows me Martellus Bennett is being hypocritical.

he's not referring to Martellus Bennett being hypocritical, but the black community that would be quick to make an issue of it if non blacks players were using those racial stereotypes.

the video isn't just him & his brother but promoted on the web for all to see. How many will watch it and think it's funny because it's "true".

I wonder what it would be like if white people went around using racial slurs about other whites. Strange just to think about it. Why are people so attracted to Shocking behavior? Awesome article.

I do that with my friends. Sort of a harmless ironic joke. I've always thought the use of the N word by black folks between themselves to be slightly disgusting and really a bad idea. It just perpetuates the word. The joke I think was started to highlight how messed up it is that the name continues to be used; pointless I suppose.

Slurs between whites are far less common now, but in the past it was not rare to hear stuff like Dago, Polack, Kike, Wop, Mick, etc. My grandfather has told me that was still going on when he was my age 50 years ago.

Anyway, good article, makes ya think.

While I agree with this article, I get the impression, don't misread this and try to misquote me, I get the impression that it's ok because blacks are black.

When a white preson says ****** it's got history, regardless of how or why it's being said. While if a black person says it, because they are black it's meaning is somehow different.

However, I might point out that Dave Chappelle did the same things this guy is doing, except did it on tv, and was labled a comic genius.

And Dave Chappelle was also tryign to make a point about racism with the blind blakc racist skit...basically saying that racism is taught...he just happened do it in a way that was funny as hell.

I do that with my friends. Sort of a harmless ironic joke. I've always thought the use of the N word by black folks between themselves to be slightly disgusting and really a bad idea. It just perpetuates the word. The joke I think was started to highlight how messed up it is that the name continues to be used; pointless I suppose.

HOH, there is some history behind why black use that word...it was used as a way to lesson the sting of the word when it was used by whites. Not saying it is right or wrong, but that is what was done. Same with the word "cracker". Cracker was used to refer to a white man because of the cracking of the whip, to lesson the sting (no pun intended). I guess that is how some survived mentally in the days of slavery and jim crow.

I admit i have used the N word within the confines of my home and around my friends...but in a derogatory way...but as a term of endearment. Just like other ethnic groups do I am sure.

I don't see "Redneck" as a derogatory word. It does not = racist. I have Redneck friends that are more than willing to admit that they are Rednecks...but they are far from being racist.

The N word is a mind boggle for me. Imagine what the world would be like right now if we could just eliminate it from vocabulary all together. So many racial terms are rarely used these days, its sad that this one continues to be associated to blacks and used by blacks more widespread than any white person would do.

"People see you exactly as you see yourself. The rules of respect are the same for everyone. How you portray and refer to yourself will determine how you're viewed by outsiders. We have the power of self-determination. We too often fail to use it or misuse it."

Hey Whitlock,

Ask those black kids in philadelphia who went to the private pool if that is true. I mean there was a 12 year old kid literally crying because he didn't think people were like this still.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/12/pennsylvania.pool.problems/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

And Dave Chappelle was also tryign to make a point about racism with the blind blakc racist skit...basically saying that racism is taught...he just happened do it in a way that was funny as hell.

LOL exactly. It's always been amazing to me how that joke just went over so many people's heads. I thought it was brilliant.

Unfortunately, you always have that dumbass in a group that is laughing not realizing that the joke is on him.

I think the author goes a little overboard. Cosby makes the point better.

I mean, if self-deprecation isn't funny anymore most of us Jews will have no sense of humor. :)

EDIT: Oh, this article was written by Whitlock? Now it all makes sense. Overboard is his middle name.

OMFG Cap N Crunch Rap!

This dude is hilarious. I'm black but find it funny when one can learn to make fun of themselves, that's exactly what Martellus is doing. Some of it may be derogatory but what isn't now a days?

Watch this. It's EPIC!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lP8fHN53t0&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FMartyBTV&feature=player_profilepage

Archived