Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KCS: Don't excuse black athletes for racial hypocrisy

bubba9497

"People see you exactly as you see yourself. The rules of respect are the same for everyone. How you portray and refer to yourself will determine how you're viewed by outsiders. We have the power of self-determination. We too often fail to use it or misuse it."

Hey Whitlock,

Ask those black kids in philadelphia who went to the private pool if that is true. I mean there was a 12 year old kid literally crying because he didn't think people were like this still.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/12/pennsylvania.pool.problems/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

You don't think Whitlock was implying that there are only racists because blacks portray themselves negatively do you?

BTW, after watching the video I've realized that this article clearly went off on a tangent and can't possibly be about Martellus Bennett. Any normal person would watch the video and do nothing more than laugh or just skip over the video. Just looks like brothers acting stupid, like most brothers in the world (no pun intended).

You don't think Whitlock was implying that there are only racists because blacks portray themselves negatively do you?

BTW, after watching the video I've realized that this article clearly went off on a tangent and can't possibly be about Martellus Bennett. Any normal person would watch the video and do nothing more than laugh or just skip over the video. Just looks like brothers acting stupid, like most brothers in the world (no pun intended).

I dont know if he was or not. The only problem I have with Whitlock is that he acts like if black people all of a sudden stopped using ther N-word or act a certain way, racism will end. Yes you have to talk about some black people changeing some of their ways. However, you have to talk about some of the institutionalized racism that exist and how that can be solved. It is a 2 way street.

The author makes good points, but I think he is being far too harsh with the whole situation.

As an NFL player, Bennett or any other player should stay away from anything that would cause any controversy.

We are all guilty of stereotyping. It exists for a reason. If we just ignore it, then we are being a hypocrite. As far as promoting it, it can be taken different ways.

I agree that a man will never get more respect than they give themselves. Unfortunately these type of things can certainly reinforce stereotypes among minorities further keeping progress amongst the entire community from flourishing.

1st off when people say well if a white person uses the N-word then it, would be an uproar. It Rightly or wrongly it will be. Black folk use the n-word in general conversation. It depends on the context that its used in. Now a white person if they say the N-word in general conversation, then yeah blacks will be offended. Some things are not for everyone to say. Let me give an example. There might be something that someone in your family says to you that you may take in stride. But if someone outside your family said the same thing to you, you're gonna take it different. Females sometimes call each other the B word, hoe or slut in general conversation. Now if a man says the same thing to them even in general conversation, then they're gonna take it different. Bottom line is, rightly or wrongly it ain't eveybody's place to say certain things.

1st off when people say well if a white person uses the N-word then it, would be an uproar. It Rightly or wrongly it will be. Black folk use the n-word in general conversation. It depends on the context that its used in. Now a white person if they say the N-word in general conversation, then yeah blacks will be offended. Some things are not for everyone to say. Let me give an example. There might be something that someone in your family says to you that you may take in stride. But if someone outside your family said the same thing to you, you're gonna take it different. Females sometimes call each other the B word, hoe or slut in general conversation. Now if a man says the same thing to them even in general conversation, then they're gonna take it different. Bottom line is, rightly or wrongly it ain't eveybody's place to say certain things.

If I were so offended by certain words I wouldn't be using them in front of those who could offend me with them. In case of the n-word, a black person can look really stupid when using it in front of the wrong people. Personally, I wouldn't take that chance if it meant that much to me.

If I were so offended by certain words I wouldn't be using them in front of those who could offend me with them. In case of the n-word, a black person can look really stupid when using it in front of the wrong people. Personally, I wouldn't take that chance if it meant that much to me.

I've used the n-word in general conversation before. It can and has been used as a term of endearment. I'm not saying it makes it right. I'm not talking about just using the N-word but if I'm in a particular setting I conduct my self in a proper manner as far as my speech goes. I'm more comfortable around my friends talking silly during my down time. Thats even includes when I talk to my white friends. I may act silly and goofy and say things to friends that I wouldn't say to people for instance that I work with. Like I said before, I'm just not talking about the n-word.

DC, problem is only blacks and sensitive people are offended by the N-word. Others are annoyed, and ignore it.

For blacks to be the main ones to use it makes it even more ridiculous.

Let the word die. I can call someone an idiot or an ******* without making it a racial statement.

he's not referring to Martellus Bennett being hypocritical, but the black community that would be quick to make an issue of it if non blacks players were using those racial stereotypes.

the video isn't just him & his brother but promoted on the web for all to see. How many will watch it and think it's funny because it's "true".

Well, it depends on the person in general but that is the category that blacks have placed themselves in.

LOL exactly. It's always been amazing to me how that joke just went over so many people's heads. I thought it was brilliant.

Unfortunately, you always have that dumbass in a group that is laughing not realizing that the joke is on him.

Fairly stated.

The author doesn't compare apples to apples.

If Jason Witten (or let's take Cooley since he participates in blogs/videos) made jokes about WHITE people in his blog, would it even register anywhere? I think everyone agrees that a white player bashing blacks would start a huge problem, and it should. Additionally, if Bennett had torn up white people, that should be a cause for concern too.

However, I don't see what he did that's so wrong.

Consequently, I don't necessarily agree that a black guy can't bash white people or vice versa. Among friends and teammates, it's probably just fine. I just think society would be up in arms if it went public that Bennett made fun of white people or Cooley/Witten made fun of black people.

Basically...it is all about the intent when you are using the word.

DC, problem is only blacks and sensitive people are offended by the N-word. Others are annoyed, and ignore it.

For blacks to be the main ones to use it makes it even more ridiculous.

Let the word die. I can call someone an idiot or an ******* without making it a racial statement.

We are offended by the intent of the word more then the word itself...ok and if the word dies..then what? Is it going to end discrimnation or racial problems? Is it going to end people acting like N words? And besides, it's not like black people invented the word.

I've used the n-word in general conversation before. It can and has been used as a term of endearment. I'm not saying it makes it right. I'm not talking about just using the N-word but if I'm in a particular setting I conduct my self in a proper manner as far as my speech goes. I'm more comfortable around my friends talking silly during my down time. Thats even includes when I talk to my white friends. I may act silly and goofy and say things to friends that I wouldn't say to people for instance that I work with. Like I said before, I'm just not talking about the n-word.

I completely understand how a black person can use it as a term of endearment, and how white people can never say it. I don't even like saying it in the context of a story or in presenting facts. I just know there are people out there that will use the word like it doesn't mean anything, then when a white guy ignorantly (but innocently) uses it it's an outrage. Some people need to be more aware of what they're saying/doing if they don't want to give the wrong impression.

Stereotypes can be funny.

~Bang

They usually are IMO.

Now this is the fantastic reading Whitlock should be providing. There is no doubt that Bennett is displaying the kind of hypocrisy that is destroying our Black culture. Idiots like Bennett are everywhere unfortunately, and it's this band of morons that is hurting the greater cause. :helmet:

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/07/marty-b-responds-on-the-michael-irvin-sh.html

Click link for entire article

Marty B responds on the Michael Irvin Show

Martellus Bennett was on The Michael Irvin Show on 103.3 FM ESPN Radio yesterday and discussed his controversial Black Olympics that he put on YouTube under the Marty B TV heading. The 4-minute clip didn't sit well with Jason Whitlock of the Kansas City Star and FoxSports.com, who said it was offensive. Bennett said he didn't think he did anything wrong. Here's part of the interview. You can hear all of it here.

Where did you get the idea for the Black Olympics?

Me and all my brothers were in the kitchen and as I looked around, I noticed we were eating every stereotype. We got chicken, kool aid, watermelon, we might as well do a Black Olympics. That's what happened.

So you did this in fun. Jason Whitlock wrote an article. He said this was offensive and you should get in trouble.

I don't really think it's offensive. It depends on your sense of humor and how you look at things. We were just having fun and it was very funny for me and my brothers, when I look at it I just can't stop laughing. If someone takes offense, I apologize. That wasn't my intention. It was just us having fun. Some people like what you do and some people don't. Always in life, anything you do, someone is going to have a different opinion than what you have.

Bennett was asked about criticism and whether he expected to receive some because of the video.

I'll get criticized regardless. I don't do it to get crities or people say it's me fighting ot get attention, but it's not. ...It's just me being me. That's why I have Marty B TV for the fans to see what type of person I am outside of football. ...In my spare time I like to have fun and make these youtube videos. We're just having fun.

Detractors say wait until you've done something on the field, meaningful, before doing something like this.

Every time I step on the field, I do something meaningful. I'm the blue collar guy. I do a lot of stuff I don't get credit for. Every day I work on my game. Every day I'm becoming a better player. I would tell them, 'You can say what you want to say, but you don't see me working hard at practice.' They think I'm at home doing nothing, which is none of their business actually. Don't worry about me until football season. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

If a white person did the Black Olympics, would you be offended?

Nah. There's white comedians that do stuff like that all the time. I think it's funny to attack stereotypes. It's funny how people just put people in a certain light and say that's what all the people do of a certain race or particular person, so it's fun to attack those stereotypes.

Do you expect to hear from the Cowboys on this?

Not really. The first time I got in trouble because I was cursing and I had the Cowboys helmet on. Now it's just me doing me. It's no different if I was being a standup comedian at a show.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/07/marty-b-responds-on-the-michael-irvin-sh.html

Click link for entire article

Marty B responds on the Michael Irvin Show

Martellus Bennett was on The Michael Irvin Show on 103.3 FM ESPN Radio yesterday and discussed his controversial Black Olympics that he put on YouTube under the Marty B TV heading. The 4-minute clip didn't sit well with Jason Whitlock of the Kansas City Star and FoxSports.com, who said it was offensive. Bennett said he didn't think he did anything wrong. Here's part of the interview. You can hear all of it here.

Where did you get the idea for the Black Olympics?

Me and all my brothers were in the kitchen and as I looked around, I noticed we were eating every stereotype. We got chicken, kool aid, watermelon, we might as well do a Black Olympics. That's what happened.

So you did this in fun. Jason Whitlock wrote an article. He said this was offensive and you should get in trouble.

I don't really think it's offensive. It depends on your sense of humor and how you look at things. We were just having fun and it was very funny for me and my brothers, when I look at it I just can't stop laughing. If someone takes offense, I apologize. That wasn't my intention. It was just us having fun. Some people like what you do and some people don't. Always in life, anything you do, someone is going to have a different opinion than what you have.

Bennett was asked about criticism and whether he expected to receive some because of the video.

I'll get criticized regardless. I don't do it to get crities or people say it's me fighting ot get attention, but it's not. ...It's just me being me. That's why I have Marty B TV for the fans to see what type of person I am outside of football. ...In my spare time I like to have fun and make these youtube videos. We're just having fun.

Detractors say wait until you've done something on the field, meaningful, before doing something like this.

Every time I step on the field, I do something meaningful. I'm the blue collar guy. I do a lot of stuff I don't get credit for. Every day I work on my game. Every day I'm becoming a better player. I would tell them, 'You can say what you want to say, but you don't see me working hard at practice.' They think I'm at home doing nothing, which is none of their business actually. Don't worry about me until football season. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

If a white person did the Black Olympics, would you be offended?

Nah. There's white comedians that do stuff like that all the time. I think it's funny to attack stereotypes. It's funny how people just put people in a certain light and say that's what all the people do of a certain race or particular person, so it's fun to attack those stereotypes.

Do you expect to hear from the Cowboys on this?

Not really. The first time I got in trouble because I was cursing and I had the Cowboys helmet on. Now it's just me doing me. It's no different if I was being a standup comedian at a show.

This just proves that MB is a true idiot. Trying to justify his stupidity by saying "it's just me doing me" totally validates everything Whitlock wrote. Their is a huge difference between attacking stereotypes and what he was doing.

Archived