Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playing With House Money in Philly This Week...

kleese

Well, that was awesome. That's really about the best analysis I can provide. I really have very little to add to the post-game comments that has not already been said. There is one thing though that I think needs to be stressed:

The most underrated/underappreciated Redskin during my lifetime plays on this squad:

Shawn Springs is fantastic. He's a star. He has been since we signed him. He's played at Pro-Bowl starting level for his entire tenure in Washington. His injuries are frustrating, but he's really been on the field the majority of his time in Washington. Quite simply: We are a completely different defense when he's on the field. He allows Rogers to be a #2, which is a role he's suited for, and he allows Smoot to be a #3, which is a role he's suited for.

I certainly hope his calf is OK because he is without a doubt, the MVP of the defense (with Fletcher coming in a close second).

As for the Philly game..

First of all, I'll be there! Can't wait.

And with the Eagles going down to the Bears last night, this becomes a game that means a TON to them and not nearly as much to us.

After Sunday, we will have finished all division road games. Most teams would find going 1-2 on the road in the East a VERY acceptable outcome. It is now our WORST case scenerio.

After Philly, we play 4 of 5 at home, including back to back to back games against teams whose current combined record is 1-10.

The Eagles game is a "bonus" game if I ever saw one. Not one we should take lightly by any means, but a game that has great consequences if we win, but doesn't hurt much at all if we lose. Those are fun games.

My gut tells me the Eagles pull it out....mainly because I just think that's the way the East is going to go this year....round and round....everyone taking their shots....I will be surprised if any team in the division wins twice on the road....

Having said that, by no means am I conceeding the game. I am a bit worried about an emotional letdown...players and coaches will say all the right things this week, but it's hard to escape human nature....it will be tough to conjure up the preparation and emotion needed in these back to back games-- especially with Philly somewhat desperate for a win, not wanting to fall to 2-3 and 0-2 in the East.

On the flip side, this is a dangerous game for the Eagles as well. They will be hosting a hot team brimming with confidence, that has pretty much already accomplished a goal by winning one of these two road games.

You want to know the main reason I am leaning towards Philly this week?

Law of averages. Honestly, if we go to 4-1 with road wins at Dallas and Philly, I'm not sure when I'd see us losing again. Certainly not to the Rams, Browns, or Lions. And even though the Steelers could definitely beat us, I'd have to favor us in DC. That would be 8-1. Are we THAT good?

Let me put it this way if we beat the Eagles on Sunday, I think we can realistically start looking at going 12-4 this year. Seriously. We can start thinking about WINNING the division and trying to get homefield. I am not saying we will have ANY of these things wrapped up-- but what I am saying is that if you play 3 of your first 5 games on the road in the East and come away at 4-1, then you are ABSOLUTELY a contender to win the NFC.

A loss this Sunday just makes sense.

But so did a loss yesterday :)

Isn't great we can talk about this and not sound ridiculous?

lol... ahhh, what a win against Dallas does for us! It doesn't matter how talented Dallas is, they just played A TEAM.

Btw, I totally agree on the Springs comment. By far the MVP. However, I think Carlos Rogers isn't getting a fair shake. He's going to fill in for Springs when he's our no. 1 very well. I truly believe that.

I had the 7-1 conversation with my friends yesterday during the game, right about when we were up 17-7.... :)

It's tough to not look ahead.

Yesterday, I would have been happy with a solid, respectful showing. I just didn't want to get blown out. That was my thought process for both of these games.

Today? It might be time to up our expectations........

I can agree will all of the above. We have to be ready for this game and not take it lightly. But if we can go 4-1 and be done with our conference raod games we are in the drivers seat the whole way to the playoffs. This is so sweet to be talking about this.

One game at a time. The exciting thing is that we are still learning our offense and we should only get better as the season goes on. Campbell didn't take any deep shots yesterday and we controlled the clock in Big D. The Eagles will bring the house and we've got to beat them deep. Look for Cooley, Moss and possibly Devin Thomas or Thrash to make big plays. Moss vs. Asante Samuel will be a great matchup.

I don't care about 7-1, 12-4, or anything else, I only care about getting to 4-1!

I had the 7-1 conversation with my friends yesterday during the game, right about when we were up 17-7.... :)

It's tough to not look ahead.

Yesterday, I would have been happy with a solid, respectful showing. I just didn't want to get blown out. That was my thought process for both of these games.

Today? It might be time to up our expectations........

I had been telling people that if we could be 6-2 going into the Pittsburgh game, we had a very good change of 10 or more wins this season. For that to happen, we needed a road divisional win ... we got it.

This victory in Dallas should give the team another layer of confidence that they can go into a hostile environment and get it done as long as they remained poised.

Next Sunday in Philadelphia will be a good test and, as long as they don't get overconfident, should be a great game. There's no reason we can't beat Philadelphia with a sound game plan and the O-line giving Campbell enough time to pass. We know Eagles D-coach Jim Johnson will likely blitz.

cheers

We are going to beat Philly.

I don't care what anyone is saying, we've established ourselves as the best in the conference now. I respect the Giants as Super Bowl champs, but they haven't impressed me a damn bit and if we were to play them right now, I'd bet everything on us.

We have stepped up into the elite of the league and don't be surprised if there is a playoff game in DC come January.

I disagree. If we lose against Philly... everyone can call the D win an aberation and the 'skins might wonder about it too. Was Dallas too flat? If we go out and beat the Eagles, if we can handle their D which looks awfully scary, then none can question us and the Redskins can build on their self-belief.

Btw, I totally agree on the Springs comment. By far the MVP. However, I think Carlos Rogers isn't getting a fair shake. He's going to fill in for Springs when he's our no. 1 very well. I truly believe that.

Totally agree. How about that pass defensed late in the game where he came out of no where and two hand swatted the ball away from TO by the sidelines. It was a thing of beauty.

I disagree. If we lose against Philly... everyone can call the D win an aberation and the 'skins might wonder about it too. Was Dallas too flat? If we go out and beat the Eagles, if we can handle their D which looks awfully scary, then none can question us and the Redskins can build on their self-belief.

I half agree. I think that if we lose to Philly people will say it was expected and who is really going to win two consecutive road East games anyways rather than call the last win an aberation. However if we win all bets are off.

I agree this could be a let down game for the Skins. They have been playing amazing the past 3 games. Honestly right now I think we can beat anybody in the league. But philly is starting to get desperate. They are going to bring all they go this Sunday and hopefully our boys will stay grounded and keep playing the same.

While reading Arts post yesterday he mentioned that in the locker room after the game that guys werent going crazy about the win. They kind of just acted like they knew they could win the game and that its just one game. This team seems to play very well in the underdog roll. I think alot of people will give them praise this week and will probably pick them to beat philly, lets see if this team can still perform when they are starting to get recognition. Thats what I want to see.

I disagree with the premise of this thread. I would be very disappointed with a flop next game. Now if both teams go out and play brilliantly and the Eagles edge us, that is one thing. But this next game is even louder of a statement game for the Redskins. If we go to Philly next week and handle an ailing team, we will demonstrate the killer instinct that good teams must have. This team absolutely needs to seize upon the momentum of the last three games to break ahead in the division and build a foundation for a playoff run. I do not want us to have to put together another ragtag 4 or 5 wins straight at the end of the year just to sniff the wild card. A win next week will firmly put us in the conversation with the Giants as the division leader, and owning tie breaks against Dallas and Philly is paramount for our hopes of making the playoffs. We shouldn't be so quick to assume that the NFC East will get both wildcard spots. Tampa Bay and Carolina are both very good teams, and the Saints are frisky also. Not to mention the NFC North is pretty much up for grabs.

This is a very important game.

I think a lot depends on whether or not Westbrook plays, and how healthy he is if he does.

For me this is the key. If Westbrook doesn't play I give us a 70-30 chance to win this game. If he does it goes to 60-40 against us. Without Westbrook the Eagles can be beaten by almost anyone. With him they can beat anyone.

if we don't have to worry defensively about Westbrook I just don't see how the Eagles are going to attack our secondary. They don't have a big time TE, their receivers are ok (no TO or Bolin, fidge, Platz etc) and no running back to worry about. This D has played very well against some of the most powerful offenses in the league.

I can't disagree more with you kleese. We NEED this win more than Philly does. We NEED it to establish the fact that WE ARE #1 in the NFC. WE are the team to beat. When was the last time we have seen our Skins go on a sick tear in the beginning and middle of the season? With arguably the easiest part of our schedule coming up, a win in Philly will not only put the Skins @ 4-1 with the Rams, Lions and Browns coming up, BUT it will show us and the mediots that this TEAM is for real, going 2-1 ON THE ROAD in the TOUGHEST DIVISION IN THE NFL. That the win in D wasn't a fluke, that the SKINS ARE THAT GOOD!!!

Jason Campbell and Co. can win in Philly, they did it last year. If they do it again this weekend they will show everyone in the NFC and possibly THE ENTIRE NFL WHO'S BOSS. I am amped up for this game moreso than Dallas and our players need to be too this game is KEY.

Having said that, by no means am I conceeding the game. I am a bit worried about an emotional letdown...players and coaches will say all the right things this week, but it's hard to escape human nature....it will be tough to conjure up the preparation and emotion needed in these back to back games-- especially with Philly somewhat desperate for a win, not wanting to fall to 2-3 and 0-2 in the East.

If you were to listen to Cooley this morning on DC101 he said Zorn has something about him that makes them a better/energized players. So your letdown thing 'aint going to work with the Skins this year!!!;)

:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck

A few retorts:

1. I don't think we'll lose because of the "letdown" factor. More of a law of averages thing. Even if we're a better team than Philly, winning on the road in the NFL is tough. Winning division games on the road is tougher. Winning them in back to back weeks...well, you get the picture.

2. We don't "need" this game. The only way we "need" it is if are you thinking 14-2, 13-3 or along those lines. In that case, I'd agree. We could lose this game and EASILY still wind up in the 11-5 range. This could certainly be one of the 5 losses.

3. I never said we're going to go 12-4. I said, IF we win this week, then I'll start thinking about it.

4. Before the season, I picked us 8-8. After these first four games, I've shifted gears and I am now thinking 10-6 or MAYBE 11-5. If we lose to Philly, I will STILL be thinking 10-6 or 11-5. If we beat Philly, then the sky is the limit.

Just seems a tad too good to be true that we'd win BOTH of these games and come back to face the Rams, Browns, and Lions.

Archived