Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: Barge slams into Galveston bridge in Texas, causing partial collapse and shutdown

China

Barge slams into Galveston bridge in Texas, causing partial collapse and shutdown

A barge slammed into a bridge in Galveston on Wednesday, spilling oil into the bay and forcing a shutdown of the Texas span, officials said, in the latest accident involving prominent U.S. thoroughfares.

Aerial images showed that a section of a rail line alongside the bridge appeared to have collapsed, with slabs of concrete piled on the barge.

240515-galveston-bridge-aerial-2-se-132p

No injuries were immediately reported at the Pelican Island Causeway, following incident that unfolded shortly before 10 a.m. CT, according to a statement by the city of Galveston.

Two operators were on the barge at the time of the impact, said Spencer Jones, a spokesperson for the Galveston County Office of Emergency Management.

Jones added that one of the operators fell into the water but was immediately rescued, and the other remained on the barge after the crash and was eventually rescued, as well. 

Click on the link for the full article and video

• Sad 1

I suspect a good part of these failures is an unintended side effect of the Jones Act - a law passed after WW1 that mandates all vessels in American waters must be fully American made and entirely American manned.  The intention behind the law was to coerce the US to build a capable naval fleet, which I guess we lacked during the first WW.  Instead, it killed a lot of industry in cities that had been built by navigable waterways, and old decrepit US ships are constantly reconditioned because our commercial shipbuilding industry is far more inefficient and costly than the rest of the world.  The act's original purpose looks ridiculous now - we have the most powerful navy in the history of the world and it's not even close.  We could reduce our carbon footprint, add hundreds of billions of dollars to the economy, and reduce incidents like these if we repealed the Jones Act, but we won't because unions will turn on any politicians who try...

• Thumb up 1

Long story short, my idiot, maga boss found out the guy who hit the FSK bridge is from Ukraine...apparently that means something. I wonder what the conspiracy those idiots will have for this one?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

**** yea, we do!

My last duty station was right outside my XO's office, and he walked in every day with "We're the world's largest nuclear Navy, let's get to it!" 

It was the ARC of NAS JAX.  

Yes, I was intake/re-entry for the Alcohol Rehabilitation Center,  I was staff.  Managed flights with USAF, etc.

That's a good laugh, huh? 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

18 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

We are under attack. 

I’ve been warning people for years not to trust boats or the people that pretend boats are real jobs, but did they listen? No.

• Haha 2