Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Rookie camp/OTA/Training camp thread.

What we learned about the Commanders’ offense on the first day of OTAs

Kingsbury hired a few key coaches, seemingly to help address those concerns, and has been “really impressed” by Daniels’s advanced understanding of how to adjust the offensive line.

“A lot of guys coming into the league, [protection is] not an area that they majored in in college,” he said. “They don’t have a lot of time. It’s four hours per day. They have rules. But he’s really well-versed in the protections, and he works at it.”

Before the snap

On Day 1, Kingsbury devoted a portion of the workout to “hurry-up” offense. Daniels yelled code words and flashed hand signals to communicate the play to his teammates. Kingsbury likes going no-huddle, and that could help Daniels parse defensive looks before the snap.

...While it’s impossible to say which concepts will be core parts of the offense, we can make some reasonable assumptions. In the passing game, the team will probably lean on screens, a staple of LSU’s offense with Daniels last season, and “quick game” to overcome deficiencies on the offensive line.

Kingsbury also could feature the slot fade, a positive play for Daniels last season. On Tuesday, he threw a beautiful fade to wide receiver Davion Davis, and it was easy to imagine Daniels throwing it in a big game to wideout Jahan Dotson or someone such as him.

...Daniels seems to be taking a mature approach to learning the offense.

“Any NFL playbook is an encyclopedia but, you know, it’s day by day,” he said. “You go out there and just try to master install one. Go back, watch the tape. Tomorrow, master install two. As I start getting more reps, I start getting more comfortable.”

He’s having fun, too. During a drill Tuesday, coaches acted as rushers, forcing him to escape pressure, reset and throw. It was raining, and assistant quarterbacks coach David Blough kept dropping passes.

“The first and second incompletion [are your fault]!” Daniels joked, grinning.

“Keep it up, rookie!” Blough shot back before confessing to a couple of reporters: “I need gloves, guys. I need gloves real bad.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/05/14/kliff-kingsbury-commanders-offense-otas-jayden-daniels/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

That's kinda crazy that they gave Sainristil #2 while dyami is still wearing it lol.  At first I thought that was kinda messed up then I remembered how disappointing dyami has been and I'm ok with it.  Step it up Dyami.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It seems like they're having fun. And not Jay Gruden titty twister kind of fun, the kind where they're being serious about it, they want to be there, they want to grow, they want to win.  I'm no where near that practice field and I can still feel the vibe.   It's like a...win or lose right away, good things are coming.  It's basically a completely new franchise.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

LMC is gonna be WR2.

He at least has a great chance to be WR3 by the start of the season. At that position he would see a lot of play time. That's pretty damn good for the teams 6th pick in this years draft!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

He at least has a great chance to be WR3 by the start of the season. At that position he would see a lot of play time. That's pretty damn good for the teams 6th pick in this years draft!

I think he's more of an outside guy, than a slot guy. Dotson really hasn't proven anything, either. There is TMac and nothing else.

44 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think he's more of an outside guy, than a slot guy. Dotson really hasn't proven anything, either. There is TMac and nothing else.

I think Dotson just had a case of the Sophomore blues. He was solid in his rookie season. I would expect a nice jump in productivity from him this season. 

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1790729091752046921

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I think Dotson just had a case of the Sophomore blues. He was solid in his rookie season. I would expect a nice jump in productivity from him this season. 

He specifically said he didn't feel like himself that last season and you could look at it and see it. I honestly think it was just bad coaching, low moral and knowing none of this was going anywhere. Guys like Terry, who can see the writing on the wall and play hard anyway, are rare. Not that its a good excuse, mind you. He cant do it again. But thats what it looked like to me. 

• Like 2

Michale Thomas would be the FA I would like to bring in and kick the tires. I know it's most likely not popular here and he would have to be healthy and the kind of team player type they are looking for, not sure he is? Price may not be right either?  I liked Eckler and Thomas early on before FA started, when they were not that popular as a signing here. Just my opinion of who I think could help the WR group, maybe?

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

He specifically said he didn't feel like himself that last season and you could look at it and see it. I honestly think it was just bad coaching, low moral and knowing none of this was going anywhere. Guys like Terry, who can see the writing on the wall and play hard anyway, are rare. Not that its a good excuse, mind you. He cant do it again. But thats what it looked like to me. 

A number of good WR's come on their 2nd. year also. Could be bad coaching, QB whatever? Maybe they lost confidence in his ability to catch the ball, I did.  Stroud did wonders for the young WR's last year maybe JD will too?

• Like 2

Realistically, it's likely the new staff salvages at least one Ron pick into a good player, and I think Dotson seems far more likely than Forbes or Davis.  I liked everything about him his rookie year, clearly was a better fit for Turner's offense (which was pretty sad in it's own right, but in different ways to EB's).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Michale Thomas would be the FA I would like to bring in and kick the tires. I know it's most likely not popular here and he would have to be healthy and the kind of team player type they are looking for, not sure he is? Price may not be right either?  I liked Eckler and Thomas early on before FA started, when they were not that popular as a signing here. Just my opinion of who I think could help the WR group, maybe?

I would welcome the slant merchant on an incentive-laden contract but he’s best at this point as a big slot and we’ve got some in-house candidates to play a lot of snaps there. He’d most likely spend the majority of the season on IR but he’s excellent in traffic over the middle which can help a young QB. And his ego has reduced in size over the last few disappointing seasons, so you no longer have to worry about the ballhog mentality

11 minutes ago, Conn said:

I would welcome the slant merchant on an incentive-laden contract but he’s best at this point as a big slot and we’ve got some in-house candidates to play a lot of snaps there. He’d most likely spend the majority of the season on IR but he’s excellent in traffic over the middle which can help a young QB. And his ego has reduced in size over the last few disappointing seasons, so you no longer have to worry about the ballhog mentality

Injuries and some other things reduced his play the last couple years for sure. But he does a lot more than the slants. He can go up and bring the ball down too, side lines whatever? 

54 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I'm giving most everyone a pass for last year, especially Dotson.  You don't from looking outstanding his rookie year to garbage in an offseason. The scheme was awful, the coaching was terrible, the O-line was a mess, I'll be shocked if he doesn't rebound.

• Like 9
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Realistically, it's likely the new staff salvages at least one Ron pick into a good player, and I think Dotson seems far more likely than Forbes or Davis.  I liked everything about him his rookie year, clearly was a better fit for Turner's offense (which was pretty sad in it's own right, but in different ways to EB's).

Jamin Davis is already pretty decent.  PFF grades him a 67 last year, which is kind of amazing given how bad the defense was.  If he doesn't stick around, it will likely be due to a numbers game--not wanting to spend too much on LB after signing Luvu, or having Magee break out. But I could also see him having a good year if he can stay healthy.  He's one of our only big players on defense, and he's going to benefit from not having to play inside now that we've got Wagner and Luvu.  At least one of those two should be on the field at all times, unless we get really unlucky with injuries.

Dotson and Forbes are the ones who need to be reclaimed, and I think both will get significantly better under the new coaches.  Dotson seems to have had a personal issue with Bieniemy and Howell, and Forbes was being set up to fail by the last regime in a way that almost seemed intentional.  Joe Whitt is going to figure out how to get Forbes playing well.

I think the dude who is going to explode under the new regime is B Rob though.  For many reasons.  His position coach is going to max out his talent, he's splitting the load with a former All Pro, Jayden is going to give him light boxes + we're going to lean on him to carry the offense while Jayden learns the game, and he's due for his big third year leap.  Somehow he was already pretty good last season despite not getting many opportunities.  Just seems like there are a lot of parallels between him and James Conner, and that he could be due for one of those 1000+ scrimmage yards and 15 td seasons.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Injuries and some other things reduced his play the last couple years for sure. But he does a lot more than the slants. He can go up and bring the ball down too, side lines whatever? 

He has had that ability, I’m just assuming that the constant injuries and age are probably slowing him down. He was always best playing over the middle in a big slot role even if he could also dominate on the outside in his prime. 

• Thumb up 1

Dotson was in EB's doghouse from day one. He just didn't respond to that kind of coaching and it showed. I think he'll thrive in a more energetic, player friendly scheme, and Kingsbury will figure out how to actually get him open in space.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Y'all could be right, who knows. Seems like JD5 and LMC are having a pretty solid connection though. I don't think it's likely, but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My guess is they like the idea of Dotson as a #2, but they also want competition for him as well as depth - much like how/why they brought in Crowder and Zaccheus (and drafted Luke).  Dyami and Tinsley haven’t proven anything and MRJ and McCaffrey are rooks (and the latter is probably better suited to the slot, though we’ll see).  I think they’re in the same sort of situation as last year when we brought in Pringle.  And lastly, you wanna be able to give your receivers breathers in-game, especially the outside guys that are playing more snaps.  Maybe one of the current guys will be able to provide that, but I doubt the staff feels comfortable assuming that will be the case.

Edited by skinny21