Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

No there were 100% people worried that all of his success was because of the great team around him. Trust me lol. The conversations got so repetitive that anyone with a fully functioning brain without any kind of chemical dependency would have stopped reading them. But I was here 🥲

100% disagree there were many reasons. There was posting over and over when comparing with Maye and the team around him.  Just as many were about his frame and style of running and leaving the pocket to early and taking big hits, did he want to be here, and.........He did have the best team around him hard to deny that but that is not the only reason. The main factor for me was running style and Body taking NFL hits while doing it. But he has impressed me since he has been here as the player and person he is.  He is dedicated to the team, works hard, comes prepared, has leadership skills and I believe in the people who picked him to be their QB. So far so good. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

100% disagree there were many reasons. There was posting over and over when comparing with Maye and the team around him.  Just as many were about his frame and style of running and leaving the pocket to early and taking big hits, did he want to be here, and.........He did have the best team around him hard to deny that but that is not the only reason. The main factor for me was running style and Body taking NFL hits while doing it. But he has impressed me since he has been here as the player and person he is.  He is dedicated to the team, works hard, comes prepared, has leadership skills and I believe in the people who picked him to be their QB. So far so good. 

I don't really follow the highlighted sentence (its been a long day, I couldn't be more drained -- Drake Mayes mom joke here) but other than that I feel like I agree with you. 

I personally am going to be worried about his body size until he retires. Griffin cut me that deep. But I am not as worried that if he loses his legs that he wont be able to evolve his game. Griffin was done. He had nothing else. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

JJ was always going to be a project. Could not believe the hype he was getting towards the draft. Glad Jefferson got that pay day because his numbers aren’t going to look nearly the same when he has JJ throwing to him :lol: 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

JJ was always going to be a project. Could not believe the hype he was getting towards the draft. Glad Jefferson got that pay day because his numbers aren’t going to look nearly the same when he has JJ throwing to him :lol: 

Just means they gonna throw the ball to him more lol

2 hours ago, BayouBrave86 said:

He threw like 8 passes a game. Dude being considered a top 10 pick was a scam.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BayouBrave86 said:

They might win more games though?  Kirk and Jefferson do not have rings only disappointment but they have made a lot of money.  J.J. has been know to be a winner, just saying. No rush just sit him till he is ready if they chose. Time will answer everything and who was right to hype or not hype all the rookie QB's. 11 on 11 OTA's mini camps for rookies are not going to decide the future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

"Winning" is not a skill that translates from level to level.

Mahomes didn't win squat in college.

It can.  Mississippi State was a mid major program that was momentarily in the top five while Prescott was the QB.  Similarly, Jalen Hurts has been a winner in multiple places, to where you have to say he wasn't the one being carried by Alabama.  Some guys like them have special intangibles that seem to translate into high winning percentages everywhere they go.  That said, JJ McCarthy has to prove he can win while being the guy for his team, which is definitely a question for him considering how loaded that Michigan program was.

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

It can.  Mississippi State was a mid major program that was momentarily in the top five while Prescott was the QB.  Similarly, Jalen Hurts has been a winner in multiple places, to where you have to say he wasn't the one being carried by Alabama.  Some guys like them have special intangibles that seem to translate into high winning percentages everywhere they go.  That said, JJ McCarthy has to prove he can win while being the guy for his team, which is definitely a question for him considering how loaded that Michigan program was.

I'll give you Dak but Hurts played for two blue blood programs.

A lot of the best QBs in the NFL now were not big time winners in college. It is not really something that translates like say poise, decision making, arm strength, accuracy etc. 

Posted (edited)

That State team started hot in a down year for the SEC. Their big time wins weren’t that impressive at the end of the season. LSU, A&M, and Auburn all finished the season unranked. Fools gold. Sort of like the Norv Turner Skins teams :(  I think saying Dak is a winner is being very very generous to him. Dallas will never win any meaningful game in the playoffs with him under center. I hope they give him a monster deal. And Cousins, well yeah we know who he is. I just don’t see it with JJ either. It makes me shudder thinking how under Snyder we probably would’ve drafted him. He shows up to OTAs and is missing receivers left and right and then we have to hang our hope on a season or two down the line. Instead, we finally got the home run player in the draft and will be able to point and laugh at Chicago, Minnesota etc. soon enough. 

ETA: Auburn finished 22nd

Hurts is a winner even though I think he’s extremely overrated as a passer and has been figured out a bit. His work ethic is unmatched and his team goes to war for him. Could see him winning a SB one day as much as it pains me to say. He did everything he could vs the Chiefs in the SB to win that game. His defense let him down. Always respected how Hurts has gone about business. Never complained after losing his job to Tua. Goes to Oklahoma and balls out with CeeDee. 

JJ is literally Daniel Jones 2.0. Game managers at the NCAA level don’t turn into franchise QBs in this new pass heavy era. You know who else was a winner in college? Jason Campbell :lol: 

Edited by BayouBrave86
  • Like 1

So we're to the part of the offseason where we are judging the rookies based on a few mini camps and OTAs.

Let me know when we get to the part where someone gets injured and we think the season is doomed, but the UDFA sweetheart is going to save our season, and then he gets cut and we're heartbroken :ols:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

So we're to the part of the offseason where we are judging the rookies based on a few mini camps and OTAs.

Let me know when we get to the part where someone gets injured and we think the season is doomed, but the UDFA sweetheart is going to save our season, and then he gets cut and we're heartbroken :ols:

I don't know if judging is the right word. People are excited that Daniels at least looks the part early. I've always been of the opinion that the good players show it right away and then get better and better. On the flip side, you really shouldn't be sucking this early and if you are, its a really bad sign.

Daniels is showing good signs though. The team is responding to him. He's coming in early to get his studying in. And physically he looks the part and isn't like completely missing throws or looking lost.

Ultimately it doesn't mean that much, but we're in the dog days now until training camp.

• Like 4

This part of the offseason is to start to get a feel for the offense and associated personnel he will be working with; nothing more, nothing less.

I don't think there is any reason to read too much into it either way.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KDawg said:

Would you like a sandwich while you wait?

😈

• Haha 7

13 hours ago, KDawg said:

It's ES. 

It's what we do.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 6/6/2024 at 6:11 PM, BayouBrave86 said:

We will see I guess. JJ can ball. And he is a winner. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

To be semi serious on a similar point to my last post:

A rookie looking good right now is absolutely a good sign. But a rookie looking bad really doesn’t matter at this point. After OTAs they have a month away. They will study film and get more acquainted with the playbook.

If they look improved in camp then it’s a non issue. If they look similar it may wind up okay but you want them to continuously improve during. If they’re worse you have an issue.

Edited by KDawg

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

A rookie looking good right now is absolutely a good sign. But a rookie looking bad really doesn’t matter at this point. After OTAs they have a month away. They will study film and get more acquainted with the playbook.

If they look improved in camp then it’s a non issue. If they look similar it may wind up okay but you want them to continuously improve during. If they’re worse you have an issue.

Do you think it matters at all what his teammates are saying about him? 

I don’t really. I mean it would be nice but at this point I feel like I have heard it all about every guy. I’m trying to compare it to Kirk, the only guy we can point to and say we KNOW he had it, but it’s hard finding quotes about Kirk from training camp now. Everything I do find is about work ethic and while I do think that was Kirks real skill, it all seems too “Burgundy Glasses” that I’m not even sure it matters either.  

26 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I don’t really. I mean it would be nice but at this point I feel like I have heard it all about every guy. I’m trying to compare it to Kirk, the only guy we can point to and say we KNOW he had it, but it’s hard finding quotes about Kirk from training camp now. Everything I do find is about work ethic and while I do think that was Kirks real skill, it all seems too “Burgundy Glasses” that I’m not even sure it matters either.  

It can. But no, not really.

If they are genuine it matters… but we don’t know if it is or isn’t.

Though I’d say Daniels is getting some pretty in depth praise with some details in there so I tend to think it’s genuine and it matters.

But these guys aren’t throwing anyone under the bus this early into their rookie year. So you have to consider we don’t know their true intentions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Kirk was the for sure backup if not 3rd string his rookie year. He had no attention paid to him.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I know we are about to look at a month of down time where the players are away with their families and on their own with their playbooks, but how much time are players allowed to spend at the facility in the company and tutelage of coaches and staff during this time? Is the facility closed? Are coaches off limits? I know the CBA sets limits on what can be asked by a team of it's players, but if the players initiate the contact with the coaches, why cant they work all summer with them? Or can they? Thanks KD

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Listening to Logan Paulsen's latest podcast.

Doubled down that its early.  But he's really liked what Jayden has shown thus far.    He's talked about his release (one of the quickest he's seen in his years being in the league and around the league), delivery-footwork looks more impressive in person than what he saw on tape which he was also impressed by.  Impressed by how cool and calm he is in the pocket.

But what he highlighted this time is situation awareness.  They were practicing some down and distance situations and Jayden came off very aware of what he needed to do in that context.  He said in contrast Haskins (RIP) and RG3 didn't always have hot situational awareness.   

He talked about Brandon Coleman some.  He said he looked good in pass protect so far in the reps he's watched, his issue has been at times oversetting.

For me, I need to go to camp, hopefully I have the time to do it.   Will see.  But IMO you can see things in camp that have bearing on later on.  Especially with the QBs because at a minimum you can see their velocity and accuracy on display. And for me I can compare and contast because I've watched enough camp over a long period of time to do it.   Nothing crazy insightful -- its all layman's stuff but even for a layman I find I can see enough to get a feel for the QB, 

Eons back in camp Kirk looked sharp, I know some at the time thought I was in the tank for him so they looked at my take skeptically but that's genuinely how he looked.  I try no to let predispositions impinge on my observations.  In that same camp, I posted here the reports from the WP about Colt McCoy having this new brand new arm after working on arm strength -- looked like complete BS after watching him in camp.  I saw Haskins (RIP) struggle.   Heinice-Fitz were wildly inconsistent.   Howell wasn't hot in the one practice I watched but it was only one practice so that's not a good enough sample size and heard he had a decent camp overall.

I got to go to camp, am super curious to watch Daniels, hopefully I'll find the time 😎

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6