Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

Nowadays, offensive coordinators prioritize tailoring their strategies to better support their young quarterbacks, to the extent that it's almost an expectation for the coach to do so. Just imagine suggesting this trend a decade or two ago.

If Jayden Daniels encounters difficulties in his rookie season, it's less probable he'll become a star in the league. However, the beauty of an elite dual-threat quarterback lies in their ability to struggle as a passer initially while still making a significant impact on the game, rivaling or even surpassing some of your favorite QBs ranked between 8th and 25th in the league, all while continuing to learn.

Conversations surrounding the quarterback position have shifted over the years, moving away from merely discussing statistics and a bit more towards assessing impact—a term rife with subjectivity but crucial for meaningful dialogue.I do value some stats at the QB spot such as, TD passes, that’s often pretty reliable. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Y'all are bringing up examples of 10-20+ years ago. I'm talking about NOW. Yeah there are exceptions like Geno Smith, but even then that looks like a one year abberation(he was pretty much "meh" last year which is why they wanted to trade for Howell).

If you look at the best players in the NFL now(not just QBs), they pretty much all hit the ground running, or at the very least kinda sorda looked the part early. Josh Allen is probably the only one who legitimately looked bad early on before turning into a star.

Its very rare to find a guy who is like a bottom 5 QB early and then turns into a star in today's NFL.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of said:

What Brady shows is more that your numbers overall, especially if hemmed in by talent/system, are less important than how you deliver in the most important moments, as well as "good" level consistency in the rest of your play

I think that's true, but I also think it's true that what constitutes good quarterbacking depends on the situation.  There are situations where much more of the burden of individual playmaking is on the QB, and playing the way Brady played in say, 2003 in NE wouldn't have led to wins, much less a 14-2 super bowl season.

It's definitely a mistake to put too much weight in individual playmaking ability when trying to come up with standards and comparisons of elite QB play.  But it's also definitely a huge part of the formula, and it's probably even more of a mistake to overweight more intangible factors like history of team success when assessing QBs.  And most great QBs eventually reach a point in their careers where they can shoulder a massive portion of the playmaking burden too.  If Brady had just stayed the guy he was in 2003 and hadn't become a totally dominant passer in 2007, then he wouldn't be the GOAT.  And NE probably doesn't keep competing for SBs for the next ten years as the league evolved and that totally dominant defense dispersed.

Even trying to define what constitutes good "individual playmaking" at the position is super difficult and subjective though.  How does the kind of playmaking that Lamar Jackson has done weigh against what Aaron Rodgers did?  They are extremely different.  Jackson can't do what Rodgers did, and Rodgers can't do what Jackson did, but each style was the foundation of their team's offense and led to MVP awards.

Putting a rookie QB in a good situation definitely helps.

Some people don't think Jay Gruden's opinion is worth anything, but he went against consensus last year and preferred CJ Stroud to Bryce Young.  Its been a way but I believe his thought process is CJ Stroud has a quick release, gets the ball out on time, and has excellent accuracy at all three levels.  If I as a play caller can scheme guys open he'll do well.  Bryce Young is good out of structure and can make some anticipation throws, but there is just more unknowns with him.

This year he preferred Jayden Daniels to Drake Maye (though he indicated he thought Maye's ceiling was higher) and basically said he liked Daniels because he was more fundamentally sound in his mechanics and his running ability will open things in the pass game  (don't think he went into detail but I am assuming he is thinking Daniels will force defenses to play a high percentage of single high coverages because the QB read zone run will create a number advantage for the Commanders in the run game because one defender will have to account for Daniels meaning there is one less defender to go after the running back and putting a safety in the box is one way to even up the numbers against the run and in the pass game as Bill Belichick said on the Pat McAfee show during the draft when we drafted Daniels, you are going to want to spy him in the pass game and really the only way to spy and still rush four is to play single high coverages), so Gruden thought game planning the pass game would be easier for Daniels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Nowadays, offensive coordinators prioritize tailoring their strategies to better support their young quarterbacks, to the extent that it's almost an expectation for the coach to do so. Just imagine suggesting this trend a decade or two ago.

The idea that you are gonna stick with your system and not adapt to the maturity and skillset of your QB is kinda mind boggling 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

With the reports of Caleb Williams struggling in practice yesterday.....I'm so glad we got Jayden Daniels instead of him.    If anything Jayden has been consistent every time he's out there.    That's exactly what we need! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

I'm so glad we got Jayden Daniels instead of him.

Keim also doubled-down on something he had said previously, but now with more emphasis (from his most recent pod with Bram Weinstein, referencing a future interview with Louis Riddick):

". . . I think a lot more. . . I think there was a close gap between Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels. . you know the more people I talk to [...] I think it was–that gap was closer than it was between Jayden and the others."

Edited by sinews
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, srtman04 said:

With the reports of Caleb Williams struggling in practice yesterday.....I'm so glad we got Jayden Daniels instead of him.    If anything Jayden has been consistent every time he's out there.    That's exactly what we need! 

I think the fact that he's only like barely 6'1'' might be an issue. Height still matters.

• Like 2

New Keim podcast with Bram combining it with another Bram broadcast

A.  Daniels according to Keim based on those he spoke to around the league was seen as close to Caleb as a prospect.  The gap much closer between Caleb and Jayden as opposed to Jayden and those next rung of QBs.  Again again according to people he talked to around the league.

B.  Daniels is a quick study which is evident.  Bram mentioned Howell in his rookie year didn't come off like he absorbed the offense the way Jayden seems to now

C.  RG3 (this is Bram saying this) had the ego and carried himself like a star. Keim mentioned he almost had like a bodyguard around him (from the team) so he wasn't approachable.  Jayden a different cat.

D.  Usual work ethic praise

E.  Very decisive as a player in practice

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Did we actually get ourselves a guy?

I think we got ourselves a guy.

I wanna believe....

I can't remember where, maybe Sheehan who did a segment from a  Jeremy Fowler quote who said the people he's talked to at the park say they finally got their QB. 

So yup, they got "a guy"  lol

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I can't remember where, maybe Sheehan who did a segment from a  Jeremy Fowler quote who said the people he's talked to at the park say they finally got their QB. 

So yup, they got "a guy"  lol

I know it shouldn't matter but there's a significant part of me that when we have our franchise quarterback and are a winning franchise again is going to revel in the knowledge that it'll be eating dan snyder up that the new regime accomplished in a couple years what he could hardly sniff in 25.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I wanna believe....

So far,  we're hearing all the right things.    I'm encouraged.   

1 hour ago, srtman04 said:

Technically, Williams was never in play for us. We didn't have choice between Williams or JD. It was always between JD and Maye. So, be glad the FO and the coaches saw JD as a better prospect over Maye (even though the gap between those two was small). Hopefully, we have ourselves a franchise QB that this team hasn't seen in eons. 

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

Technically, Williams was never in play for us. We didn't have choice between Williams or JD. It was always between JD and Maye. So, be glad the FO and the coaches saw JD as a better prospect over Maye (even though the gap between those two was small). Hopefully, we have ourselves a franchise QB that this team hasn't seen in eons. 

The Bears could have pulled a 180 and taken Jayden instead...despite all of the reports.   Thank God that didn't happen....

• Like 2

Just now, srtman04 said:

The Bears could have pulled a 180 and taken Jayden instead...despite all of the reports.   Thank God that didn't happen....

Kinda hard to do that when they only had 1 QB visit. They didn't have any visit with JD or any other QBs for that matter. The Bears wanted Williams. It was etched on a stone that they were going to select Williams. 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

It's probably a little premature for that.

I'm more optimistic in the fact that all of our coaching staff is top notch.   No one was fired somewhere else and then came here.   Everyone in place literally left very good situations to come here completely voluntary....  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I wanna believe....

I want to believe too.  But, many of us Maye guys had specific reasons we were against JD.  Three specifically for me, cannot be answered/put aside until we are multiple games into the season.  The three are:

1) Can JD handle the NFL level hits?

2) Will JD ignore the middle of the field when choosing his targets?

3) Will JD be a run first QB when he has pressure?

All signs, so far have been very positive although the reporting seems a bit biased.  The other day they reported the ball was almost never hitting the ground.  Sounds good, but reading closely, the reporter implied that JD threw a couple INTs.  

I am pretty sure that by camp, I will be thinking we are SB bound.  

• Like 1

Signs for JD are positive so far, but we should probably pump our breaks on the "OMG he's better than Caleb!"

It's the first week of OTAs

I get that people are on the hype train but we should probably wait until we see in-game action before letting ourselves get carried away.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zCommander said:

Sounds like around the league, the gap between Daniels and Maye wasn’t small at all. And that for Peters, it was McCarthy closest to Daniels, not Maye. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Signs for JD are positive so far, but we should probably pump our breaks on the "OMG he's better than Caleb!"

It's the first week of OTAs

I get that people are on the hype train but we should probably wait until we see in-game action before letting ourselves get carried away.

Nope, just get on the hype train :)

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Sounds like around the league, the gap between Daniels and Maye wasn’t small at all. And that for Peters, it was McCarthy closest to Daniels, not Maye. 

Pretty clear it wasn’t close at all isn’t it.

• Like 2