Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

25 minutes ago, illone said:

There are always surprise teams that rise and fall without warning. 

Dallas could suck. Tampa overachieved last year. Saints. Seahawks. Plenty of question marks around the league.

I just see too much roster and coaching improvement in Washington to expect another debacle like last year. Dude they lost 8 games in a row LOL.

But all the teams are improving every year and I don't think we improved anything at DL, DB, or significantly enough at OL to make it matter, nor at the playmaking positions. Color me skeptical. We added some help that should matter at LB, and at interior OL in particular. I agree we helped ourselves in FA, but how much and how much in comparison to the teams around us. I think this thing is gonna take a lot of time. We rock bottomed last year, its not gonna get fixed that quick to me. Its possible, every year teams come out of nowhere, and some have argued we could be one: I can see the narrative, but I'm highly skeptical. I think we were 8 or 9 week at OL, not just a couple of starting OL's, I think we were 3 starters week and our entire reserve for cluster injuries was largely ---. Any OL injuries to the wrong guys and we're back in the ---- and as last year illustrated, part of what makes OL's good is integration as a group over time and reps, it will take a while to get unit to cohere and that's if they're healthy. I'm just mighty skeptical the OL will be great, the pass catching will rebound, the rb room will be great, the edge rushers are much weaker, the interior DL is older, probably not better, we got a nice LB, but the secondary is still a problem. This still looks like a bottom quarter of the league team to me. Even w/an easy schedule other teams that aren't great view us as one of the "win's" just as we view them. I see 5 or 6 wins. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I do not see why the Raiders would want to trade their physical TE, just because they drafted a 235lb TE who runs like a WR. They should use them both. The did not get a QB yesterday Minshew is going to need the help and they will most likely run the ball more.

It's a misallocation of resources. The Raiders need A LOT of stuff including QB and plenty more positional groups. Having two of their past 3 top picks be TE's is not terribly helpful. Sure, they could use them like Gronk and Aaron Hernandez, that's an idea, or they could use Mayer more as an in line guy which seems a waste, but I think it would make more sense for them to trade him, but honestly, if they were gonna do that, they already would have. Bowers was always gonna go somewhere between 9-20 and the Raiders was in that window of teams, but it is wasteful to use that much draft capital on TE's when you aren't an elite team already like the Pats were when they took Gronk and Hernandez on day 2 nearly 15 years ago.

But will they trade him? I doubt it. But teams should call, because they need a lot to fix that roster, and Mayer's value just got cut in half w/the arrival of Bowers. 

• Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Well if our OL coaches track record is any indicator, strap in boys and girls it’s going to be a bumpy ride. Good thing we’ve got a mobile QB

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Veretax said:

Dejean ran a 4.45 and 4.42
Kool aid ran a 4.47 I think
Rakestraw 4.51
MAx melton might have had a 4.39
TJ Tampa 4.52
DJ James 4.42

Kool Aid ran his 40 with a broken foot. You can bet he is faster than that

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

DeJean is a better player period.  Kool-Aid is pretty good, but DeJean is one of the special players of the class.

If he is that special, I hope they are trying to trade up for him.

34 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Color me skeptical.

Can't blame anyone for skepticism. I'm with you on all the holes in the roster, I just think the DQ effect will have these guys playing harder for 60 minutes and this upcoming season will be the true "Snyder purge" emotional bump. I took the "over 6.5 wins" last season but perhaps I was a year early.

Several losses last year were simply due to packing up and giving up before the game was over. I can't see that happening with this staff, especially with how Peters structured all these free agent "prove it" deals. Dont you think some of these players might actually "prove it?" 

I'd be happy AF with another high draft pick in 2025. Esp with Milroe and the Sanders kid most likely declaring. Could put us in prime position to trade out and acquire a "central bank" haul...

THe issue many of us discovered late was

the 8 first rd talent OTs nto all are good LT fits a few were RT our potential swing, but not Trent WIlliams esque.

There are some other tackles their talent ceiling will be lower.

25 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

If he is that special, I hope they are trying to trade up for him.

Yeah it could make sense to do that.  But might not have to if the Bills draft a WR.  Next pick is probably either Suamataia or McConkey, and then it's just one slot to go before our pick.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I want to reiterate: The online draft community is sleeping on Kam Kinchens and they shouldn't be.

[]_[]

Yeah he's good.  I've got him 92 on my board, but I can see a case for him going earlier.  I think he goes in the third round.

My favorite safety is Vaki.  That dude is clean.  Flies around the field, but goes in for tackles under control.  He's super young, and plays both sides of the ball.  He's kind of the poor man's version of DeJean.

3 hours ago, illone said:

In theory Aiyuk makes sense to pair him with his best buddy Jayden, but it’s just not practical. 

That guy is going to need money in the Aj Brown/Amon Ra range. 

Probably not prudent for a rebuilding team that is getting younger and not doling out those types of contracts. 

2 years, $30mm would be feasible but no way Aiyuk does that. 

See, I don't mind the money right now, because we have the space and a rookie contract QB. Now is the time to have money invested in skill position guys you KNOW produce so that way the QB can hit the ground running and learn with some solid training wheels. The fact he already has a great report with Aiuyuk is a bonus.

I'm looking for my WR of the future in year 3-5 of JD’s tenure rather than hoping to find him in this draft. Why?

Because that spaces out the contracts instead of bunching them up and forcing tough decisions. You pair Aiyuk with Terry now. Their contracts start to fall off the books around the time you have to sign JD to his next big deal. You go looking for the future WR in those later years so that he comes due a few years after you've done the JD move. 

To me, the progression is setup to make BA make a ton of sense now. Go with the closer to a sure thing that can help the new guy acclimate rather than rolling the dice. 

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Frankly, I don't think SF will trade him.  I think they'll end up trading Deebo instead, and that's a deal that interests me too.  He would need to be a lot cheaper than Aiyuk though.

I wouldn't really want Deebo. The benefits Aiyuk brings (the connection with JD, being two years younger, less wear and tear) are worth the money and the move for us. I don't think that applies with Deebo

34 minutes ago, illone said:

It's a long shot, but if Newton is there I think you HAVE to take him at 36.

There are several players like that. Such as both corners.

30 minutes ago, alaroche04 said:

You can play DeJean at multiple spots in the secondary and he returns kicks.  Get that man.

Yeah, we have no idea how important (or not) a good kick returner is with the kickoff overhaul.

I doubt Wash will find a starting LT In the draft this year. I would bet they do find a veteran after the draft or after cut downs at least for this year and try to develop a guy.

Current FA options are:

Bakhtiari

Duane Brown

Danavon Smith

......Not too inspiring 

Edited by oraphus

2 minutes ago, oraphus said:

I doubt Wash will find a starting LT In the draft this year. I would bet they do find a veteran after the draft or after cut downs at least for this year and try to develop a guy.

Current FA options are:

Bakhtiari

Duane Brown

Danavon Smith

......Not too inspiring 

I agree; hope we are going best player available in the second and third.  We could get some great talent.

31 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah it could make sense to do that.  But might not have to if the Bills draft a WR.  Next pick is probably either Suamataia or McConkey, and then it's just one slot to go before our pick.

True, but other teams could be looking to leapfrog us for him.

16 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

I wouldn't really want Deebo. The benefits Aiyuk brings (the connection with JD, being two years younger, less wear and tear) are worth the money and the move for us. I don't think that applies with Deebo

Deebo would be cheaper to trade for though.  And looks like his salary the next two years isn't too bad, at 21 million and 17 million respectively.  The fact that Daniels played with Aiyuk before is nice, but it's not essential.  If SF doesn't put Aiyuk up for trade, then we don't really have a lot of choice.

There aren't that many All Pro receivers hitting the market, and getting one would be tremendously helpful to our young QB.  I wouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, let's bring in a big fish and turbo-charge the offense.

• Like 2

Just now, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I had nothing against the Vikings previously but man I don’t like this kid. 

He’s corny in a way that his teammates may resent, because he hasn’t earned anything in the league. Won a championship on a stacked college team and buys his own hype as a winner as he enters the NFL? Yikes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

He’s corny in a way that his teammates may resent, because he hasn’t earned anything in the league. Won a championship on a stacked college team and buys his own hype as a winner as he enters the NFL? Yikes. 

I got a good laugh from this. If the stuff about his competitiveness and clutchness show up early in the year, they'll all be buying. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Current FA options are:

Bakhtiari

Duane Brown

Danavon Smith

......Not too inspiring 

They will take flyer on Becton 

Where did the trade for Aiyuk chatter come from? I see it on every other page. Is this just a scenario we created on ES?

Why would we trade for him? Let Peters find some new guys. Our guys. Build a young core. That trade feels like the definition of a short cut. 

• Like 3