Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

To me, trading for Aiyuk is a no-brainer, depending on the asking price.  But I'd be surprised about getting that kind of deal done during the draft, given how late it came onto the radar.  You've got to sort out compensation and an extension before you can pull the trigger, and that'll take a while.

Frankly, I don't think SF will trade him.  I think they'll end up trading Deebo instead, and that's a deal that interests me too.  He would need to be a lot cheaper than Aiyuk though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I'm in the camp of calling Buffalo to try and get to 33 for Kingsley Suamataia.  I do not want the Patriots to grab him.  36 and mid-round change isn't too big a price to pay for the last first round caliber OT on the board.

We can recoup the value by moving down from 40.  If you get to ~55, that's Cooper Beebe or Blake Corum range.

Heck, Jerry basically telegraphed that the boys love Brooks.  If Jerry offered 56+87 for 40, I'd do it.

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

To me, trading for Aiyuk is a no-brainer, depending on the asking price.  But I'd be surprised about getting that kind of deal done during the draft, given how late it came onto the radar.  You've got to sort out compensation and an extension before you can pull the trigger, and that'll take a while.

Frankly, I don't think SF will trade him.  I think they'll end up trading Deebo instead, and that's a deal that interests me too.  He would need to be a lot cheaper than Aiyuk though.

I think Deebo to NE makes a ton of sense for the Pats.  They get a vet WR to help Drake and they have the cap space to take him in.  

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

The following teams could still take OL in R2:

NE (34)

AZ (35) (more IOL)

Wash (36) (duh)

Ten (38) (Still need a bookend, although I think this is unlikely to be fair)

Wash (40) (duh)

Vegas (44) (badly needs a RT)

Saints (45) (Penning has been a bust.  Fuaga is only a RT)

Philly (50) (Need a Lane replacement)

Philly (53) (See above)

Miami (55) (Armstead is near the end)

SF (61) (Have nothing besides Trent who could retire after the year anyways)

KC (62) (Need a LT badly).

I can't recall the last time I saw a team double up on OL help in round 1 and 2, but I'm sure if I dug I could find examples. I just don't think Tennessee, and New Orleans are risks, there is so much building both need to do. I think we can afford to move down to late 40's, Philly could be a risk in the 50's, especially w/two picks. Additionally it's worth noting, it is not like teams won't consider trading into the top 40 or 45 to get the last of the OL's they like in their tier.

I'll acknowledge that. But personally, the way the board is looking, I'd use 40 to move down, and take best available at 36. Admittedly if Dejean is gone, and Ladd is gone, and Kool Aid is med flagged, maybe we just take Paul or trade down. There are situations in which I could see taking Paul, but my priority based upon whats happened at OL is to take advantage of teams having already addressed it, and wait into at least the mid 40's, and if all our best OT guys are gone, just wait outright until 67. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I'm very hopeful we finish bottoming out in '24 with a 5 win season, maybe 4 (I can deal with 6) and then consider approaching .500+ in '25 (hopefully pick 8-14 in the '26 class if the build is working).

Hard to do without Rivera in the building. 😂

Bottom schedule with just the current free agents this squad is easily 6-8 wins depending how the QB does. Hard to think we can duplicate last years win total with better coaching, scheme, and QB play. 

That said, I dont think there is any pressure from ownership to win in ‘24 so four wins would be fine by me. Might be the only way to secure a top flight left tackle. 

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

For me it's a no way, I agree on Deebo, and I think SF probably offers him a pot of gold deal on a short term through his age 28 season if they can pull it off, so they have more $$$ to pay Purdy when he is a FA in '26 or '27. At that point, maybe they let Aiyuk go. That's what I'd do, take advantage of Purdy cheaply controlled through '25, maybe front load Aiyuk's deal to make space for Purdy's second deal, and try to find draft replacements for Deebo this year and Aiyuk from '25-'26. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

They already got Quinyon though.  Would they still trade so much to get another corner?

If Kingsley is off the board, then I definitely explore those trade down scenarios though.  Kool-Aid is good, but I'd rather have two mid seconds for freaking sure.

Maybe, Ringo and Ricks didn't pop too much last year for them. 

1 minute ago, illone said:

Hard to do without Rivera in the building. 😂

Bottom schedule with just the current free agents this squad is easily 6-8 wins depending how the QB does. Hard to think we can duplicate last years win total with better coaching, scheme, and QB play. 

That said, I dont think there is any pressure from ownership to win in ‘24 so four wins would be fine by me. Might be the only way to secure a top flight left tackle. 

I dont think 8 wins is even close to in the cards. Vegas put us at 6.5 supposedly, Im not sure where people will bet it, but I would suspect its an avoid because nobody buys 7-10, and people will be afraid that they're better than 5-12 team. I'd take the under on 6.5. 

My Ceiling projection: 8-9

My Expectation: 6-11

My Floor: 4-13

I tend to think we're gonna win 5 or 6, with maybe a 20-25% of an outlier 7 win season. 

I think we'll end up picking between 7th-13th next year. But top 5 is possible. 

Rock Bottom teams even worse than us: Carolina, New England, Tennessee-maybe, Oakland-maybe (the QB issue), Denver-maybe (the QB issue).....

Am I forgetting anyone? Maybe NYG, anyone else? 

12 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I can't recall the last time I saw a team double up on OL help in round 1 and 2, but I'm sure if I dug I could find examples. I just don't think Tennessee, and New Orleans are risks, there is so much building both need to do. I think we can afford to move down to late 40's, Philly could be a risk in the 50's, especially w/two picks. Additionally it's worth noting, it is not like teams won't consider trading into the top 40 or 45 to get the last of the OL's they like in their tier.

I'll acknowledge that. But personally, the way the board is looking, I'd use 40 to move down, and take best available at 36. Admittedly if Dejean is gone, and Ladd is gone, and Kool Aid is med flagged, maybe we just take Paul or trade down. There are situations in which I could see taking Paul, but my priority based upon whats happened at OL is to take advantage of teams having already addressed it, and wait into at least the mid 40's, and if all our best OT guys are gone, just wait outright until 67. 

My big thing is OT is a major problem no getting around that. We did not sign anyone in off season. We need to add some top potential to the oline especially at OT.

I am ok 36 taking BPA. There are guys who drop and you have to take advantage of that. At 40 we need to take a shot at the Byu Ot or Paul.

These two at 40 are not over drafted they have potential to be top guys. The next tier of guys is a step down. With NIL the late part of the draft does not have the talent it use to have. We need to get OT help these guys could be it. At 40 these are great picks.

Edited by Redskins 2021

45 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

Probably shouldnt have slept. Im more upset now than last night.....

The bad news is only like 35% of the picks will work out league wide.

The good news is you know less than the guys that only get 35% right. 

Rest easy brother.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I dont think 8 wins is even close to in the cards. Vegas put us at 6.5 supposedly, Im not sure where people will bet it, but I would suspect its an avoid because nobody buys 7-10, and people will be afraid that they're better than 5-12 team. I'd take the under on 6.5. 

My Ceiling projection: 8-9

My Expectation: 6-11

My Floor: 4-13

I tend to think we're gonna win 5 or 6, with maybe a 20-25% of an outlier 7 win season. 

I think we'll end up picking between 7th-13th next year. But top 5 is possible. 

Rock Bottom teams even worse than us: Carolina, New England, Tennessee-maybe, Oakland-maybe (the QB issue), Denver-maybe (the QB issue).....

Am I forgetting anyone? Maybe NYG, anyone else? 

So much can happen with injuries and we have 6 rounds of draft and another wave of free agency. Impossible to project really - but wins is not how this season should be judged anyway. It’s all about the development of Daniels.

All that said I would say the Panthers, Patriots, Titans, Raiders, Giants, Broncos and Cardinals are in worse shape than us.

I would add the Jets if Rodger’s can’t come back from the achilees or gets carried away in the rapture …

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

Thanks, admittedly I am largely "confused" at what the hell the rule changes mean, I just get the sense that they are trying to deemphasize collisions for player safety, and it would not surprise me if they got rid of it entirely except for field goals in the next decade. 

Bro, you and me both, lol.  

Man, DeJean would be such an astonishingly good value pick at 36, that if he is there, I would take him over any available option.  Even over Kingsley and Beebe.  And no way I'd trade out of the pick.  I am not going to get my hopes up for him though.  Every year we get excited about juicy value pick fallers in the second and third round, and every year they either get picked right before our slot or we end up passing them over for the Phidarian Mathis, Ryan Anderson, or Jarvis Jenkins monster reach.  Only time we have ever gotten it right was Cosmi.

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I can't recall the last time I saw a team double up on OL help in round 1 and 2, but I'm sure if I dug I could find examples.

Not 1 and 2, but in 1981 we drafted May in rd 1 and Grimm in rd 3.  (Also picked up another OG later on named Darryl Grant.  He was such a bad fit for the OL that his biggest career highlight was high-stepping into the end zone as a DT with a pick-6 against Dallas to seal the victory in 1982 NFC Championship.  :->>>)   Kids (and that's too many of you here), RIGHT NOW, pull that play up on Youtube and marvel at what us Gen-Xers grew up with as Skins fans.  Note:  that same 1981 draft we drafted the guy who tipped the ball that Grant picked off -- the indomitable (and at the time illiterate) Dexter Manley.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, method man said:

I just don’t get good vibes about Sua. Something about him screams underachiever

Feels like we’ve caught a glimmer or a hint of that in reports.  Combined with his rawness, there’s a concern there for sure.  I guess I’d hope that surrounding factors can make a significant impact - hard-nosed guys around him, what looks to be a sea change in culture (hopefully for real this time), and coaching that DQ has emphasized must come from connecting to the player.  

Would like to add a high end pass rusher to help the other DEs challenge whoever our tackles are.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

DeJean is probably going to be pick #33 and Suamataia is probably going to be #34.  If the Cardinals go pure BPA at 35, the. It'll be Johnny Newton.

Corum and Beebe would be my BPAs, but no one has them as high as me.  I think Kool-Aid will be the clear consensus BPA candidate at 36.  Either him or Jackson Powers Johnson.  My favorite play is to take Kool-Aid or trade back.

I am with you on Corum and Beebe. My only hesitation with Corum is we have two backs and while I absolutely think we should go BPA it depends if Kool-Aid/Dejean are on the board. 

I wouldn’t hesitate to draft Corum. I think he’s going to be really good in the NFL and paired with JD could make for a pretty lethal running attack. I just don’t think we do it and I’m not sure I would if I was the GM. But I’d love it nonetheless.