Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

2 hours ago, Lovi said:

He looked fine before his injury and never looked the same after. Whether that means he will rebound or not I have no idea but I can tell you for sure he was not stable for my fantasy team!

Well, he played 1 game well, was out for a month and then returned, and was hot garbage the rest of the season. Could it be the ankle? Maybe. I tend to think its more the age. In the final analysis, I don't think it matters one way or another. It's a 1 year deal with an easy dead cap cut after '24 if we want to move on, this is a terrible RB class where the one genuine difference making talent (Brooks) has a torn ACL, it has depth, but the depth is mostly rb's with the upside of what we already have in Robinson, middle of the road talents, so basically the signing allows us to ignore RB in this draft, and focus more on the '25 or '26 class instead. That works for me. I don't want to be using day 2 draft capital on rb's whose ceilings pale in comparison to day 2 selections like Breece Hall, Kenneth Walker, Jonathan Taylor, Swift, Dobbins, Achane, and even Spears (bad knees, but explosive talent-perfect 3rd round target-you get 4 great years and then his knees give out, so don't sweat the second contract). I look at this class, and I don't see ANYONE close to any of those guys other than Brooks, who you have to red shirt until well December probably. So I'm fine with it, I think I can see his thinking, but honestly, I'd rather go after guys with genuine upside and talent and a couple of years left like Dobbins, rather than a guy like Ekeler whose basically just about at the cashing his last check or two stage of his NFL career. 

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I hope the plan is to keep him in the box as much as possible. Because his coverage skills are average at best imo.

At 6-3 220 or there abouts, feels like he play that in the box role. Like Kearse at DAL.

Maybe add 10lbs and play LB ? 

• Like 1

I can’t freakin believe we are literally filling all of our holes in FA and allowing us to enter the draft as pure BPA. It’s surreal, really. 

I don’t know how it’s going to work out but I have a great feeling. Things are truly turning.

• Like 19
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

12 new guys and I'm sure a few more to come...how bad did Ron and Co have/make this roster? As a fan I didn't think it was this bad (looking with blind eyes) but Dan and Peters have said otherwise haha and I'm her for it. 

• Like 3

Just now, KDawg said:

I can’t freakin believe we are literally filling all of our holes in FA and allowing us to enter the draft as pure BPA. It’s surreal, really. 

I don’t know how it’s going to work out but I have a great feeling. Things are truly turning.

This is so dirty but I somehow enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Just now, KDawg said:

Was going to post similar in the draft thread.

OT still lingering, and CB potentially.

But I think we have several more free agency moves to come. We could end up with 15-18 signings here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Whats your take on Chin? I have no idea how Quinn plans to use him. But a one year 5 mill deal seems like a limited role player type contract to me?

Seems like this crew has put in the work and is making purposeful moves. It should be pretty clear by now that this recalibration is intended to put a "professional" product out there and build on that through the acquisition of talent through the draft.

• Like 2

Usually in a rebuild you get rid of all your good players to stockpile draft picks and cap space, and then start building up your program.

In our case, we basically had no good players and already had a bunch of draft picks and cap space, so Peters and Quinn have been able to come in and immediately start building up the program. Maybe that's what they meant by "recalibration" (aside from bog standard PR speak).

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Whats your take on Chin? I have no idea how Quinn plans to use him. But a one year 5 mill deal seems like a limited role player type contract to me?

I like him. I think he's kind of a poor man's Curl. So I think he's a little bit of a downgrade. But he's a NFL starter and we aren't breaking the bank for a good safety.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Had a monster season the season before, ranked 21st best player in the league by his peers.

Had a monster game 1 last season, 117 on the ground, up to 161 total yards, then had a high ankle sprain and wasn't as spry, wasn't the same all season.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers/story/2023-09-27/austin-ekeler-practices-injured-ankle-questionable

Austin Ekeler able to practice just a bit as Chargers’ ground game limps without him

Dealing with a high-ankle sprain suffered in Week 1, Ekeler took part in individual drills and did some running.

“It’s kind of like climbing the stairs,” he said. “You’re not going to just jump to the top stair. You kind of go one by one. 

...“Not being on the field; not being able to help the guys,” Ekeler said when asked what’s been toughest for him. “That’s what we’re here to do. We’re on a mission. We feel like we have everything that we need. …

...“Being on the sidelines and not being able to contribute because of stuff that you can’t control sucks. But it’s part of the game. … I’m doing everything now. It’s my job. ‘Hey, get back. Get back to help these boys out.’ ”

The Chargers have their off week following Sunday, but Ekeler said sitting out against the Raiders to give his injury more time to heal isn’t a consideration.

“When this ankle is ready, it’s ready,” he said. “If it’s tomorrow, if it’s next week, so be it. If I can play this game, I’m going to go out there and help the team.”

I don't care how his peers rank him, I care about that age # and how rb's tend to turn into pumpkins after their age 26 seasons. Ekeler lasted a little longer than most, maybe due to light usage in his early years when he was pulling an Aaron Jones (going from total unknown to most except dynasty people to superstar).

The high ankle sprain is a notorious production killing injury for athletes, so I do consider that angle a possibility. But I've also watched Gurley and Melvin Gordon from '15 slowly flame out after passing the cliff, then the best from '16 slowly fade out (Zeke and Henry) then the '17 guys start to flame out (Cook, Fournette donezo, Mixon and Kamara slowing a bit, McCaffrey still McCaffrey), the '18 group is nearly all gone other than Chubb who got injured again and Barkley whose stock dropped precipitously the last several years. Miles Sanders is now done, Monty and Jacobs are still going, Monty looked good from that '19 class, but Jacobs slowed, probably due to overuse in '22. 

Ekeler is, if I remember right, a UDFA from '17, I think. He's basically running on fumes based on historical trajectories? Could he plow forward longer? Maybe, it was years before he started getting starters carriers, so maybe he has a little bit more runway left before it wraps, otoh, these things still seem to go by the hard #'s, with some outliers. We'll see. I can get really pissed about this sorta thing, but honestly, I don't really care too much. Whether he's done or not, it suits my interests, short deal, not a cap killer, he's a pro, he's fine, there's just not much upside beyond professionalism, which is fine, and avoiding using too much draft capital on genuinely mediocre RB prospects this draft. So if we pass on RB this draft? I'll be from "meh" to definitely, "happier". Save that RB draft capital for '25 or '26, unless we can steal Brooks in round 3 or 4. 

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Was going to post similar in the draft thread.

OT still lingering, and CB potentially.

But I think we have several more free agency moves to come. We could end up with 15-18 signings here.

None of the OT have really signed so I am not worried yet

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Good call on Chinn @Skinsinparadise

Does this close the door on Curl?

Stoked for that signing.  That's been my favorite low cost signing want as I've been clamoring for on this thread.

One of my favs before that draft.  Mega draft crush at that time.   Plays with his hair on fire.

Great early career in the pros then derailed some by injuries.  He's still young.  Excited for this one. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1