Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This isn't saying Creed Humphries could be a FA target for us, right? Because that's one of the only guys I could get excited about.

Hes not a FA. Hes eligible for extension though and the Chiefs will pay him

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Potential backup QB fits (assuming some air raid/spread principles:

Colt McCoy (if he isn’t retired)

Gardner Minshew 

Case Keenum 

Kyle Allen

Mason Rudolph 

Kyle Trask (trade)

any I’m missing?

Just a hunch.  I think Howell is traded for a late 2nd/early 3rd and we draft a QB in the 6th or 7th.  Sam Hartman would be my target.  

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Gardner Minshew 

Case Keenum 

Kyle Allen

Mason Rudolph 

Kyle Trask (trade)

any I’m missing?

Sam Darnold, possibly 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Just a hunch.  I think Howell is traded for a late 2nd/early 3rd and we draft a QB in the 6th or 7th.  Sam Hartman would be my target.  

Good news is the FO won't feel an urgency to dump him off for peanuts if they don't get a decent offer. They can always keep him another year and let him and the rookie draft pick "battle" it out for the starting job.

Of course, that's if they believe Howell can play better than last year's results under incompetent offensive play-calling. If that's the case, you can keep him this year as the backup and provided the rookie QB shows he can lead for the future, you parlay Howell next year. Might as well enjoy the benefit of having to QBs on rookie deals while you continue to build the team around them.

HTTR!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Yeah but I think it’s unlikely we have a rookie as a primary backup to a rookie.  It could happen, we didn’t in 2012, but Grossman was on the roster also.  

4 minutes ago, skinsfan4128 said:

Good news is the FO won't feel an urgency to dump him off for peanuts if they don't get a decent offer. They can always keep him another year and let him and the rookie draft pick "battle" it out for the starting job.

Of course, that's if they believe Howell can play better than last year's results under incompetent offensive play-calling. If that's the case, you can keep him this year as the backup and provided the rookie QB shows he can lead for the future, you parlay Howell next year. Might as well enjoy the benefit of having to QBs on rookie deals while you continue to build the team around them.

HTTR!

I believe that other teams think through the mess of OL and OC, Howell has talent and someone will volley up a late 2nd/early 3rd but I agree with your thoughts on this.  If not offer, Sam would be the perfect backup for us.  Something else to keep in mind.  I know that he is the assistant QB coach but he played for Kliff and I wonder if they might ask him to be player/coach.  He's only 28 years old.  Probably not but something to keep an eye on and he could be an option as backup QB too. 

7 minutes ago, skinsfan4128 said:

HTTR!

I think if they draft maye they have to trade Howell.

And I think they’re going to draft Maye.

Having best friends competing for a job is just not good juju. 

If they draft Daniels I think they’re going to want to have a backup QB with more experience.  So I think they’ll trade Howell.

I think there trading Howell no matter what, I guess is my point.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RWJ said:

No chance he fetches a 2nd. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think if they draft maye they have to trade Howell.

And I think they’re going to draft Maye.

Having best friends competing for a job is just not good juju. 

If they draft Daniels I think they’re going to want to have a backup QB with more experience.  So I think they’ll trade Howell.

I think there trading Howell no matter what, I guess is my point.  

The first part I very much agree with, I was about to post the same thing and you beat me to it.

The second part is certainly possible but Howell does now have two years in the league in two different systems now going on to number 3 and by all accounts he's a hard worker and smart.

He's teetering on being considered a veteran if not already there.

I think they wanted to meet him prior to free agency to decide if he was "veteran" enough so to speak to be the backup and it's 50/50 as to what they decided.

Combine that with having 2 more very cheap years and that could push him towards being the best choice at backup to save money for other positions. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think 3rd or 4th is reasonable.  I’d take a 4th.  I’d even take a 5th.  

I think he can play, but I don’t think he fits into our plans. 

I'd be thrilled with a 3rd and would drive him to Dulles myself if that happened, but Fields is struggling to fetch a 3rd and even though he stinks, he's got more league wide clout than Howell in all likelihood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Unless they get a deal they just can’t say no too I don’t see them trading Howell, and with all the talent coming out in the draft plus a few veteran QB’s on the FA market (Brissett, Minshew, Darnold) add to that if they trade him then they need to go out and find a backup and his deal would probably be for more $ then what Howell is making, I just don’t see Howell being dealt

• Like 2

I really like the thought of keeping Howell unless we draft maye.

I don't want anything hindering the growth of our new quarterback and I agree with v.or. that it's a weird dynamic having two young quarterbacks who are best friends and already played together once back on the same team.

That said, last year was Howells first as a starter and he showed some things that not a lot guys have been able to show, with all the bad there was still a lot of good and I can't think of anybody I'd want who has a better combination of traits, potential and price than Howell except maybe another rookie but then we have no experience in the room besides coaches.

Edited by redskinss

I really don’t know where this narrative is coming from that Howell and Maye can’t coexist.

I'm pretty sure it’s from the Schefter interview where Maye said “it wouldn’t be ideal”. That statement was taken out of context and Maye cleared it up by explaining what he meant was that (paraphrasing) ideally they would both be starters in the league.

I took it that he wanted the best for Howell (which would be as a starting QB). Not that he didn’t want to play with Sam. 

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Sam Darnold, possibly 

Not just because he sucks, I think he'd be a bad choice for backup.   One of the hardest things for a rookie QB is to learn the art of decision making -- I think the last thing we need is one of the worst decision makers in the NFL as the rookie QB's "mentor".

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Gardner Minshew 

Case Keenum 

Kyle Allen

Mason Rudolph 

Kyle Trask (trade)

any I’m missing?

Sam Howell.

We might sign a vet but given Howells worked in the system Kingsbury (we assume) will run and has a year of starting under his belt he is a good backup option on a rookie deal.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 3

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not just because he sucks, I think he'd be a bad choice for backup.   One of the hardest things for a rookie QB is to learn the art of decision making -- I think the last thing we need is one of the worst decision makers in the NFL as the rookie QB's "mentor".

Yeah I don’t want Darnold either, I just mentioned him cause SeanTaylor=God said “did I miss anyone” when he mentioned FA available QB’s

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think 3rd or 4th is reasonable.  I’d take a 4th.  I’d even take a 5th.  

I think he can play, but I don’t think he fits into our plans. 

I wouldn't take a fifth.  Maybe a fifth and seventh.

And of course there's always player for player

• Thumb down 1

11 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I really don’t know where this narrative is coming from that Howell and Maye can’t coexist.

I'm pretty sure it’s from the Schefter interview where Maye said “it wouldn’t be ideal”. That statement was taken out of context and Maye cleared it up by explaining what he meant was that (paraphrasing) ideally they would both be starters in the league.

I took it that he wanted the best for Howell (which would be as a starting QB). Not that he didn’t want to play with Sam. 

I'm not saying they can't co exist but that it's just not the best possible situation. 

Ideally when you bring in a guy number 2 overall you want a veteran backup who is resigned to being that and who knows his role so to speak.

Howell is still young so I believe he still wants to be a starter which is the first thing that complicates the relationship and being best friends is another.

It could work out just fine, it all depends on the mentality of Howell and what he's willing to accept as his role and to be honest he's never given me any reason to suggest he'd be a problem from that standpoint but again, the it's not ideal comment is the best way to put it.

34 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

My money is on that we don’t trade Howell. 

Hitting on QBs is the hardest thing to do in the draft. Howell for me provides cheap insurance with a lot of upside. I still believe Sam is a starter in the league despite his struggles last year. 

I totally agree with you.  I wonder how Howell would have done if he played with the 49ers and all that talent and competent coaching? I bet if he and Purdy switched places this past season everyone's opinion would be completely different about both QBs. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 3

48 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

he's got more league wide clout than Howell in all likelihood.

I would love to poll GM's and find this out actually. Howell is far more developed as a passer than Fields is. I would bet that a lot of GM's would prefer Howell over Fields. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2