Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

9 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I keep forgetting Slye is a FA. Not really a good group of guys out there either. 

I actually like the option of drafting a kicker. There are a couple worth considering this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Smart signing. At the very least you get a veteran presence who can help lead on offense. I don't know if they are expecting a Vernon Davis like production out of him, but it will be better than Logan. I have no proof, but I just got the sense that Logan was a bit of contrarian and one of the dudes who was whining about EB's aggressive approach to coaching. 

I love the fact that NOBODY has a clue what the FO guys are up to with respect to draft strategy and free agency. No leaks, no rumors out there to damage player values or negotiation leverage. Good poker face and professionalism. Even the Kiem's and Finnlay's on the beat haven't a clue what is next.    

• Like 4

On 3/5/2024 at 12:34 PM, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Every time I read something about how well Jonah Williams has played, it's different. At this point it's souring the notion of Jonah Williams being much of an upgrade.

PFF gave a Williams a 59 grade last year.  That indicates a low end starter/high end back up.  However, in his four year career that was the lowest grade Williams ever had and two of the four years he has had grades above 70.  So it depends on how much emphasis you put into the most recent results vs the entire sample size.  If you look at the entire smaple size you could say he is a mid level starter, but if you just look at last year, he is probably a lateral from Wylie and downgrade from Leno.

• Like 2

Back on cousins again huh.

I'm in the camp that has no interest in cousins but you can change my mind if you can answer one question for me.

Why do we want him if the Vikings don't?

That's the question that irks me every time there's a free agent quarterback available towards the end of their career and it's the one I can never get past.

If you're a team like the broncos or bucs and are going all in for a superbowl there's an answer.

If you have a Jordan Love on your team and it's time to see what he's got, there's an answer. 

Why are the Vikings letting him walk when they have no answer at quarterback, no replacement on the roster and no high pick in the draft?

If anything we're in a better place to let him walk and go to them not the other way around.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, philibusters said:

PFF gave a Williams a 59 grade last year.  That indicates a low end starter/high end back up.  However, in his four year career that was the lowest grade Williams ever had and two of the four years he has had grades above 70.  So it depends on how much emphasis you put into the most recent results vs the entire sample size.  If you look at the entire smaple size you could say he is a mid level starter, but if you just look at last year, he is probably a lateral from Wylie and downgrade from Leno.

Hes a decent LT. He had to play RT last year after they signed Orlando Brown which is why he struggled.

17 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Back on cousins again huh.

I'm in the camp that has no interest in cousins but you can change my mind if you can answer one question for me.

Why do we want him if the Vikings don't?

That's the question that irks me every time there's a free agent quarterback available towards the end of their career and it's the one I can never get past.

If you're a team like the broncos or bucs and are going all in for a superbowl there's an answer.

If you have a Jordan Love on your team and it's time to see what he's got, there's an answer. 

Why are the Vikings letting him walk when they have no answer at quarterback, no replacement on the roster and no high pick in the draft?

If anything we're in a better place to let him walk and go to them not the other way around.

Does not seem to be the right question this time, because Minn does want him, it's about money. He gives nobody a discount, if we offered the top bid he would be here.  If we did sign him, we would not be drafting a QB at 2, because you do not pay a Menter that kind of money. Kirk is just getting the leverage. He lost a little when B.B. did not get a head coaching job.  

27 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Does not seem to be the right question this time, because Minn does want him, it's about money. He gives nobody a discount, if we offered the top bid he would be here.  If we did sign him, we would not be drafting a QB at 2, because you do not pay a Menter that kind of money. Kirk is just getting the leverage. He lost a little when B.B. did not get a head coaching job.  

If Minnesota truly wanted him they'd offer him the best contract and it'd be done by now. 

You think if he was mahomes or Allen or burrow or herbert in their prime they'd let him walk over a contract dispute?

Bottom line is he's a free agent for a reason and it's not strictly money it's a combination of age coming off a major injury and a complete lack of any real success in his career, so the question still remains if Minnesota doesn't want him anymore why do we?

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

This is weird, but it actually also applied to Leno in Chicago. A lot of people think (and usually it's correct) that an OT can come in, play RT, and then kick to LT. Or if a LT is underperforming, just kick them to RT. This may not be because you think they'll improve at RT, but likely because you think they can maintain their LT performance when moving to RT, but that allows a team to upgrade at LT. The reverse is true for rookies. They come in, play RT well, but as they improve you can flip them to LT and then bring in another RT. I remember reading something from around 2017 in Chicago when I was wondering if Leno could kick to RT, but the article from that time was debating that in Chicago and actually said Leno struggled at RT and was much better at LT. So that likely is the case with Williams as well. And part of the reason he requested a trade last off-season was he wanted to stay at LT and they brought in Brown to play LT. He sucked it up and played at RT last year but my guess is he's going to want to play LT agian.

Because Jonah Williams was drafted as an LT. He played at LT for what, 4 years? Maybe he started at RT as a rookie, can't remember. But then they kicked him back to RT when they signed Orlando Brown, Jr. last year.

So I think Jonah Williams is a better LT. BUT, you gotta know going in that he likely won't ever be a Top 5 or Top 10 LT. He'll just be a younger, slightly better Leno. But I think that's okay, especially when your alternative is ... well nothing right now, but maybe a 2nd round rookie. I am okay investing, or overpaying a bit, in a LT that will come in between 10 and 18 by season's end at LT. Draft another guy to play RT at 36 or 40. Let's shoot for "good" before we start wanting elite, if that makes sense. And maybe down the line your 2nd round RT is really good and can flip to LT long-term.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 5

54 minutes ago, redskinss said:

If Minnesota truly wanted him they'd offer him the best contract and it'd be done by now. 

You think if he was mahomes or Allen or burrow or herbert in their prime they'd let him walk over a contract dispute?

Bottom line is he's a free agent for a reason and it's not strictly money it's a combination of age coming off a major injury and a complete lack of any real success in his career, so the question still remains if Minnesota doesn't want him anymore why do we?

First let me say, I dont want Kirk back. The only way would be a 1-2 year deal to let our Rookie sit a year. But Minn wants him Kevin said pretty much that at the Combine. Really the issue with Minn and Kirk is JJ. Minn knows that they are going to have to pay JJ the largest WR contract in history and having Kirk on his no discount contract is the issue. 

Those Teams you mentioned dont have a WR with a huge contract tied with their QB besides the Bills. Bengals are going to be in a world of hurt with Chase. Mahomes doesnt have a WR1, they traded Hill after Pat got his bag. Allen has Diggs but look at what the Bills did yesterday they were 40+ million over the cap. Herbert has 2 aging WR1s that cant stay healthy. 

What a rough year for Kam Curl to try and get paid.

If safeties are the new RB, where versatility demands of them lead to faster wear and tear then yeah, kinda. I mean safeties are the new linebackers but only weigh 210.

They're supposed to aggressively fit in the run game, turn and cover with receiving threats, blitz against guys 100+ pounds heavier, and all in all mix it up with guys they normally wouldn't have to as teams are running fewer linebackers than ever. Makes it more likely they meet a 320 pounder at the second level instead of a 250 pound TE.

2 minutes ago, just654 said:

First let me say, I dont want Kirk back. The only way would be a 1-2 year deal to let our Rookie sit a year. But Minn wants him Kevin said pretty much that at the Combine. Really the issue with Minn and Kirk is JJ. Minn knows that they are going to have to pay JJ the largest WR contract in history and having Kirk on his no discount contract is the issue. 

Those Teams you mentioned dont have a WR with a huge contract tied with their QB besides the Bills. Bengals are going to be in a world of hurt with Chase. Mahomes doesnt have a WR1, they traded Hill after Pat got his bag. Allen has Diggs but look at what the Bills did yesterday they were 40+ million over the cap. Herbert has 2 aging WR1s that cant stay healthy. 

I know they'd like to keep him, I don't mean to suggest he's garbage just that if he's allowed to walk it means they chose money or in your example a wide receiver over him and that's a red flag.

Tyreek hill is quite possibly the best receiver in the game and the chiefs didn't even contemplate keeping him over mahomes for obvious reasons.

It's that catch 22 that I like bringing up that gets overlooked. 

If the Vikings are willing to let him walk I need to be convinced of why we should want him for whatever he's asking when they don't and I can't come up with a good answer.

Needing to pay Jefferson is not a good enough reason for me to let him walk, there's always a way to manipulate the cap to keep a great quarterback/receiver duo and if not you let the receiver walk not the quarterback. 

I hope Denver release their LT today

4 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

What a rough year for Kam Curl to try and get paid.

How ironic considering he appears very driven by money.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SonnySideUp said:

>>None of it matters if the Cowboys sign Parsons to a new deal before the deadline for exercising the fifth-year option. He has earned a second contract. Whether the Cowboys give it to him remains to be seen.<<

They actually assigned him his 5th year option as a DE, which is less money compared to what a LB would be assigned….

As expected, the Dallas Cowboys are going to pick up Micah Parsons' fifth-year option. The surprise, however, is how Dallas is conducting said business. 

Parsons will receive his option as a defensive end and not as a linebacker, according to The Dallas Morning News. By doing so, the Cowboys will save roughly $3 million. Parsons would make $21.32 as a defensive end for the 2025 season if he plays under his option. He would make $24 million as a linebacker. 

• Haha 1

Got to imagine we'll get 1 of these safeties in here. The market is flush and a lot of these guys will need to sign 1 year deals, which is perfect for what we're likely to look for in most of our signings this off-season, especially on defense.

I would go out and give someone like Justin Simmons, however, a 3 year deal. He's a real stud.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1