Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Existing roster players: whose stock will rise, whose stock will fall?

Stoox

EDITED to include Kingsbury being OC

Logan Paulsen and many others have said that on every team there are probably 5 players who are scheme agnostic, and could play on any team in the NFL. Which means, the majority of the roster is comprised of players who are schematic fits. When there is a coaching change, the schemes change, roles change and player usage changes.

With Quinn now HC and Kingsbury at OC, which players on the current roster could assume larger roles, or be better used in ways that maximize what they do?

Which players on the current roster are not fits moving forward?

Understand that this is a dartboarding exercise, but let's assume that the defensive scheme will be the same as what Quinn has run the last three years, tweaked a little. Let's assume Kingsbury will run what he ran in Arizona, slightly tweaked.

My picks for players whose stock could rise by being used more effectively and/or coached better:

- Brian Robinson (Kingsbury likes versatile RBs)

- Antonio Gibson (Kingsbury likes versatile RBs)

- Jahan Dotson (should rebound next year)

- Jamin Davis  (likely to be put into a role he can succeed at)

- Quan Martin  (the new Earl Thomas?)

- Benjamin St Juste (Quinn likes bigger corners)

- Jon Allen  (will be motivated in the new scheme)

- Daron Payne  (ditto - will be motivated in the new scheme)

My picks for players on their way out:

- Logan Thomas (the offence needs a good TE and he's had one good year)

- Emmanuel Forbes  (hate to say it, but I don't think he'll make it...Quinn likes bigger dbs)

- Khaleke Hudson  (might not have a consistent role in this scheme, and he's a UFA)

- David Mayo (Quinn will look at the tape and say 'forget it')

- Cody Barton (Ditto)

- Kendall Fuller (not because he doesn't fit, but because he's a UFA, will be 29 and will probably want to max out his money in March). 

Edited by Stoox
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stoox said:

With Quinn now HC, are there players on the current roster who could assume larger roles, or be better used in ways that maximize what they do?

Are there players on the current roster who are either not fits moving forward, and are going to be not resigned or released?

Understood that the OC is not yet hired, so for the time being we can probably only do this exercise for the defense. Let's assume that the scheme will be the same as what Quinn has run the last three years, tweaked a little.

My picks for players whose stock could rise by being used more effectively and/or coached better:

- Jamin Davis  (likely to be put into a role he can succeed at)

- Quan Martin  (the new Earl Thomas?)

- Benjamin St Juste (Quinn likes bigger corners)

- Jon Allen  (will be motivated in the new scheme)

- Daron Payne  (ditto - will be motivated in the new scheme)

My picks for players on their way out:

- Emmanuel Forbes  (hate to say it, but I don't think he'll make it...Quinn likes bigger dbs)

- Khaleke Hudson  (might not have a consistent role in this scheme, and he's a UFA)

- David Mayo (Quinn will look at the tape and say 'forget it')

- Cody Barton (Ditto)

- Kendall Fuller (not because he doesn't fit, but because he's a UFA, will be 29 and will probably want to max out his money in March). 

Forbes probably wont go anywhere. Going into year 2 on a rookie deal with 2 years plus fifth year option remaining is still good value currently. I could also see him and just about everyone else improving next year. Our coaches were trash. You had Ron admit he was hands off and JDR who clearly thought he was the smartest man in the building with his terrible game plans and play calling. I agree with everything else you listed with the exception of fuller. I could see us throwing a three year deal at him and assuming it’s nothing crazy I think he’s worth it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mh86 said:

Forbes probably wont go anywhere. Going into year 2 on a rookie deal with 2 years plus fifth year option remaining is still good value currently. I could also see him and just about everyone else improving next year. Our coaches were trash. You had Ron admit he was hands off and JDR who clearly thought he was the smartest man in the building with his terrible game plans and play calling. I agree with everything else you listed with the exception of fuller. I could see us throwing a three year deal at him and assuming it’s nothing crazy I think he’s worth it.

Forbes does have a good contact, and I do hope he improves. I just have the AJ Brown and DJ Moore games burned in my brain. Man, I wish we had drafted Deonte Banks instead.

Agreed the coaching staff was a liability last year. Ron brought his mediocre crew from the Panthers over, and never changed a thing in 4 years, except to fire Turner, Mills & Matsko, and let Harris walk, while replacing them with worse coaches.

I would resign Fuller - we have the money - but I'm thinking he might walk.

• Thumb up 1

I think Gibson is gone even though I think he would thrive in a KK system I just think they draft someone like him in the later rounds, also St Juste needs to rebound to what we saw in 22’ he was horrible last season and so bad that unless he shows them something during OTA’s & Training Camp he could easily be gone.  All those you mentioned gone I agree with and totally think they deserve to be… Thomas can’t stay healthy and we will either draft a TE or sign 1 through FA and the price tag Fuller will be wanting he isn’t deserving of imho… 14+ a yr for him is way to much on a team kinda rebuilding… 

Edited by Command The 414

Any player under contract will be evaluated by the coaches before being cut.  It's clear that players were not well coached.  Quinn called Forbes so I'm guessing he felt that Forbes was poorly utilized.  IMHO, Forbes might be best suited to the free safety position with larger CBs handling the perimeter.  Quan Martin could fit at strong safety. 

The LB core will be redone.  Quinn likes the starter DTs and probably the depth players.  DEs will be evaluated to see if their strengths can be used effectively.

I can see B. Rob and C.Rodrguez staying because KK has historically featured runs between the takes and both guys can catch passes.  Add a speedster and KK will have flexibility in play calling.

The OL has to be redone.  TEs - same.  It will be interesting to see what happens with the WRs.  I expect them to add a larger, more physical, one to the mix.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Any player under contract will be evaluated by the coaches before being cut.  It's clear that players were not well coached.  Quinn called Forbes so I'm guessing he felt that Forbes was poorly utilized.  IMHO, Forbes might be best suited to the free safety position with larger CBs handling the perimeter.  Quan Martin could fit at strong safety. 

Interesting. I hadn't thought about a full scale switch-up with Forbes and Martin. Didn't Martin play Nickelback/FS most of the year? If we run a similar defense, Forrest is our FS. Moving Forbes to FS would bump a current starter out. Which is fine, we know we need an overhaul. We'll need a SS to replace Curl.

CB: Forbes, St. Juste

NB: Martin

FS: Forrest, Butler

SS: 

A year after feeling like our secondary was "stacked" with young talent ... we basically have 5 roster "locks" ... everyone else on the depth chart is either a free agent (Fuller, Curl, Reaves), or borderline roster bubble guys (Castro-Fields, Holmes).

We have some real holes all over the defense. LB and DE are the two glaring holes, but don't discount the secondary. We really are slated for a full scale overhaul on defense. We are likely to return 6-7 starters (Allen, Payne, Davis, Forbes, St. Juste, Forrest, Martin).

I would expect Henry or Jones to start at one DE spot. But they're the only DEs under contract, so we're going to add 1 starter and likely 2-3 FAs/Draft picks for depth. LB is a sieve. Davis is the only option really.

• Like 1

Great idea for a thread.  It will be fascinating to see how the coaches will change the production of the current players.  Guys like Q. Martin and J.Davis are ones to watch.  I don't see Gibson in their future.  He just hasn't shown any quality you look for other than straight line speed.  And he fumbles although that got better.  

• Thanks 1

I see Jamin Davis blowing up under Quinn. He fits that athletic aggressive LB mold perfectly. He was already making strides in year 3 and now I think he's ready to explode in year 4. If I'm GMAP I'd try to see if I can get him to resign a modest extension now because I bet you he's gonna get paid next offseason. We can of course always exercise his 5th year.

• Like 4

With Forbes, I like what Quinn said in his press conference about player utilization. Try to find out what the kid does well, rather than sticking him out there on an island and hoping for the best. Maybe it won't be enough, but I imagine Quinn and Whitt will give it a good try.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 1

How has Cosmi not been mentioned yet? He had a Pro Bowl caliber season this year. If he can stay healthy (big if), he has a great shot at being an All Pro next year assuming he gets to play next to a better center and RT

• Like 1