Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Ho Ho Hoooooooooaaahhhh no! They Almost Beat the Jets

KDawg

We could be the Cowboys, who are the perennial “we’re almost there” team.   Imagine feeling like you were about to beat the Dolphins, with 3 minutes on the clock, only to have the rug pulled out from under you.  At least we aren’t the Cowboys…

image.gif.b648ce21f67f1e7822b96ba8ac09672d.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

We could be the Cowboys, who are the perennial “we’re almost there” team.   Imagine feeling like you were about to beat the Dolphins, with 3 minutes on the clock, only to have the rug pulled out from under you.  At least we aren’t the Cowboys…

image.gif.b648ce21f67f1e7822b96ba8ac09672d.gif

Yeah it really sucks being 10-5 and playing meaningful games in December and January

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1

The good:

- Thank God for Zurlein 

- Brissett might be a good guy as a bridge QB

- The defense is better under Rivera when playing the worst offense in the NFl. 

- The offense looks entirely different with a veteran QB.  @KDawg pointed out the play calling changed.  I’m not sure why.  But it is good to see other players on the team perform well.  (In a loss)

The Bad:

- The WRs I think hate Howell and are intentionally dropping balls that hit them in the hands.  There were at least 8 drops ai counted in the first 3 quarters.  
- The protection is abysmal.  Yay to Wylie being benched and hopefully he doesn’t play ever again.  
- We almost won.  
- Why did Ron punt from their side of the 50?

- Since Ron was trying to win the game, the last offensive drive where they ran three times and punted was total turtle choke job nonsense.  I’m glad.  But Ron was trying to win. Or rather not lose.  That was a terrible way about going about it.  Bad look.  

Thank God we lost. I don’t care about having the 2nd pick but I’d like a top 5 pick.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 5

Who else is wanting to see Brissett a little more? 5 drives for 5 tds. It seems like when he is in the offense runs like a well oiled machine, other than when it took 8 plays to score from the 1. I think a lot of it has to do with him being willing to throw with tight 1 on 1 coverage. He throws with anticipation and throws to a spot, throwing receivers open. He really knows what nfl open looks like. It helps the run game open up and helps the line hold up. I mean he is no spring chicken but he is only 32 I think. He is better than anyone we've had since Alex Smith pre injury. I really want to see if he can keep up this level of play for a whole game in ebs offense, and if he can than lets see if he can do it for 2.

Edited by mac8887

6 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Who else is wanting to see Brissett a little more? 5 drives for 5 tds. It seems like when he is in the offense runs like a well oiled machine, other than when it took 8 plays to score from the 1. I think a lot of it has to do with him being willing to throw with tight 1 on 1 coverage. He throws with anticipation and throws to a spot, throwing receivers open. He really knows what nfl open looks like. It helps the run game open up and helps the line hold up. I mean he is no spring chicken but he is only 32 I think. He is better than anyone we've had since Alex Smith pre injury. I really want to see if he can keep up this level of play for a whole game in ebs offense, and if he can than lets see if he can do it for 2.

I could not disagree more. He’s a free agent and we are going to have a whole new offense and coaching staff. He’s not coming back, and seeing him play is meaningless.

The end of this season has been abysmal.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, seantaylor=god said:

I could not disagree more. He’s a free agent and we are going to have a whole new offense and coaching staff. He’s not coming back, and seeing him play is meaningless.

The end of this season has been abysmal.

It has been abysmal except for when brisset is in. Other than the goal line stall out it has been fun watching Terry making plays again and jahan having an impact. Even though I hope we lose out, it's fun to watch the offense make some plays. We haven't seen any of that since november

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The good:

- Thank God for Zurlein 

- Brissett might be a good guy as a bridge QB

- The defense is better under Rivera when playing the worst offense in the NFl. 

- The offense looks entirely different with a veteran QB.  @KDawg pointed out the play calling changed.  I’m not sure why.  But it is good to see other players on the team perform well.  (In a loss)

The Bad:

- The WRs I think hate Howell and are intentionally dropping balls that hit them in the hands.  There were at least 8 drops ai counted in the first 3 quarters.  
- The protection is abysmal.  Yay to Wylie being benched and hopefully he doesn’t play ever again.  
- We almost won.  
- Why did Ron punt from their side of the 50?

- Since Ron was trying to win the game, the last offensive drive where they ran three times and punted was total turtle choke job nonsense.  I’m glad.  But Ron was trying to win. Or rather not lose.  That was a terrible way about going about it.  Bad look.  

Thank God we lost. I don’t care about having the 2nd pick but I’d like a top 5 pick.  

To add you are up 1 against a QB the who has not completed a pass beyond 10 yards. All he’s completed are screens, check downs and the odd drag/mesh. 

So on the last drive they had rather than take away that short stuff and challenge them to try to throw long we drop into soft zone and give them short completion after short completion.

This season can’t end soon enough.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 4

@KDawg the fact you're willing to still create these at ALL, is noble as hell.

All I know, is this is going to be the greatest off-season of ALL TIME. Of ANY sports franchise, EVER. 

We're getting a new full off season under a brand new owner, getting a new GM, new coach, likely new coordinators, new top 5 (hopefully) draft pick to either use ourselves or trade back, tons of cap space to shop for new pieces, announcing a new stadium project AND a new team name/mascot?!? 

Only two more losses, and the real fun begins. I, for one, can't wait. 

Hail. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Another wasted season.

Huge changes coming on and off the field. Feels like a complete tear down and rebuild.

Well it was a transitional season. And yet there was some hope and some dreams that one had how they wanted the season to go. I thought it would be a 10-7 season and then the D decided to make me look like an idiot for thinking that lol. I knew it was going to be tough for Howell as he had to be super duper QB to impress to continue beyond this year, which was not even reasonable for a person starting the whole season for the 1st time with an new OC too. 

I keep saying/hoping maybe next year.... :kickcan:

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I have zero interest in seeing Jacoby play. He's just more proof of how ****ty Ron and his staff have been at evaluating talent. Two months ago would have been the time to go to Brissett. Now it's meaningless and actually damaging to the future rebuild. 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn't mind it for the last two games. It's hard to evaluate anyone else on the offense if the QB is in full meltdown mode.

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, profusion said:

I wouldn't mind it for the last two games. It's hard to evaluate anyone else on the offense if the QB is in full meltdown mode.

I’d argue we know what we have.

OL: only one worth salvaging is Cosmi. Stromberg gets a pass. Daniels is red shirted. 

Tight End: Nothing for the long term.

RB: BRob and Rodriguez.

WR: McLaurin & Dotson

QB: Howell potentially as depth

DL: Henry, Jones

LB: Jamin. Hudson as depth.

S: Forrest, Quan

CB: Uh.

Everyone else is a FA… essentially. Or they aren’t worth keeping long term. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I absolutely hate seeing another season down the drain like this, but Snyder is finally gone and I have hope for the future.   I’d like to see us repeat the glory years before I die.  Those were the days.  

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!  I appreciate you all so much.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2