Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The short list for Time's 2023 Person of the Year

Spaceman Spiff

35 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

can we settle on shriveled up no-talent inbred halfwit German divorcee that's never lifted a finger to accomplish something?

That’s getting close. I should have included ‘entitled’ as he, like other members of the British Royal Family, spend their abundant leisure time speaking on topics where they have absolutely no expertise. 

• Haha 1

I'm reading this Time article on Taylor Swift.  I've yet to make my mind up about her, and when I say that I mean I've yet to make my mind up about the person.  I can take or leave her music just as easily.  Quite frankly, if her entire catalog disappeared tomorrow the only way I'd notice would be due to my wife's frenzied cries.  That said, when she insists on playing it on a car trip, I don't mind.

There are times where I want to like her, there are times where I think she's a dolt.  In reading this article, she actually thinks that her career was taken away from her and that she was cancelled.  She talks about this Kanye phone call that Kim Kardashian doctored and how it ruined her...and I can't remember a time in the past 10 years where Taylor Swift wasn't selling an absolute metric **** ton of records and selling out concerts in seconds.  She literally thinks she lost her career and got it all back, which is absolutely insane to me.  What's worse is that the author of the article HAS THE EXACT SAME THOUGHT and can't bring herself to ask the question.

But then she talks about re-recording her catalog and that's a pretty cool story, a smart way of reclaiming her catalog.  I like her for that, the hard work, the hours she puts in.  She obviously means everything to her fans and I think she understands and accepts that responsibility.  

The Person of the Year though?  The article makes a decent case for it, you couldn't go anywhere in 2023 without seeing her, hearing her music or hearing about her tour.  She's been cited as having a positive impact on the economy, that's hard to beat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

Yeah - she seems to be like many big names in the music business who have been screwed over by agents, managers and record companies, and now assert more control.

That alone is hardly enough to rise to person of the year other than being one of the largest players, and being a solo (relatively young) female who took control.

Two arguments are her ‘crossing over’ into prime time NFL and bringing millions of her fans with her, and encouraging younger folks to register to vote (and how that has triggered some of the right-wing Twitterverse).

IMG_5277.jpeg

IMG_5278.jpeg

IMG_5279.jpeg

And yes, The Federalist is writing articles headlined like this: :ols: 

IMG_5280.jpeg

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

That’s getting close. I should have included ‘entitled’ as he, like other members of the British Royal Family, spend their abundant leisure time speaking on topics where they have absolutely no expertise. 

The Royals are on ES?

• Haha 4

How no one has turned that semi-teary eyed pout of Travis Kelce's mug into the 2023 Jordan tears meme is beyond me.  

And no, Taylor Swift is not homely.  That guy should be **** punched for that, then be forced to look in a mirror to see what homely looks like.

Right wingers are the goddamn worst.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

The Royals are on ES?

I think they are coaching the team.

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

And no, Taylor Swift is not homely.  That guy should be **** punched for that, then be forced to look in a mirror to see what homely looks like.

He looks like one of the cast of Trailer Park Boys.

IMG_5281.jpeg

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

But then she talks about re-recording her catalog and that's a pretty cool story, a smart way of reclaiming her catalog.  I like her for that, the hard work, the hours she puts in.  She obviously means everything to her fans and I think she understands and accepts that responsibility. 

There are worse artists out there for my daughters to look up to. Her mother roams the crowd at concerts looking for fans to bring back stage to meet Taylor--one of my wife's friends and her daughter were selected. She said Taylor seemed incredibly kind and genuine. She seems to value her fans--which makes sense because that's where her money is made. That's probably part of her persona--and I am sure behind closed doors, she has her moments like every normal human being--but you never hear about her cursing out people, or getting into trouble.

I saw her name listed as person of the year and I thought it made a lot of sense. There are very few people in this world that can take of an NFL game and she's probably the top of that list.

I do find the obsession with her personal life--especially from ass clowns who would give their sight to spend one night with her--really odd. Who gives a **** what she does in her own time?

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The Person of the Year though?  The article makes a decent case for it, you couldn't go anywhere in 2023 without seeing her, hearing her music or hearing about her tour.  She's been cited as having a positive impact on the economy, that's hard to beat.

To add to this the story on the Karma song with Ice Spice is she was reluctant to do the song with Swift, but when she went to go meet her at the studio Taylor was standing outside on the skdewalk waiting for her to welcome her herself, no Fs given, jus wanted her to feel comfortable and that meant a lot to her. 

Folks can say what they want about Ice Spice as well, but my take away is similar to yours in Taylor's respect for her craft and fellow artists like Kedrick Lemar.  Homegirl building a dynasty she never could've staying in Country music. Give that woman her flowers. But Person of the Year, a lot more goin on then that...

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Taylor Swift winning Person of the Year is like noticing nearly every Aliens on Earth movie takes place only in the United States...

That's the prize for being Back-to-Back World War Champions. No other country has even won a Super Bowl, NCAA National Title, or World Series. Sad.

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

While I applaud the choice, the cynic in me notes that the Time editors are fully aware they’ll sell a hell of a lot more magazines with Taylor Swift on the cover than they would with a glamour shot of Jerome Powell or Sam Altman. 

ChatGPT, make me a glamour shot of Jerome Powell

• Haha 3

With respect to the idea that her career was stolen from her, I think it isn't uncommon for hyper-successful people to continually think they have been wronged, that people are trying to ruin them, and that they have to continually fight for what is theirs.

In my experience, people that are extremely successful often have a bit of paranoia to them that somebody/thing is out to get them if they don't keep working real hard.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

MSN: 22 Screenshots of MAGA Melting Down Over Time's Person of the Year Taylor Swift 

Click bolded link for full article of screenshots.

>>>

Time Magazine named Taylor Swift their Person of the Year and of course MAGA decided to complain and melt down over it. Some of them believe Taylor Swift is controlled by George Soros because her old music may have been owned by Soros. Swift has been re-recording her music and, therefore,  isn't being manipulated by who owns it. The MAGA folks seem to be unaware of this.

Anyway, haters are gonna hate as Taylor would say or sing. Here are screenshots of right wing accounts melting down over Taylor Swift being named Time's Person of the Year:<<<<

• Haha 1