Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Will they do one early and then fly back to do the other? Will it be different people conducting the interviews? Seems odd that they will have 2 face to face interviews on the same day halfway across the country from each other. Probably going to hire Ben and have him fly back to dc with the guys and interview Quinn for dc/assistant hc.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Will they do one early and then fly back to do the other? Will it be different people conducting the interviews? Seems odd that they will have 2 face to face interviews on the same day halfway across the country from each other. Probably going to hire Ben and have him fly back to dc with the guys and interview Quinn for dc/assistant hc.

That would be great!!!

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This doesn't make a lot of sense. They are interviewing in Detroit and in DC on the same day?

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you were to select a team playing from 2002 to 2022 at random and that team ranked in the top five for both offense and defense, there would be a 34 percent chance that team appeared in the Super Bowl that season. If the team you selected was top five in offense and average in defense, the chance drops to 14 percent. Select a team with an average offense and a top five defense and the odds slip even further, to eight percent. Teams that didn’t rank in the top five in either category had less than a one percent chance of participating in a Super Bowl.

It’s not just Super Bowls, either. Offensive-minded head coaches have won 51 percent of their games since 2002, while defensive-minded head coaches have won just 48 percent. Over each of the past three seasons, coaches plucked from the offensive side of the ball have outperformed their defensive counterparts in regular season win rate. Coaches with offensive backgrounds have been more successful in the playoffs, too, winning 51 percent of their postseason games since 2002, compared to 49 percent for coaches from the other side of the ball. If you remove Bill Belichick (with six Super Bowls and a 31-13 playoff record) from the ranks of defensive-minded coaches, the combined playoff win rate for that group drops to 44 percent.

This data couldn't be less impressive. Offensive minded head coaches have won 51% of their games vs 48% for defensive minded head coaches since 2002? And in the post season it's 51% vs 49%? I doubt those numbers are statistically significant. Certainly the data above that does seem to reinforce the importance of having a top 5 offense. I think when you take all of that data together, what you can glean, is that defensive minded head coaches aren't much less likely to field a top offense.

I still want Ben Johnson, because I think he's a good coach, we are going to be breaking in a rookie QB, and I want the offensive stability. But if there wasn't such a good offensive candidate available, I wouldn't mind a defensive candidate. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Really makes you wonder what other candidates think when reading articles like this. The entire NFL head coach hiring process is bizarre. 

I'd argue it's more bizarre to hire a coach based on an interview rather than his body of work. The NFL isn't exactly a huge community. There are only 32 teams and players, coaches, and front office personal constantly switch between them. I think those in the know have a good feel for who is and who is not a good coach. This isn't some company blindly listing a job opening on CareerBuilder and getting cold calls. Teams generally have a good idea how a coach is before ever speaking to him. And that's without getting into their body of work, which is largely available on video. Essentially, there is a lot of information out there without necessarily having a formal interview with someone. Which is probably why you see teams target a guy from the get-go. Say with the Chargers and Harbaugh this offseason. And probably the same with Washington and Johnson I suspect.

That being said, I don't think the interview is entirely meaningless. But it's more of a safeguard, to make sure there are no red flags and that the coach is on the same page with the rest of the organization. And mind you, there are a lot of teams looking for coaches in a typical offseason. So not everyone is going to get their first choice. If you're pushed down to options 3 or 4 on your list, maybe the difference isn't much between them and an interview could essentially serve as a tiebreaker. But, for the most part, you have a lot of information about a guy without even speaking to a guy. And maybe one shouldn't be overly swayed because some candidate was especially charismatic or easy to get a long with or likeable during an interview. While many successful head coaches are charismatic or easy to get a long with or likeable, there are plenty of successful head coaches that are more stoic (Andy Reid) or hard to get a long with (I'd argue Harbaugh) or less likeable (I'd even argue Belichick). The traits that make a good head coach and the traits that make a good interviewee may overlap some, but there are a lot  of traits that aren't really the same.

Of course, you'll hear things about how so-and-so was a great interview and so forth. I think most of that is PR spin. Not that it's specifically untrue. I think a lot of coaches can interview well and most (maybe even all) of the ones hired had a good interview (would you really hire someone that bombed the interview?). But the idea that this one candidate magically separated himself from the pack just by some words said in a few hours and swayed a billion dollar organization to reconsider their hiring practices seems like a lot to ask. It's probably happened from time to time, but not as often as people like to think. And just because the new team said great things about the guy they just hired and how well he did in an interview doesn't really mean it completely changed the decision making process. It's kind of like coaches saying good things about the players they coach. There's an obvious bias there and you have to factor that in.

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

This doesn't make a lot of sense. They are interviewing in Detroit and in DC on the same day?

This data couldn't be less impressive. Offensive minded head coaches have won 51% of their games vs 48% for defensive minded head coaches since 2002? And in the post season it's 51% vs 49%? I doubt those numbers are statistically significant. Certainly the data above that does seem to reinforce the importance of having a top 5 offense. I think when you take all of that data together, what you can glean, is that defensive minded head coaches aren't much less likely to field a top offense.

I still want Ben Johnson, because I think he's a good coach, we are going to be breaking in a rookie QB, and I want the offensive stability. But if there wasn't such a good offensive candidate available, I wouldn't mind a defensive candidate. 

2002 is way too far back.

Look back from like 2015 or so.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

2002 is way too far back.

Look back from like 2015 or so.

I don't have any stats. I'm just saying that someone published an article with stats that in no way support his conclusions. But I agree. 2002 is an age ago. 

6 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I'd argue it's more bizarre to hire a coach based on an interview rather than his body of work. The NFL isn't exactly a huge community. There are only 32 teams and players, coaches, and front office personal constantly switch between them. I think those in the know have a good feel for who is and who is not a good coach. This isn't some company blindly listing a job opening on CareerBuilder and getting cold calls. Teams generally have a good idea how a coach is before ever speaking to him. And that's without getting into their body of work, which is largely available on video. Essentially, there is a lot of information out there without necessarily having a formal interview with someone. Which is probably why you see teams target a guy from the get-go. Say with the Chargers and Harbaugh this offseason. And probably the same with Washington and Johnson I suspect.

For me, I think the interview would mostly be about seeing who he has lined up for a potential staff, and how he sees the current roster and how it fits his preferred schemes. It's probably also important when considering candidates that haven't been head coaches before.

Seems to me they are down to Ben Johnson and Dan Quinn for HC.  No mention of Aaron Glenn as they were to interview him too in Detroit too.  They could be down to Ben Johnson for HC and Dan Quinn for DC.  Got me.  

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Seems to me they are down to Ben Johnson and Dan Quinn for HC.  No mention of Aaron Glenn as they were to interview him too in Detroit too.  They could be down to Ben Johnson for HC and Dan Quinn for DC.  Got me.  

I don’t think this is what will happen, but Johnson will be a first time HC, and isn’t a rah rah type guy. I think Dan Quinn as DC/assistant HC could be very complementary. Quinn could be helpful in the HC logistics and be the rah rah guy, and is an experienced DC. Johnson would be the big picture guy with the larger vision. I think this could free up Johnson to some degree in terms of being a 1st time HC, but also the primary play caller. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

When you are flying on a private jet, you can easily do this unless you want to interview to last all day.

• Like 3

It’s Ben Johnson for sure. So I googled him to see who is agent is. I don’t know if it was discussed before or not but his agent is Richmond Flowers who was briefly a WR with the Redskins. He was also an offensive assistant coach here when Mike Shanahan was coach. So he was on staff with Kyle, McVay etc. Mike McDaniel is his client as well.

Pretty interesting how he switched from player/coach to agent. Agents for players have to be attorneys but I don’t think that’s the case for coaches. Also not sure if he is an attorney or not. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

It’s Ben Johnson for sure. So I googled him to see who is agent is. I don’t know if it was discussed before or not but his agent is Richmond Flowers who was briefly a WR with the Redskins. He was also an offensive assistant coach here when Mike Shanahan was coach. So he was on staff with Kyle, McVay etc. Mike McDaniel is his client as well.

Pretty interesting how he switched from player/coach to agent. Agents for players have to be attorneys but I don’t think that’s the case for coaches. Also not sure if he is an attorney or not. 

*Camera pans to said agent currently calculating how many more millions per year he’ll be asking for tomorrow*