Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Ron Rivera says he still wants to coach, even as a DC

Former Commanders coach Ron Rivera said he's not done with coaching -- even if he'd no longer be the person in charge.

Rivera, who was fired by new owner Josh Harris on Jan. 8, said he has had "conversations with some people and some teams" and is waiting to see what happens over the next week or so with coaching vacancies. Six teams, including Washington, still need head coaches, which would lead to further openings on those respective staffs.

Rivera has been a head coach for the past 13 years, compiling a 102-103-2 record. He was 26-40-1 in Washington, including 4-13 this past season. Washington won the NFC East in his first season but did not finish with a winning record during his four years.

"I have several opportunities right now," Rivera told ESPN in his first public comments since being fired. "I just want to make sure it's the right one."

Rivera said it would not be difficult to return to being a defensive coordinator again. He last served as a coordinator with the Chargers from 2008 to '10 before taking over as the Panthers' head coach.

He also was the Chargers' linebackers coach in 2007 -- after serving as the Bears' defensive coordinator the previous three seasons.

"Sometimes you do have to take a step back," Rivera said. "You take a step back you learn and grow from it. It's like I told other players, if you look at this year as a lost year, you're [hurting] yourself. You should look at it as a year to learn and understand why things happen. This was probably the greatest learning experience I've had in a while this year. I mean, a lot of things came to light at certain times this past season that I think going forward will really help me."

He mentioned delegating authority and wanting to be given information that he needed to know, not just what someone thought he wanted to know.

Rivera fired defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio on Nov. 24 and took over the defensive playcalling duties for the final five games. Two days before the season finale, Rivera said handling the defense again showed how much he had missed that aspect of coaching.

"I enjoyed the heck of it," Rivera told ESPN. "I got away from it for 3½ seasons and really felt like I was more of a manager."

Rivera said at times "stupid stuff" would be brought to him and it "made no sense" that those things would be brought to his attention.

Rivera declined to say what those were, but added, "It was just stuff that shouldn't have been put on the head coach's plate. But at the time when I was dealing with it, I wasn't necessarily the head coach as much as I was the manager."

That's partly why he said he would not favor the coach-centric model that he was part of in Washington. Rivera said that was the deal presented to him by previous owner Dan Snyder. But Rivera said it was a difficult model, especially during a turbulent period that included multiple investigations of Snyder and the culture he created before Rivera arrived in January 2020.

"I would've loved a different model just because, in hindsight, now you really see how much more time you spend on personnel and as a coach, that's not necessarily what you want to do," he said. "What I really enjoyed more than anything else the last five weeks was just being right in the middle of everything. Now your only focus is just that one thing. That's what you do; you want to teach."

Rivera said he still believes Sam Howell can be a starting quarterback in the NFL, but he regrets how he handled the situation. Rivera announced last offseason that Howell would enter the team's workouts as the No. 1 quarterback. Howell ended up starting all 17 games, throwing for 21 touchdowns and 21 interceptions.

"I took a big gamble," Rivera said. "I put a lot on Sam, and I probably shouldn't have put as much pressure on him, and I think that was probably one of the mistakes I made this year. He didn't deserve to have that put on him. He's a good young quarterback, has some talent and some ability, and I think that's something I should have backed off on.

"I should have kept emphasizing he was going to be the guy that got the first opportunity. ... Just phrasing it that way would've taken a lot of pressure off of him, just kind of that he hadn't been anointed."

But, Rivera said, even though Harris fired him, he likes what he has seen from this ownership group.

"The organization is a very good position," he said. "If there's one thing that we can say over the four years, it's that I think the culture is headed in the direction it needs to be headed.

"I think what Mr. Harris and his group want to do and the way they're going to approach things, I think it's going to be very efficient. I think the focus is now on the football team."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39330080/ron-rivera-says-wants-coach-even-dc

• Haha 5
  • Confused 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

Raheem Morris hired as the HC at this point of where this team is on the field and probably close to 70% of the roster will be different and much younger should he be named the HC it would be just bluh and honestly very much the norm… I still can’t wrap my thoughts around him so being sought after…. shoot I’d rather pull someone from the grave like Brian Billick or Greg Williams then settle for Morris…. I’m hoping all this Morris talk is nothing more then to get the scent off of Slowik or Johnson as HC 

Morris is being interviewed by everyone to get one of their Rooney Rule interviews in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 3

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

The NFL is remarkably unpredictable unless you have an elite Hall of Fame QB or Kyle Shanahan. If someone claims otherwise, their ego might be clouding their judgment. 

Kyle is also unpredictable at times. The year after the SB run they had a losing record.  Mostly due to injury.  And so are elite HOF QBs.

The Packers had an elite HOF QB from 1992 - 2022.  I'm not willing to put Love into that conversation yet.  So we'll just go with Rodgers.  

Favre is in the HOF.  Rodgers will be 5 years after he retires.  

That's 30 years of HOF QB play.  They've won the SB twice in that period with 1 more appearance (lost to the Broncos). If you want to say they make the playoffs a lot, that's true, 23 seasons. They made 10 conference championships.  Losing 7 of them.  (I didn't realize HOW bad they were in the championship games.  But eegads that's not a great winning percentage right there.)

The only team with an elite HOF QB who consistently made it to the conference championships  and won them consistently was Brady.  In history, Aikman, Montana, Elway and Terry Bradshaw might be the ones you'd name from the 70's on.  All the other elite HOF QBs had ups and downs.  

Nothing in the NFL can be predicted year to year.  Except the Patriots for 20 years with the GOAT QB and the GOAT coach at the same time.  That combo had quite a bit of consistency.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lovemaskins said:

Fans are idiots. Sirianni is a good coach and if Lurie does fire him they deserve whatever stupid prizes they win. Dude lost both offensive and defensive coordinators, the talent dropped from last year and they were still a contender all year. Losing AJ Brown didn’t help either.  

That’s why I could care less about the back and forth about which coach to hire. Get a leader and the rest is easy.  BJ / Slowik / Morris, let Peters feel them out from the interview and pick the best MAN. Not the best Xs and Os…  

Managers do the same nonsense at companies, pick the best technical or knowledgeable guy who sucks at leadership then can’t figure out why the performance dips…🧐

Philly, should fire the both Coordinators first, D was not if better than Wash. Offense took a dump after teams blitzed them often, no design to fix it, were have we herd that?

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That's 30 years of HOF QB play.  They've won the SB twice in that period with 1 more appearance (lost to the Broncos). If you want to say they make the playoffs a lot, that's true, 23 seasons. They made 10 conference championships.  Losing 7 of them.  (I didn't realize HOW bad they were in the championship games.  But eegads that's not a great winning percentage right there.)

I am sure I will get a bunch of people arguing something I am not saying here, but winning the Super Bowl should not be the only determinant if an organization/GM/coach/QB yadda, yadda, yadda is successful.

Winning the Super Bowl is ****ing hard. Not only do you have to be a great team, a lot has to go your way too, completely out of your control: penalties, borderline calls, injuries, a fumble randomly bouncing one way instead of another, a squirrel running onto the field at a pivotal moment (anyone who gets that reference gets a gold star). One bad day and you're done. 

Case in point: Andy Reid is widely considered a HOF coach and one of, if not the best coach currently in the NFL. He won his first title in his 20th year coaching. He made it to the SB ONCE before that. The number of coaches to win more than one title is very small. 14 in the history of the NFL (since the Super Bowl became a thing). 4 have won more than two: Belichick, Noll, Walsh, and Gibbs. Shula? 33 years, 2 titles. Landry, 2 in 29. Reid, 2 in 25.Tomlin, 1 in 17. Cowher, 1 in 15. Carroll, 1 in 18. John Harbaugh, 1 in 16. No one in their right mind would say these are not great coaches.

So, just pointing out "this type of coach won a super bowl, while this draft pick won a super bowl" is dumb and really myopic. It ignores so many other variables. I want an organization that is constantly biting at the apple. That are always there. That consistent winner that always has an opportunity for that call, that bounce, that chance. Yes, of course I want to win a dozen championships, but given how incredibly difficult it is to win just one, we should focus on consistently contending. Then maybe the chips fall for us once or twice.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

I dunno why - was in high school and college (i.e., prime drinking years) during Gibbs 1, but I prefer an offensive head coach.  More than that though, I want a guy who:  1) motivates men into battle and commands (no pun), not demands, their respect; 2) has a good sense for the flow of a game; 3) clock effing management; 4) knows when to hold 'em, knows when to fold 'em, knows when to kick for 1, knows when to go for it on 4th.  And who won't cut the punter to send a message.

I suspect what some are thinking especially @88Comrade2000 after learning that Ron is willing to be a DC again, which coach can we hire that would bring back Ron to our team as the DC?

I know Belichick has a good relationship with Ron.    I think that would rule out McDonald and some of the young D coordinators.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 4

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I suspect what some are thinking especially @88Comrade2000 after learning that Ron is willing to be a DC again, which coach can we hire that would bring back Ron to our team as the DC?

I know Belichick has a good relationship with Ron.    I think that would rule out McDonald and some of the young D coordinators.

Ron could be a good D coordinator for a rookie HC that would benefit from his experience in the big seat.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Former Commanders coach Ron Rivera said he's not done with coaching -- even if he'd no longer be the person in charge.

Rivera, who was fired by new owner Josh Harris on Jan. 8, said he has had "conversations with some people and some teams" and is waiting to see what happens over the next week or so with coaching vacancies. Six teams, including Washington, still need head coaches, which would lead to further openings on those respective staffs.

Rivera has been a head coach for the past 13 years, compiling a 102-103-2 record. He was 26-40-1 in Washington, including 4-13 this past season. Washington won the NFC East in his first season but did not finish with a winning record during his four years.

"I have several opportunities right now," Rivera told ESPN in his first public comments since being fired. "I just want to make sure it's the right one."

Rivera said it would not be difficult to return to being a defensive coordinator again. He last served as a coordinator with the Chargers from 2008 to '10 before taking over as the Panthers' head coach.

He also was the Chargers' linebackers coach in 2007 -- after serving as the Bears' defensive coordinator the previous three seasons.

"Sometimes you do have to take a step back," Rivera said. "You take a step back you learn and grow from it. It's like I told other players, if you look at this year as a lost year, you're [hurting] yourself. You should look at it as a year to learn and understand why things happen. This was probably the greatest learning experience I've had in a while this year. I mean, a lot of things came to light at certain times this past season that I think going forward will really help me."

He mentioned delegating authority and wanting to be given information that he needed to know, not just what someone thought he wanted to know.

Rivera fired defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio on Nov. 24 and took over the defensive playcalling duties for the final five games. Two days before the season finale, Rivera said handling the defense again showed how much he had missed that aspect of coaching.

"I enjoyed the heck of it," Rivera told ESPN. "I got away from it for 3½ seasons and really felt like I was more of a manager."

Rivera said at times "stupid stuff" would be brought to him and it "made no sense" that those things would be brought to his attention.

Rivera declined to say what those were, but added, "It was just stuff that shouldn't have been put on the head coach's plate. But at the time when I was dealing with it, I wasn't necessarily the head coach as much as I was the manager."

That's partly why he said he would not favor the coach-centric model that he was part of in Washington. Rivera said that was the deal presented to him by previous owner Dan Snyder. But Rivera said it was a difficult model, especially during a turbulent period that included multiple investigations of Snyder and the culture he created before Rivera arrived in January 2020.

"I would've loved a different model just because, in hindsight, now you really see how much more time you spend on personnel and as a coach, that's not necessarily what you want to do," he said. "What I really enjoyed more than anything else the last five weeks was just being right in the middle of everything. Now your only focus is just that one thing. That's what you do; you want to teach."

Rivera said he still believes Sam Howell can be a starting quarterback in the NFL, but he regrets how he handled the situation. Rivera announced last offseason that Howell would enter the team's workouts as the No. 1 quarterback. Howell ended up starting all 17 games, throwing for 21 touchdowns and 21 interceptions.

"I took a big gamble," Rivera said. "I put a lot on Sam, and I probably shouldn't have put as much pressure on him, and I think that was probably one of the mistakes I made this year. He didn't deserve to have that put on him. He's a good young quarterback, has some talent and some ability, and I think that's something I should have backed off on.

"I should have kept emphasizing he was going to be the guy that got the first opportunity. ... Just phrasing it that way would've taken a lot of pressure off of him, just kind of that he hadn't been anointed."

But, Rivera said, even though Harris fired him, he likes what he has seen from this ownership group.

"The organization is a very good position," he said. "If there's one thing that we can say over the four years, it's that I think the culture is headed in the direction it needs to be headed.

"I think what Mr. Harris and his group want to do and the way they're going to approach things, I think it's going to be very efficient. I think the focus is now on the football team."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39330080/ron-rivera-says-wants-coach-even-dc

Absolute load of ****. For me, he is my most hated coach to come out of the Snyder era. Given the depth out there with folks who have done well most recently as DCs, why would you hire Ron? Maybe he gets a job as a position coach + assistant head coach title

• Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The same appoint applies to us if we go with a D coordinator.

My guy Canales is the dark horse in many HC searches. If I am Canales, I am trying to bring my longtime colleague and mentor Waldron with me as my OC so that I can focus on being a HC

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, method man said:

Absolute load of ****. For me, he is my most hated coach to come out of the Snyder era. Given the depth out there with folks who have done well most recently as DCs, why would you hire Ron? Maybe he gets a job as a position coach + assistant head coach title

It would be fitting if he's relegated to coaching LBs considering how little he valued the spot.

As for him saying teams are interested.  Tough for me to buy its for a big role.   Most of the teams with vacancies aren't hiring coordinators, yet because they haven't hired a head coach.

Tough for me to imagine its the Giants considering how much they owned this team. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Philly, should fire the both Coordinators first, D was not if better than Wash. Offense took a dump after teams blitzed them often, no design to fix it, were have we heard that?

Perhaps, but I’m not sure that’s the answer either. Not that it’s the most monumental task to continue where the previous guys left off, but both coordinators, especially on defense had to deal with a lot of change.  I think losing Gardner-Johnson hurt their backend quite a bit, which like us allows offenses to beat you with quicker passing negating the rush, which I never believed Philly was elite at in the first place.  

Offensively, they got away from the QB run stuff with Jalen, which made their offense dynamic because it’s too much to defend. Only being 2 dimensional and relying heavily on the deep ball is high risk high reward, plus they lost the turnover battle this year. 

My point is between all the change it would be hard for any coach to replicate last years success, so I’m not sure I don’t bring my guys back utilizing lessons learned or ask my team to learn 2 NEW systems, risking Hurts’ development in the process. They’re in a tough spot.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

When can teams hire coordinators? 

I think whenever they want to. 

There is an “in person interview ban” until next Wednesday for everybody currently employed by an NFL team for HCs.

However i don’t think that applies to coordinators.  

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, 80's Fan said:

It's real, after all these years BUT we have a very decent owner & now GM who know the criteria of what they want.

They'll get their best guy  

I’m with you to the extent I may need a new SN.  I am very happy to just have a normal team with aspirations to be good.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The level of disingenuousness Rivera is able to summon at will is either an insight into how much the cancer took out of him, mentally—or a sign that he isn’t the virtuous, honorable man everyone gives him credit for being. He literally spoke many times that first offseason about how Snyder sold him on the “coach centric” approach that GAVE him all that power and responsibility he’s now lamenting shouldn’t be on a head coaches plate. And he isn’t saying it in a reflective way, like he’s learned a lesson and shouldn’t have wanted all that power and responsibility. He’s saying it like it was foisted upon him unfairly and distracted him from his “real” job as HC. The dude is either operating with less mental capacity than he was five years ago, or he’s full of ****. Gotta be one or the other. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It would be fitting if he's relegated to coaching LBs considering how little he valued the spot.

As for him saying teams are interested.  Tough for me to buy its for a big role.   Most of the teams with vacancies aren't hiring coordinators, yet because they haven't hired a head coach.

Tough for me to imagine its the Giants considering how much they owned this team. 

The guys he is closest with around the league are the Eagles guys from the 99 staff. Reid is set with Spags and I see Harbaugh promoting the next guy on the staff vs hiring Ron when Macdonald leaves

I believe Ron burned his bridge with the Bills guys over the McKissic fiasco. 

22 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I am sure I will get a bunch of people arguing something I am not saying here, but winning the Super Bowl should not be the only determinant if an organization/GM/coach/QB yadda, yadda, yadda is successful.

Winning the Super Bowl is ****ing hard. Not only do you have to be a great team, a lot has to go your way too, completely out of your control: penalties, borderline calls, injuries, a fumble randomly bouncing one way instead of another, a squirrel running onto the field at a pivotal moment (anyone who gets that reference gets a gold star). One bad day and you're done. 

Case in point: Andy Reid is widely considered a HOF coach and one of, if not the best coach currently in the NFL. He won his first title in his 20th year coaching. He made it to the SB ONCE before that. The number of coaches to win more than one title is very small. 14 in the history of the NFL (since the Super Bowl became a thing). 4 have won more than two: Belichick, Noll, Walsh, and Gibbs. Shula? 33 years, 2 titles. Landry, 2 in 29. Reid, 2 in 25.Tomlin, 1 in 17. Cowher, 1 in 15. Carroll, 1 in 18. John Harbaugh, 1 in 16. No one in their right mind would say these are not great coaches.

So, just pointing out "this type of coach won a super bowl, while this draft pick won a super bowl" is dumb and really myopic. It ignores so many other variables. I want an organization that is constantly biting at the apple. That are always there. That consistent winner that always has an opportunity for that call, that bounce, that chance. Yes, of course I want to win a dozen championships, but given how incredibly difficult it is to win just one, we should focus on consistently contending. Then maybe the chips fall for us once or twice.

Excellent post. It’s hard to articulate why those posts about “this is the pedigree of SB winning QB’s” are so annoying but this pretty much lays it out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Conn said:

The level of disingenuousness Rivera is able to summon at will is either an insight into how much the cancer took out of him, mentally—or a sign that he isn’t the virtuous, honorable man everyone gives him credit for being. He literally spoke many times that first offseason about how Snyder sold him on the “coach centric” approach that GAVE him all that power and responsibility he’s now lamenting shouldn’t be on a head coaches plate. And he isn’t saying it in a reflective way, like he’s learned a lesson and shouldn’t have wanted all that power and responsibility. He’s saying it like it was foisted upon him unfairly and distracted him from his “real” job as HC. The dude is either operating with less mental capacity than he was five years ago, or he’s full of ****. Gotta be one or the other. 

Agree.  Ditto him loving to use micro excuses for why the macro sucked.  He did it during his whole tenure, it was always some excuse as if the foundation was terrific but he was foiled by something small-isolated.  And his loyalties shifted on a dime.   First it was Haskins.  Then the lack of maturity of Sweat and Chase.  Then he pumped Howell up, and then threw him under the bus as the season progressed.     

We've had those odd stories about Alex and Ron not seeing eye to eye.  Trent.  Jamin Davis.  Pumped to get Forbes in the draft then blamed him for the early defensive woes.  Defending Wentz like he was his son to after the end of the season implying that he was the problem.

Loved Dan and pumped him up through most of his tenure including after the sale.  Then blamed Dan in that article to Mike Silver that his tenure was marred by him.

He was all over the place and in a bad way.  He's lucky the national media loves him and will have his back -- and maybe that helps him get a job but locally I think Ron ends up a punchline. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Remember, Ron cares A LOT about perception.  Of course he’s going to put out into the atmosphere that he’s got opportunities.

Agree.  Especially if he doesn't get a real job offer.  He can say it just didn't feel like the "right opportunity". 

• Like 3