Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

I know no outcome is set in stone. But think about this: the hiring process for Bob Myers and Spielman was set in motion towards the end of the season. Do you really think Harris wasn't gathering opinions and counsel about the GM and HC positions prior to that? Of course he was.

I believe Harris and ownership are open-minded to what their consultants and SMEs tell them. But I also have a hunch they brought on Myers to get Peters and Spielman to get Johnson through his brother Chris. I think Peters was 1/1A and Cunningham 1B/2, and I think Johnson is similarly the top dog on the wish list.

Obviously it may not work as it takes two to tango, but I think that's the plan.

1 hour ago, Command The 414 said:

……..and the only 2 coaches that are similar to a Reid are Bill Belichick (who we know isn’t the coach he was/is with Brady) 

Did Bbelichick not run the whole show?? Did he not nourish Brady and the whole team?? Don’t players/coaches leave NE and **** the bed??  Do u think we have any super bowls if we draft Brady?? Wasn’t the 1st 3 chips won by N.E by a FG?? What’s was on the tapes?? Worth a FG?? BB won SB’s as DC right??

Maybe in the end total control was something BB couldn’t handle anymore but to say he ain’t **** w/o Tom…..If BB had Peyton Manning he might’ve 5peated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Macdonald and Slowik are tied right now at #1

Johnson is #2

I don't have a 3 at the moment, but I know I do not want Bill B, Harbaugh or Dan Quinn. 

What’s your view on our OC role if we brought MacDonald in ?

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

More of a question for this thread's  discussions than a comment on particular candidate for HC

A,lot of the top candidates for Washington's next HC seem to be OCs who's offenses have well-designed schemes and putting up points, as well as some DCs whose defenses play with great passion and seem to be able to adjust effectively to the whatever their opponent's offense is trying to do.  Also, it seems like the top-tier of candidates can show how they have buy-in from their players on the quality of the tactical leadership of the coordinator, as well as to the value of coordinator's play-schemes.

My question is whether an OC or DC's  tactical smarts and innovative design ability plus their group's player buy-in of them, is all that's needed for being a great head coach.  My sense is it seems like head coaches have a wider range of important responsibilities, with different duties than those covered by an OC or DC.  If so, it got me wondering about the following:

-> Can an HC be able to dedicate as much time to the granular detailed work involved with the tactical level of running an offense or defense? 

-> Are there other things an HC has to be good at, such as managing the front office, media relations, etc -- that an OC or DC didn't usually have to deal with? 

-> If the DC or OC was really hands-on in his approach to working with his particular group, what happens when they as an HC has to rely on an intermediary coach?  (It seems like the higher up you go in a business, the more you have to loosen the reins on things you handled personally, and manage others to do it, in your p!ace.  And sometimes managing middle- managers is different than managing rank and file.)

These are just questions I'm wondering about and whether these kinds of issues might play a role in the criteria used by the front office's committee seeking to bring in an HC.  and so, I'm curious on what other  ES''ers' might have as thoughts/opinions on this topic.

One additional issue that might also,come into play:  There have been some instances where HCs decide to directly take on OC or DC responsibilities, in addition to their HC duties.  What are your thoughts on that approach?  Wouldn't this detract from the HC performing due diligence on some important HC responsibilities?  Is such an approach effective or viable for an HC to do for a,long time, or do  things get dropped?

The short answer to your question is that a HC has to be as much an administrator and manager as they do a coach. They vary a lot in how much they manage versus coach, though. Ideally, they're focused primarily on coaching the coaches, making sure they have the tools to do their jobs effectively, and making final decisions on rosters and schemes. Many also take playcalling duties even if they're not the primary designers of the offense and defense.

It's a complex job, which is why it's rarely a good idea for them to also be the GM.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Hmmm, I wonder who Johnson is meeting with first on Friday, the Commanders or the Panthers?

Do you think it makes a difference one way or the other? No deal is getting done Friday, regardless. We gotta bring in at least two minority candidates for in-person interviews after the divisional round. Raheem Morris will prob be one of them, and then depending on game outcomes Anthony Weaver and Aaron Glenn could come in as well. Maybe Dave Canales though we haven't heard about an interview request for him. 

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

What’s your view on our OC role if we brought MacDonald in ?

Pluck someone from the Shanahan tree? I don't know, I'd have to trust whomever Macdonald brought in and thought was best.

I think it would be a similar to the DeMeco situation in Houston. He oversees the defense because he knows that side of the ball thus giving a lot of power and freedom to Slowikoin managing the offense. 

A first time HC and first time OC is scary but they've proven it can work with the right hires. 

• Thanks 1

By Adam's little speaking it seems like they know who they're HC will be.  I still think it's Ben Johnson.  I could be off the wall with this but if not Ben it just seems like they already know.  

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Hesitated when asked about the current roster. lol

He knows there will be a lot of turnover.